Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I am doing this post using the 3 - miff I purchased... closed down my normal home server and have now managed to get on line with the mifi.... I purchased this for use in the RV.. so I can use the wifi when away.. I got it from a 3 store with 12g valid for 12 months £140 ish .. seems to do what it says on the tin..

oh well back to the normal settings

Bob

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It certainly does Bob, thats why I happily recomend them. Does what it says on the tin, as they say

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have just done the same Bob. Waiting for them to arrive.

I however purchased an unlocked MIGI (E5331) from ebay and a 12G 12 month card from amazon all in £100 including postage. Just another option for those looking to do something similar on the cheap. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I am doing this post using the 3 - miff I purchased... closed down my normal home server and have now managed to get on line with the mifi.... I purchased this for use in the RV.. so I can use the wifi when away.. I got it from a 3 store with 12g valid for 12 months £140 ish .. seems to do what it says on the tin..

Bob
been useing mifi for the last 12months and nothing else,as fast as my bt broadband was before i cancled it 15GB a month for 20 quid a month:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Waiting for ours to arrive Bob -also bought it to use in the van :thumb:
hope it works :whatthe:::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We hope to see this weekend

Waiting for ours to arrive Bob -also bought it to use in the van :thumb:
hope it works :whatthe:::bigsmile:
terry

We hope Terry to test it out for real this weekend. According to 3 I should have no signal here.. but I got a strong one and used MHF as my test bed.. speeds and connection was good. so if it works in the RV better than my Vodafone dongle then I am a happy bunny.

I do like to be connected to the outside world when I am in the RV... OK with the phones, but it is the internet I want.

Hope Terry it works for you

Bob

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had mobile broadband with 3 for about 5 years now, starting with a standard dongle, then the 'white' version of the wifi, and now the latest 'black' one.

As we live in the "no man's land" called Hull it means we only have one provider of land-based broadband (Kingston Communications) available to us, which is expensive to say the least! So, when we were looking to sell up and move to an area outside of the Hull network, and the minimum contract length was 18 months, we couldn't see the point in staying with them and changed to 2 x mobile phones and mobile broadband.:Smile:

We've had quite a few problems with them, faulty dongles, mifis etc, and for the past few months horrendous difficulties meaning we could hardly get on line and if we did it would immediately drop off again ...:Doh: That doesn't mean that you will have the same problems, but something to be aware of if you are thinking of going down the same route as us (ie no land-line). :Confused:

Unless you have a 'snail' version of broadband, you will notice the difference when you use mifi, it cannot compete with land-line based broadband, but at times can be very good, and for when away in the camper in the UK it is a real boon. At home it means that both me and hubby can use our computers at the same time so saves arguments!::bigsmile:

As we are continuing customers we managed to get a very good deal (after a lot of wranging!) and now only pay £8.00 a month for 15gb:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Mines arriving soon:thumb:
I know it will work as i need , as recomended from here.
Will be fitting up in MH soon then testing out on the road :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Bob

Your not quite as frugal as you think you are Bob, jumped in with both feet (whoops, sorry) and bought the most expensive package without knowing if it was suitable for£140, you could have got the base deal for £49 with 1 gigfrom the 3 shop, proved it then got 3gig units for £12 to £13 readily available off EBay. Money no object Eh!!

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Exploring the various methods of connecting whilst in uk, retired last week and cancelled my O2 monthly mobile broadband contract. Was thinking of going the O2 PAYG route but the thought of paying up front for data downloads that only last a month on a use it or lose it system doe's not seem good economic sense.

So very interested in the Mifi option, and in hearing of funsters experiences and reviews.

Apologies if this hijacks the thread would someone who has road tested and has knowledge of Mifi care to start a dedicated thread.

Many thanks Bob for whetting our interest and sharing your thoughts. :thumb::thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Exploring the various methods of connecting whilst in uk, retired last week and cancelled my O2 monthly mobile broadband contract. Was thinking of going the O2 PAYG route but the thought of paying up front for data downloads that only last a month on a use it or lose it system doe's not seem good economic sense.

So very interested in the Mifi option, and in hearing of funsters experiences and reviews.

Apologies if this hijacks the thread would someone who has road tested and has knowledge of Mifi care to start a dedicated thread.

