Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Guys am I missing something here I can understand that it boosts your wifi sig and gives you more distance but what signal are you picking up that's not got password protection

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That would depend on where you are..

There are lots of places we use.. such as Maccy D's, various cafes and bars.. And in the UK if you are a sky or BT user lord knows how many 'hot spots' :thumb:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

If you are a BT broadband customer you can use your normal log in, otherwise you can buy a FON simpl box and plug it into your router at home then once you have set it up and registered you can use any BT FON hot spot.

There will be other ways but these are the one I know about.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Also a lot of campsites offer free wifi but it is sometimes limited to around the reception area so using the IBoost means you can sometimes get the signal in the comfort of your motorhome::bigsmile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Also a lot of campsites offer free wifi but it is sometimes limited to around the reception area so using the IBoost means you can sometimes get the signal in the comfort of your motorhome::bigsmile:

Better than that often they only let you log on to one computer but via i Boost you can connect several thingies

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Can anyone explain in more detail how the Fonera works ?

https://shop.fon.com/en/product/fonera-1

We have one, simply connect to your existing home router, register with fon get your username and password. You can then use all the fon hotspots wherever you or they are.
You must leave it on as you are creating your own hotspot and fon 'ping' it now and then to ensure it is still on.
We have just returned from France and used FON in several places using our telescopic mast and booster antenna with a USB router.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Personally I think it's only worth the money if you use sites.

We do and whether it's free wifi ( from reception) or paid wifi, the 4 of us get to use it at one price.

If you want free, don't use it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds excellent ! I shall investigate further ( such as what countries their hotspots are ? )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, found it :thumb:
France and the UK is well sorted but as we are gonna be in Germany and the spots are pretty sparse there, I will hang dire until we get back ( spend my lolly on a German SIM.. In fact just mailed one of my mates there who is gonna get it for me next month :winky:

Must say, looks like a stonking idea all round though !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

We do and whether it's free wifi ( from reception) or paid wifi, the 4 of us get to use it at one price.

Hi Chris

Not sure I understand your reasoning when you say only if you use sites, I guess that you are saying that you can pay once for site WiFi and connect four devices, which is good.

We are with FUN at Stratford and have been on WiFi all week using a Fon connection the other side of the racecourse.

Martin

Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

I would have to disagree with you, I have used it several times on this trip to get free wifi via FON hotspots that I otherwise wouldn't have picked up. It has also picked up other unlocked wifi points that enabled me to access the web. As you say it is great for using multiple gadgets but it is also great for accessing free networks that would otherwise be out of range. Also useful to check for free hotspots if a site is charging for wifi as it saves having to pay their charge :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. done what research I can and have now bit the bullet and ordered one !! :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would have to disagree with you, I have used it several times on this trip to get free wifi via FON hotspots that I otherwise wouldn't have picked up. It has also picked up other unlocked wifi points that enabled me to access the web. As you say it is great for using multiple gadgets but it is also great for accessing free networks that would otherwise be out of range. Also useful to check for free hotspots if a site is charging for wifi as it saves having to pay their charge :thumb:

I have been able to do that in the Uk, but never when abroad.

I particularly enjoyed using it at a C&CC site a few weeks ago when a rather haughty warden pointed out to me that I could buy a voucher but it will only serve one gadget.

Not with my iboost I muttered to myself as leaving the office::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a feeling with the addition of this widget I have taken WiFi as far as I can now..

This at home, coupled to the iBoost should see me right in an awful lot of places !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have a feeling with the addition of this widget I have taken WiFi as far as I can now..

This at home, coupled to the iBoost should see me right in an awful lot of places !

I wouldn't get too excited about fon, ok, with iboost you may get on better, but France is a hell of a big place and even though it looks as if the hotspots are nearly touching, they are far from it, we were there for a fortnight a while ago and only once found a fon signal and then it wasn't as good as the one on my O2 phone:Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I appreciate that Chaser.. But this, added to my errrr 'knowledge' of BT hot spots ( :winky: ) will cover as many bases as is reasonably possible..
And lets face it, the access points are likely to increase in numbers rather than decrease as time goes by :thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I appreciate that Chaser.. But this, added to my errrr 'knowledge' of BT hot spots ( :winky: ) will cover as many bases as is reasonably possible..
And lets face it, the access points are likely to increase in numbers rather than decrease as time goes by :thumb:

Agreed, and although there are plenty knockers of bt, I find in the uk you can get a bt wifi almost anywhere, I have a phone with the bt wifi app on it and it makes a noise when it finds a signal , it is almost embarrassing when it keeps going off as you walk around town as it finds a new signal:thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What is the difference from using this ................

http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/wifi-repeater/

with one of these .........

http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/usb-wifi-antenna/

which seems to work well and is much cheaper. :Blush:

there is very little difference, software on the two units is different but in principle they work the same , i have been using this wifi repeater now for about 3years and had no problems at all and save a few quid compared to the cost of the iboost:Smile:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Or you can make it up yourself some kit from Solwise - and you have a bit of IT knowledge, so there are other options - Sorry Addie! ::bigsmile:

Cheers

Last edited:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can anyone explain in more detail how the Fonera works ?

