I cannot drive economically in Europe (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
A remap won’t do any harm and will pay for itself in no time. You could enquire about having the power band changed for more torque in the middle, and lose a bit off the top end. I had this done on my Volvo 38 tonner and nobody could catch me up hills. I used to plod along at 56 as it was the most economical speed. 12.3 to the gallon. It was 11 mpg beforehand. UK to Greece the good old days.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Fiat ducato euro 6 60mph 1700 rpm pulls lovely 30 mpg. If your struggling you need more horses simple remap ??
Does it truly remain a Euro 6 after a remap? I have no idea but sooner or later I suspect someone is going to start questioning whether remapped vehicles qualify for low emission zones etc. What is the point of having engine regulations if the moment the vehicles leave the dealer they can be altered to something different. I am not preaching here, just questioning how long remapping may go unnoticed. I am sure the manufacturers would much rather we all payed them £1,000s for the higher output engines, so they could well be the first to start shouting.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Does it truly remain a Euro 6 after a remap? I have no idea but sooner or later I suspect someone is going to start questioning whether remapped vehicles qualify for low emission zones etc. What is the point of having engine regulations if the moment the vehicles leave the dealer they can be altered to something different. I am not preaching here, just questioning how long remapping may go unnoticed. I am sure the manufacturers would much rather we all payed them £1,000s for the higher output engines, so they could well be the first to start shouting.
Part of the WLTP regulations covers the prevention by manufacturers of access to ECUs to write or alter settings that may affect emissions.

Several manufacturers have already gone further.

I don't think it has as yet been introduced on the Ducato, but Fiat have implemented a Secure Gateway Device onto several newer vehicles, which prevents any access to the canbus other than to read fault codes, by anyone except their dealer network. It also has the effect of preventing malicious coding if keys or immobiliser bypass by criminals ...

EXCEPT that hackers have already circumvented it and bypass devices are already available on the market.

But similar devices are coming across all manufacturers.

Of course the Secure Gateway won't stop direct programming of the engine ECU by removing it from the vehicle, but some manufacturers have introduced write once ECUs which burn themselves on any attempt to reprogram them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi, now retired in France & just flogged our Hymer & Honda CRV both diesel automatics. We bought a 2018 Westfalia Jules Verne pop top on a Mercedes Vito chassis, only 5.4m & 2m high. We use it as our only transport. Used locally so far & get up to the equivalent of 44mpg. Tend to accelerate slowly & no use of accelerator when going downhill! We have a trip back to UK so far & prepared with very different kit to our Hymer days. Also tend to stick to speed limits of 50kph in villages, 80kph on open road & 130kph on motorways. We love it though not had our maiden camp yet & that may change!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have no idea but sooner or later I suspect someone is going to start questioning whether remapped vehicles qualify for low emission zones etc.
No one questions how cars are mechanically modified to be able to be A framed ,so negating their CoC ,so why do you think this would be any different?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My van ( 5.25 t and usually well loaded up ! ) has a 2.3 litre lump and will happily cruise at 50 in top.. and the figure of 2k rpm at 60 is the same as ours.
Seems that you will benefit from a remap ( gives more torque ) .. We had our done and MPG jumped from 19 to 21.. and on a recent 500 mile round trip to Blackpool for some reason it shot up to 25.3 !

Told you last time, It` all downhill. :LOL:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had a similar experience:- Viz. 6 speed (diesel automatic) car, In 6th @60mph, it would pull an indicated 54mpg, but would not engage 6th below 54mph. However after the L-A dropped the limit on the A1079 to 50mph. The car would never engage 6th, and was producing less that 50mpg in 5th. (and probably higher emissions?). how`s that for a "green" policy?.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We have just arrived back from a 5 week trip down through France and Spain and back to Suffolk, via Dover and Calais, covering a total of 2,486 miles averaging 27.2mpg. We have a Adria Matrix 670SL based on a Fiat Ducato 2.3, 130hp with Comformatic on a 3850kg chassis

This is the 3rd similar trip we have made in the last 18months. The difference on this trip compared to the 2 previous trips is we used the Autoroutes and Autopista for c35% of the trip driving at 100-120kph compared to a more leisurely 80kph and 28.5mpg on previous trips. Surprisingly the difference in MPG is so marginal its not worth worrying about.

I apricate there's the toll charges to add, but looking purely at MPG there's very little to be gained from driving conservatively.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Thank you Derry Wilson.
I am at present sitting at Cite of Europe after 5 months touring Spain and Portugal.
I really do not know my consumption as the readout is in litres and kilometres and could read 28.3 which just might mean mpg.
I have noticed a large drop in consumption when usin 6th gear. This based on two fill ups in France going south and making a determined effort to travel on roads where 110 and 130 were possible, I filled up near Pergeoux and should get home to Bedfordshire on that tank full.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Recently moved onto the 150bhp Comformatic and it pulls like a train solo but not towed trailer or car with it yet. Economy is probably not great yet but my last two MH bought from new were like the old adage about a fine wine improving with age. So I dont worry too much about economy in the 1st year or two,more about reliability and build quality and for a mid range A class I am more than pleased so far, especially as I have never been over impressed with so called German quality.Paying 80k or more for the base van then buying the extras on top has never impressed me,

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Just done 2400 miles round trip Scotland/ France ,New 2.3 fiat ,180bhp 8.6L X 3.3h , 5ton , average mpg on the trip was 24.8 Driving very conservatively, MH is not aerodynamic more like a barn door , speed or head winds are the game changer for me

463DB95A-90BA-48C1-B0F5-B7CFA2FF077A.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back