Many thanks Bob for whetting our interest and sharing your thoughts. :thumb::thumb:

I binned my O2 with six months left on the contract........I have the mifi 1,000 times better I have not suffered drop out (unlike O2 that was if there was a signal in the first place) even with a poor signal I can still get a conection even if a bit slow :thumb:

All the best Rick

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Mifi is certainly the way to go if your looking for mobile broadband. I have tried alsorts over the years, from usb dongles, dongles with aerials, dongles with routers to the mifi. all the dongles being usb are limited due to the internal technology used. The first mifi took some getting used to and occasionaly crashed, but the newer ones are great. pull in a good signal where dongles and phones sometimes struggle and have decent battery life. The latest mifi is capable of higher speeds dependant on the tower used, as the phone companies roll out the upgrade.

we did discuss the mifi last week if you look at the thread below
Broken Link Removed

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
tp link

Have a Mifi working now and just got this to pull in freebie wifi signals when off on EU trips.:thumb:
I can`t belive there are so many signals around where i am ,i never discovered them on my phone/laptop :thumb:
Seems a good gizmo for £12 ::bigsmile:
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003HVH1SS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00[/ame]

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
according to 3 no signal this area

Your not quite as frugal as you think you are Bob, jumped in with both feet (whoops, sorry) and bought the most expensive package without knowing if it was suitable for£140, you could have got the base deal for £49 with 1 gigfrom the 3 shop, proved it then got 3gig units for £12 to £13 readily available off EBay. Money no object Eh!!

According to 3 site map there is no range where I live.. but I purchased it for the RV not for home use... the fact it worked here is an added bonus, but as I have a good broadband at home I have no need to use it really at home.. I still have a vodafone dongle if I needed it. But this was purchased with the 12g that runs up to 12 months... As and when i need another sim I can look on ebay.. or just top up the one I have now in the MIFI.

Simples - have been know to pay top price for the odd thing now and then.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no problems

No problems .. pitch in. I have now tested it over a wide range of areas. So far it does what it says on the tin. I prefer to thither it to the MacBook... it also charges it from the laptop.

But the cradle that comes in the box is good and it charges the unit. I only have had the iPhone and the laptop connected using the mifi facilities ... but found it to be as fast as what I use at home.. So for me it was a good buy.I am sure you can get it cheaper if you hunt about on ebay. But the G shop is just down the road and I did not want to wait.

Bob

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Been using mine for 9 months now, I do the £20 for 3 months in the summer and just do a month now and then in the winter if we are out and about with the van, never failed to get a connection, great for emails fun etc just a bit slow if you want to add pictures to the forum. a great bit of kit.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've been using a 3 mifi for 3 months now in the van for 6 weeks and at home for the rest. We don't have a Bt line in our current house and don't want one as we're only here for 6 months while new house is being built. The mifi is brilliant in the house and van certainly as good as Bt was and cheaper. We got ours from a local 3 shop who were running a special offer. Paid £50 or £60 quid up front and £ 10 or 12 a month for 10 gig monthly running contract can cancel at anytime just pay to end of month. Used it everywhere we go just stick on the dash and its brilliant one charge lasts about 8 hours on the net, so far its the best bit of kit I've bought for ages plus bye bye BT::bigsmile: The robbin buggers charged me £98 to disconnect our phone when we sold the house after being connected for 21 years

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Mifi

I've seen the unlocked version of this and am wondering - is it the Mifi modem itself that seems to make this superior or logging onto the 3 Network? I assume I can transfer the Sim from my phone when necessary.

The reason in asking is that I'm with O2 and am on a very good (cheap tariff) :Smile:

Rob

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Post Again

Thought I'd post again in case no one spotted!

Rob

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I've seen the unlocked version of this and am wondering - is it the Mifi modem itself that seems to make this superior or logging onto the 3 Network? I assume I can transfer the Sim from my phone when necessary.

The reason in asking is that I'm with O2 and am on a very good (cheap tariff) :Smile:

Rob
I have a unlocked mifi modem--it works well anywhere with a prepaid 3g sim in it :thumb:
Better signal through it than what i get out of my phone.

I have tried the sim card from my phone --vodaphone - with data roaming on it for the phone , but it won`t work in the modem :Eeek:

I bought my modem for use in France as well-- so wont get charged ££££ for net use.
I may get one of these for it--unless anyone knows of a better deal?:thumb:

Link Removed

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Dont be SILLY:ROFLMAO:

Hi Bob......for those of us who are two sandwiches short of a picnic. Could you take a step back and explain this in toddler language ...just what you have done.
so I can understand ........it might just be a great idea if I understood what you are doing and the benefits

thanks

barry:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back