I blame Jim (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Well our life has suddenly turned upside down and it’s all Jim’s fault!! We finally managed a short break away 2 weeks ago and spent 3 lovely nights at Jim’s place before heading to the Peak District. We were very impressed by the areas around Sutton on Sea and Jim mentioned how cheap the house prices were and that several Funsters had sold up and moved there. Well fast forward 2 weeks and our bungalow went on the market at the weekend and we had 2 viewings Monday. The second couple offered immediately and a deal was struck. Oh my goodness I expected it to be weeks yet!! We’ve agreed not to tie up our purchase to complete the chain so Jim’s punishment is that he might end up with us on site for a few weeks while we find the perfect place for us and parking or storage for Hermione. In fairness although we had never planned on moving it has become increasingly frequent that poor Glynn has had to do a 7 hr round trip to Sheffield to help his mum who has dementia so this means we will only be 90 minutes from her but still close enough to my son. We are driving up in the car tomorrow and have 9 viewings booked back to back so that will be fun and then hopefully we’ll go back next week in the motorhome and stay at Jims to do any more viewings or second viewings. Let’s hope the sun shines next week or we’ll get very wet cycling to all the houses :cycle::cycle::rofl::rofl:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes I've lost count now of the number of people who have stayed with us, and fresh from walking on the beach and while eating a bag of Waldo's finest. happen to look into the estate agents window, see those prices, and decide to move here. You're the second this month! Best of luck, and if we can be of any help. just shout (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Yes I've lost count now of the number of people who have stayed with us, and fresh from walking on the beach and while eating a bag of Waldo's finest. happen to look into the estate agents window, see those prices, and decide to move here. You're the second this month! Best of luck, and if we can be of any help. just shout (y)
Thanks Jim, I’ll be in touch in the next few days to book a pitch so hope you have some space left for next week :rofl:

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
My late parents sold their London ex council house as soon as it was allowed and moved to Sutton on Sea. My uncle and another aunt followed them soon after. They were all very happy there. There's a good reason why the houses are not expensive: I was reminded why when we camped at 'The Back of Beyond' recently... :Smile:
John

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Pretty sure it was Sutton on Sea where we walked down a long winding street of mainly bungalows that had brand new tarmac driveways with little sparkly bits embedded in them.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Yep, we were that other couple, and we found the perfect house, but the agent would not let us view it whilst we were there because we had not sold our house! We came straight home and put ours in the market, got an offer, arranged to go back to Jim’s, booked another viewing but then the agent called to tell us that they were cancelling the viewing as they had sold it. Pretty sure we would have made the offer at full asking price if they had allowed us to view it when we were there but we’ll never know now will we!

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Yep, we were that other couple, and we found the perfect house, but the agent would not let us view it whilst we were there because we had not sold our house! We came straight home and put ours in the market, got an offer, arranged to go back to Jim’s, booked another viewing but then the agent called to tell us that they were cancelling the viewing as they had sold it. Pretty sure we would have made the offer at full asking price if they had allowed us to view it when we were there but we’ll never know now will we!
We had something similar. We saw a lovely Barn Conversion for sale, close to where we live. We viewed it, but they declined our offer because our house was not on the market. We contacted an Estate agent, and had a viewing the same day - they had not even measured up or taken photos! We sold to them, but increasing offers on the barn were refused, to we bought elsewhere. The Barn Conversion subsequently sold 6 months later for £50k less than our best offer ... and that was at 1992 house prices.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is God's Waiting Room. Most houses don't make the property websites. This is our experience of what happens.

Lots of elderly people, when someone dies, more often than not, dependents want a quick sale to split the cash.

If you are a cash buyer and the agent knows you are sat on a local campsite ready to buy, they call you first, you look and buy.

A motorhomer can sell their home, put their stuff in storage and live in their van in the area, till they see the right house and can move quickly like this to secure it. Easy money for the agent, quick sale for the owners and the buyer has first pick. Meanwhile, if you are on my site I'm getting paid too :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A quick look on Right Move confirms it - some remarkably low prices. I don't think erosion is an issue on that bit of coast but worth checking wherever you buy.

Best wishes. :)
A good look at the environment agency flood risk map is a very good idea. You can simply enter the postcode.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
This is God's Waiting Room. Most houses don't make the property websites. This is our experience of what happens.

Lots of elderly people, when someone dies, more often than not, dependents want a quick sale to split the cash.

If you are a cash buyer and the agent knows you are sat on a local campsite ready to buy, they call you first, you look and buy.

A motorhomer can sell their home, put their stuff in storage and live in their van in the area, till they see the right house and can move quickly like this to secure it. Easy money for the agent, quick sale for the owners and the buyer has first pick. Meanwhile, if you are on my site I'm getting paid too :D
That’s exactly what we plan on doing rather than rushing to buy something. I hope your site is open all winter :rofl:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A good look at the environment agency flood risk map is a very good idea. You can simply enter the postcode.

The place flooded in great floods almost 70 years ago in 1953. But the sea defences have been built since then and no one here worries about flooding, luckily we have no river flooding either.

We thought our premiums would reflect some flood risk, but they were not interested in flooding events over 25 years old and our premium was not loaded at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back