I backed my Comanche into a balcony and the railing punched a hole in the fibreglass just below roof level, what's the best way to repair it ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
I backed my Comanche into a balcony and the railing punched a hole in the fibreglass just below roof level, what's the best way to repair it ?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
A picture paints a thousand words

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you can get grp small repair kits on line mostly from boat parts place.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
could you weld the railing/balcony back together (assuming its a metal railing of course)? :rolleyes:

-- sorry, couldnt resist

as a temp fix have you considered expanding foam? though it would also prob set hard enough and be flexible enough to carry out a fibreglass/resin patch over it.

a lot of work afterwards sanding etc and you could get a really good DIY repair - or could you put some sort of deval over the repaired area to hide it?

i feel your pain, all reversing cameras concentrate on the bottom of the vehicle - overhanging obstructions can be just as bad or someone helping/watching you back doesnt look up

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
could you weld the railing/balcony back together (assuming its a metal railing of course)? :rolleyes:

-- sorry, couldnt resist

as a temp fix have you considered expanding foam? though it would also prob set hard enough and be flexible enough to carry out a fibreglass/resin patch over it.

a lot of work afterwards sanding etc and you could get a really good DIY repair - or could you put some sort of deval over the repaired area to hide it?

i feel your pain, all reversing cameras concentrate on the bottom of the vehicle - overhanging obstructions can be just as bad or someone helping/watching you back doesnt look up
Iminstalled twin cameras, one for the rearward view of the road and the other looking down at the ground below.Has not stopped me backing into things though

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Iminstalled twin cameras, one for the rearward view of the road and the other looking down at the ground below.Has not stopped me backing into things though
we also have a proximity sensor at the back, which i rely on more than the camera BUT it doesnt warn of high hazards either - perhaps that is something manufacturers should consider fitting .....

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
we also have a proximity sensor at the back, which i rely on more than the camera BUT it doesnt warn of high hazards either - perhaps that is something manufacturers should consider fitting .....
Yebbut, has..... horse....after.......bolted.....the...........door........ stable..........the............ shutting......has.....
The OP already has a hole in his m/h and wants advice on how to fix it.
I'd try a f/glass repair kit (matting, filler etc.) or take it to a car body repairer.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
I accidentally ripped the rear bumper of my last motorhome turning the blasted thing around.

I was going to order a new bumper from Pilote at £1000 plus fitting.

I went to a local car body shop. They rebuilt fibreglass bumper for £400 and I could not tell the difference.

If it was me, I would have it professionally fixed and paint touched up and matched.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Brilliant , I laughed out loud when I read this.
Not half as much as i did when I first read the original post. (Shouldnt laugh, I've managed to rip a campsite reception gutter off before and all my van needed was a high level reflector to cover the gouge.

And than there was the time I snapped the campsite barrier, late at night, when it lowered between my van and the bikes on the bike rack. The warden had it all on video though and tried to blame me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back