I am gonna fit a small shelf.... (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rather than buying \ constructing a shelf could you glue (Araldite or similar) keyhole mounting brackets to the rear of the unit, put appropriate screws into the wall and hang the unit on them? Suppose it depends on the weight of the unit \ strength of the wall.
Just a thought.
Nothing visible but the unit itself.
That's what I was thinking too ... but without seeing what the unit itself is like I can't tell!

What make is it JJ? Any photos on the web?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Buy a new telly with a built in HD tuner box?

I mention this having no idea what an HD tuner box is. :)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You must have been asleep JJ when I've posted about my escapades with my power tools! (y) Go and sit on the naughty step for not paying attention! :D

I refuse... no rule says I have to read all your posts!

That's what I was thinking too ... but without seeing what the unit itself is like I can't tell!

What make is it JJ? Any photos on the web?

I have no idea what make it is... it was not me who posted about it... now who was it asking me to "pay attention"? :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'd second the idea of perspex. Not sure of the weight of the tuner but you can heat form a 90 degree lip (use a heatgun) and use that to screw to the wall. About 3 mm material should do it. Careful screwing it to the wall. It will crack if you overtighten.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I refuse... no rule says I have to read all your posts!
No there isn't but my user ID is Minxy Girl! ... you DO know the difference between boys and girls ... don't you???? :p

I have no idea what make it is... it was not me who posted about it... now who was it asking me to "pay attention"? :rofl:

JJ :cool:
You mean .... you and Jaws aren't the same person!!!! I thought Jaws was your 'alter ego' .... :ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oi ... I'm a girlie!!!! :p Mate indeed! :rolleyes:
You appear to have a male Mind(y)
Trust me, that's as high a compliment a Woman can receive from a male, akin to the George Cross;)
From me its an accolade, akin to being Knighted
Geo

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You appear to have a male Mind(y)
Trust me, that's as high a compliment a Woman can receive from a male, akin to the George Cross;)
From me its an accolade, akin to being Knighted
Geo
Does that mean that Jaws has a 'female' mind then seeing as he needs help ... :LOL:

Hmm ... now I'm beginning to wonder if it was a compliment or not! o_O:cool:;)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oh! believe me It was a compliment (in fact the only one ive ever given on Fun)
No. Jaws has also a male mind too having the logic to seek out alternatives (tha'ts not to say he will take any notice of any of them) the sign of a masculine male mind;)

The Female mind would have asked "What colour is the HDD and what is it?
Sorry ladies but you know its true
Tin Hat smiley has gone AWAL (he aint daft either)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Whilst down in Beni I borrowed a talktalk tuner and managed to tuck it up behind my Avtex held in place with....wait for it, cable ties. Worked perfectly and couldn't be seen.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ah .... sooooooooooo (no I'm NOT Chinese! :giggle:) me being a female and having some traits of a male mind means I'm more blessed than most males/females ... therefore I'm .....

absolutely ...

and utterly ...

a super woman!!! :D

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
@Minxy Girl I think we already knew that. :D:D
(I remember the photo of the tree felling escapade)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Whilst down in Beni I borrowed a talktalk tuner and managed to tuck it up behind my Avtex held in place with....wait for it, cable ties. Worked perfectly and couldn't be seen.

That position is already occupied with one of the hard drives !!
But even if I could use that method, it would not work as once again, the remote control could not 'see' the unit :-(

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. a few pics..
The first is where I would like to have the thing, under the telly:
P1010996.jpg

The next two are the unit its self.
I have taken the pics in front of standard 13amp wall sockets to give an idea of size.
As you will see the unit is pretty small !

P1010997.jpg
P1010998.jpg

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
If you are able to do a drawing or sketch with sizes etc I can make you a small white 6mm Corian shelf
You can then screw to the wall.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think it might still work with Velcro if you stick it to the wood panel below the TV with the front facing to the left and the rear facing right into the corner.

It depends how wide an angle the IR sensor has, but you could easily do a trial holding it on by hand and then check with the remote.

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
try a remote extender (magic eye) to allow you to 'move' the sensor to a more comvenient position....i use one with my sky box but needs an RF output.....not all sat tuners will have them..

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Owt here for you Mrs Jaws ?
might be sucking eggs but you never know

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IR_-_Extending_an_IR_receiver

Thought of that Geo, but it involves even MORE wiring widgets and costs !

If you are able to do a drawing or sketch with sizes etc I can make you a small white 6mm Corian shelf
You can then screw to the wall.

That is an extremely kind offer and I may well get back to you on it !

I think it might still work with Velcro if you stick it to the wood panel below the TV with the front facing to the left and the rear facing right into the corner.

It depends how wide an angle the IR sensor has, but you could easily do a trial holding it on by hand and then check with the remote.

One of the things I tried when I first got it.. Unfortunately the infrared receiver is recessed slightly and being a cheapy has no lens on the front of it
That equates to a fairly tight old angle of reception ..

try a remote extender (magic eye) to allow you to 'move' the sensor to a more comvenient position....i use one with my sky box but needs an RF output.....not all sat tuners will have them..

Broken Link Removed
Tried one ( I have one in the van which I tried to use on the Pace Sky box.. no joy I am afraid

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
it needs a 9v powered RF socket to work....(i have one at home and also use one in the van) normally labelled RF2 on most sky boxes so not sure if other brands have these....

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John only just seen this thread -if you can wait until your bash I will bring a bit of furniture ply /make and fit a shelf for you -The pics look like it maple/cherry colour - I have some so it's no problem and freeby ;)All I need is a reminder near to the time or I will forget to bring stuff:LOL:
terry

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I'd just put on the cushion next to the bear...............

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Now THAT would be spot on Terry as it removes any of my handy work from the frame !!
I shall remind you closer to the time mate

Van will be on site Friday, off site Saturday and back on site Sunday and Monday ( got to attend a poxy wedding in Essex .. And as it is my niece I really canna get out of it ! )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
it needs a 9v powered RF socket to work....(i have one at home and also use one in the van) normally labelled RF2 on most sky boxes so not sure if other brands have these....

Yep.. And apart from Sky box's very few bits of kit have the required interface.. Certainly a £25 cheapo POS from MediaMarkt aint got it LOL !!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No Problems mate just don't forget to remind me, and that you need cherry/maple- ish wood (y) will do it friday while still sober :D
terry

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nice one Terry !!
It seems that every Bash I am gonna be in your debt somehow !!!! Link Removed Link Removed

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
That position is already occupied with one of the hard drives !!
But even if I could use that method, it would not work as once again, the remote control could not 'see' the unit :-(

The remote worked OK with the old talktalk box I borrowed, are you sure yours wouldn't? It's only being used a few feet away and looking at the size of the unit it would tuck up nicely behind the TV.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wellll, fairly sure.. I had it balanced on the top of the telly for a while and it fell down the back.. The remote would not work then sooo....

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Here it is. The ultimate solution and I'm surprised Minxy hasn't suggested it already after you posting the photos. Get the bear to hold the blo**y thing!
:whistle:;):giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back