There is some information here which might help:
Broken Link Removed

there is very little difference, software on the two units is different but in principle they work the same

The principal is similar (taking a WiFi signal and re-broadcasting it) - but that is where the similarities end I'm afraid. We used to sell the USB rockets when we first started out, for the price point they are great - a throwaway price - but I'm afraid I can't recommend the USB routers as they can be problematic as we found out when we sold them for a short time.

There is almost no 'right or wrong' way to boost a WiFi signal, because you have no control over the other side of the link so every tool will perform differently. But we like to think that the testimonials for the iBoost system speak for themselves both in terms of the product performance and support :Smile:

Adam

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers Adam,,
I think the Fon thing used in conjunction with your system will be pretty useful for us.

As a bonus I can dump the present repeater I have in the house too..

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There is some information here which might help:
Broken Link Removed

The principal is similar (taking a WiFi signal and re-broadcasting it) - but that is where the similarities end I'm afraid. We used to sell the USB rockets when we first started out, for the price point they are great - a throwaway price - but I'm afraid I can't recommend the USB routers as they can be problematic as we found out when we sold them for a short time.

There is almost no 'right or wrong' way to boost a WiFi signal, because you have no control over the other side of the link so every tool will perform differently. But we like to think that the testimonials for the iBoost system speak for themselves both in terms of the product performance and support :Smile:

Adam

i have used my usb router in the van and in guest houses and apartments we have rented and never once has it not performed as it should in the 3 years of ownership:thumb: , there are better aerials than the rocket , and i use one from alfa networks who make the usb router, for the cost of the usb set up its value for money:thumb:, can not comment on the iboost as i dont own one

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I have been able to do that in the Uk, but never when abroad.

I particularly enjoyed using it at a C&CC site a few weeks ago when a rather haughty warden pointed out to me that I could buy a voucher but it will only serve one gadget.

Not with my iboost I muttered to myself as leaving the office::bigsmile:

I might start keeping a record of the hotspots I find on my travels and add a new page to my blog as this may help others. I must admit I have found more than I expected so far ::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yup, found it :thumb:
France and the UK is well sorted but as we are gonna be in Germany and the spots are pretty sparse there, I will hang dire until we get back ( spend my lolly on a German SIM.. In fact just mailed one of my mates there who is gonna get it for me next month :winky:

Must say, looks like a stonking idea all round though !

Jaws.....I don't Know where Chris is coming from?????.we never use campsites.... we are in the uk at the moment, on the east of yorkshire coast next to the sea in a field on a ccc holiday site...connected to BT/Fon...and have been for 5 weeks....3 days moved into top side of Brid to the sister-inlaws drive and we have been on excellent signals...I also purchased a 3gb "3" sim...the sim has hardly been used, and what the sim was used for is private transactions....we live in france and use the SFR /FON connection all over France....in fact my FON box in France is being used at the moment...as it tells me when somebody is using it:thumb: ......I have the old booster from MHW...and that is excellent, but it is one usb connection only, where my new iBoost does the same but wifi and I can use two laptops one android pad and one android smart phone....
also as said you can connect to the campsite from your own van...also if the site is on BTopenzone you can get it for free, as most of the campsites charge for wifi?? also Mcdons...and many other free site asda supermarket do a free wifi....as so many supermarkets do in France leclerc...superU....so I think chris has it all wrong unless I have read his reply wrong!!! ...ask Laneside who was parked next to me on the same signal:thumb: we are pointing out to sea......there was 4 that I know all connected

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I wouldn't get too excited about fon, ok, with iboost you may get on better, but France is a hell of a big place and even though it looks as if the hotspots are nearly touching, they are far from it, we were there for a fortnight a while ago and only once found a fon signal and then it wasn't as good as the one on my O2 phone:Doh:

Chaser Yes you are correct ..BUT you are not on wired paid internet... you are sharing somebody else's FREE wifi....and if you are in the wild with nothing else around you for miles and miles what do you expect, you can not expext a fon signal...
Fon in France is mainly on a SFR router..like BT in the UK..or the few that have Fon boxes like myself..
I travel all over France and it is very rare that I can not get onto a Fon/SFR signal..
Chaser have you covered much of france or is it your first/second time over in a motorhome ..

But if this happens I fall back onto my mifi SFR sim...like I do in the uk mifi "3" sim

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Everyone seems to have missed a trick with the iBoost or bought separately, similar.
When my wife and I go away it is always me has to connect her phone, tablet and/or PC to the internet. If I have problems or if the signal is intermittent etc. it is me who gets it in the neck. "You're supposed to be a computer engineer aren't you?" Is the usual comment.
Now with a mifi and an iBoost look-alike she automatically logs on to either painlessly.
I still have to source the signal etc but, like a swan gliding across a lake, all the action is out of sight.
Peace remains in camp and I can get on with more important projects like watching the grass grow and having a drink or two.
Wonderful products, I believe Addie's is easier to set up than an off the shelf job.
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back