I am obviously having a blonde moment........... (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi again,

Whilst this MH searching is fun and all that, I have realised that I must be thick.

I have ben drooling over Hymer A class vehicles and their like and am eagerly waiting for my bank balance to hit the magic number so I (we) can get one. (don't even get me started on the Yank RV's or the 5th wheel trailers that I think I want!!)

This is an example of what I am looking at etc etc (this is todays favourite and subject to change at a whim!!) http://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/b-class/b-754/1633/

Now this is where the blonde (grey actually) bit comes in. Why would I spend 29k on a 15 year old van when I can get a 3 year old Rimor Katamarano 9 for the same price or less?

Is the difference in quality worth 13 years in age? I mean, I have kids and a dog so there is no way on this planet that whatever I buy will look nice for long!!!!

TLDR version.....why buy a 13 year old A Class when I can get a 3 year old Coachbuilt for the same or less?

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
IMO ... Travelworlds price is over the top for that year of Hymer..by about 9k

My B644, similar spec, roughly the same age, mine is 2001 , ... bought from Becks in Gt Yarmouth and cost £19k ..
just checked..no second hand Hymers in stock at present.

view here Broken Link Removed

another on the Forum.. slightly older and with slight damage , a bargain at £13.5 k http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/hymer-b-class.116456/#post-1562633

Comparing Hymer and Rimor is comparing apples and pears

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Don't buy in the UK is the answer......You want to buy a more recent van at a good price the only choice is to import a LHD one. Your link to a company that charges outrageous prices..the Hymer van we are looking at on their site for £20,000 more then I can import one for....

here are 2 from £18000:rolleyes:

Broken Link Removed

want a hand with the process of importing? there are many knowledgeable members on here. just ask:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hymer is a quality product and this does look like its in very good condition. However I would be concerned that a 2000 year will probably be pre common rail and therefore noisy and underpowered. I would try and get at least a 2.8 JTD.

You dont mention whether you have a p/ex? if not then Mobile.de is a good place to look but be prepared to travel and to look at some rubbish.

If you have a p/ex why not look around the dealers for something a little more modern, they will be keen to move stock before the winter sets in so expect to do a deal.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Here you go, 1999 Hymer A class for £68.00 :LOL:

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
I wasn't specifically after a Hymer. I was hypothetically wondering why I would buy a 13 year old vehicle (in this case the Hymer) over a 3 year old Katamarano for the same price.

My rationale was that surely a newer vehicle would be better, even though its a lower spec? Or am I comparing a Fiesta with a BMW 5 Series?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I wasn't specifically after a Hymer. I was hypothetically wondering why I would buy a 13 year old vehicle (in this case the Hymer) over a 3 year old Katamarano for the same price.

My rationale was that surely a newer vehicle would be better, even though its a lower spec? Or am I comparing a Fiesta with a BMW 5 Series?

Yes you are there is a massive difference in quality between a Hymer and a Rimor, in size as well in this case because AFAIK you cant buy a tag axle bar version Rimor. I really think you need to ask yourself what you are looking for.

I see this would be your first MH. What else have you looked at?

Jon

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Yes you are there is a massive difference in quality between a Hymer and a Rimor, in size as well in this case because AFAIK you cant buy a tag axle bar version Rimor. I really think you need to ask yourself what you are looking for.

I see this would be your first MH. What else have you looked at?

Jon

Everything!!!!!! (even considering American RV or 5th wheel)

At the end of the day, value for money is king. Followed closely by reliability. I cant be arsed with things that break down or need constant fixing!!!!!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Everything!!!!!! (even considering American RV or 5th wheel)

At the end of the day, value for money is king. Followed closely by reliability. I cant be arsed with things that break down or need constant fixing!!!!!

on that basis you are probably as well off with a PVC but I suspect price and value are not your only concerns..

for your first MH / van layout layout layout.. once you have your layout worked out then you can narrow your search to the vans that have that layout and from there look at the options and compare price and age.. bear in mind for some of the bigger A classes something 30 years old with one owner that used it for a fortnight a year and kept it in dry storage is perfectly plausible as is a 2 year old ex hire van that has been out every weekend with who knows using it and a few festivals thrown in for good measure. Age is really not everything

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You can go to Belgium on a day trip and get around a few decent dealers,look at their used stock and get a real idea on VHM.

here is ones used stock. good company easy to deal with 1 hr from Calais

edit: usually have more stock then this....

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back