I am envious of those going abroad this year (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger

No shame on me I paid into the pot for 50 years to pay for my pension its certainly not being paid for by some Jock who has'nt got the sense to move south to warmer climes
Alan:thumb:
I don't understand the fact that I'm from Scotland has got anything to do with the debate we are having. Years ago I was told that if you have a point to make to anyone and they turn abusive or indeed racist you have won the argument. Also the fact that your response is in Caps and in red explains the person you are. For years I have entered into debate on many things and have accepted other points of views, at no time have I been racist or abusive

Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

No shame on me I paid into the pot for 50 years to pay for my pension its certainly not being paid for by some Jock who has'nt got the sense to move south to warmer climes
Alan:thumb:
A market trader paying into the pot for 50 years. How quaint.:Cool:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
A market trader paying into the pot for 50 years. How quaint.:Cool:
Yes I missed that we were all having a debate about Benefits and there was a mixed response for and against, then someone comes on and mentioned the fact that I live in Scotland and who has not got the sense to move south. Dear dear dear

Bill

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I'm going to end this , my belief and I was always brought up to help the NEEDY, if you think that it is right to support them then fine, you learn something every day.

Totally disagree, how do you know what people do and have done to be able to get a reasonable standard of retirement and if through the years they have gone without lots of things some of the poor and needy have found to spend there money on then why should they not get a benefit that will keep there home from freezing up in the winter.

Indeed what it costs to keep warm and safe in the UK in the winter is very little difference in living in Morocco for a couple of months.

It really annoys me when someone can generalise, we have worked for 50 years and I don't need anyone to tell me I am not entitled to a little bit of pleasure in my retirement without been made to feel guilty.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Totally disagree, how do you know what people do and have done to be able to get a reasonable standard of retirement and if through the years they have gone without lots of things some of the poor and needy have found to spend there money on then why should they not get a benefit that will keep there home from freezing up in the winter.

Indeed what it costs to keep warm and safe in the UK in the winter is very little difference in living in Morocco for a couple of months.

It really annoys me when someone can generalise, we have worked for 50 years and I don't need anyone to tell me I am not entitled to a little bit of pleasure in my retirement without been made to feel guilty.
I totally understand your point of view the point I'm making is that there are many old people who huddle round a fire to keep warm we can't ignore that and in a fair society if you can help then please do so and like you I have worked all my life to make things easy when I retire and would gladly give up heating allowance to help the needy

Bill

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Wow!

I don't think Scottish people are a "race".

They are from a country.

I live in a EU country at the moment and am allowed to draw my pension. I don't consider myself to be a benefit scrounger but am now aware some people think I am.

I never realised that my pension was a benefit. I thought it was a national scheme which I joined (no choice) when I was twenty and if I contributed to the scheme every month for 45 years I would be entitled to a State pension.

Whilst people on here might think otherwise at least the folk in the pension office seem to agree with me.

I have adjusted my lifestyle in order to be able to support myself without asking for any handouts from anyone.

Let me assure any Funsters thinking about it that with care you can live in this part of the world very happily on the UK state pension and I should tell you something that might come as a surprise to some...

They have highly qualified doctors here too you know.
One of my English neighbours chose to move to this area because Coimbra has the best cardiac department to deal with his heart problems.

I don't claim heating allowance and even though old people die of too much heat too I don't claim for an air conditioning allowance either.

Go south to the warmer climes in the winter... you and the birds know it makes sense.

JJ :Cool:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

[HI]Indeed what it costs to keep warm and safe in the UK in the winter is very little difference in living in Morocco for a couple of months.[/HI]

It really annoys me when someone can generalise, [HI]we have worked for 50 years and I don't need anyone to tell me I am not entitled to a little bit of pleasure[/HI] in my retirement without been made to feel guilty.

Having a permanent dwelling in Morocco is not what we were referring to, we were discussing the merits of claiming fuel allowance for a home here and not living in it which in my mind is an abuse.:Sad:

Someone becoming unemployed after paying into the system for 35 years but not at retiring age should have the same rights to benifits. Or should they.:thumb:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Wow!

They are from a country.

I live in a EU country at the moment and am allowed to draw my pension. I don't consider myself to be a benefit scrounger but am now aware some people think I am.

I never realised that my pension was a benefit. I thought it was a national scheme which I joined (no choice) when I was twenty and if I contributed to the scheme every month for 45 years I would be entitled to a State pension.

Whilst people on here might think otherwise at least the folk in the pension office seem to agree with me.

I have adjusted my lifestyle in order to be able to support myself without asking for any handouts from anyone.

Let me assure any Funsters thinking about it that with care you can live in this part of the world very happily on the UK state pension and I should tell you something that might come as a surprise to some...

One of my English neighbours chose to move to this area because Coimbra has the best cardiac department to deal with his heart problems.

I don't claim heating allowance and even though old people die of too much heat too I don't claim for an air conditioning allowance either.

Go south to the warmer climes in the winter... you and the birds know it makes sense.

This is nothing to do with pensions the Heating Allowance was a benefit that was brought in to help the elderly pay there heating bills in the winter and if you can pay the bills without the need of a benefit then you should do so, maybe I still believe in a fairer society and yes you have worked hard for the right to do what you want with your pension as I intend to . But deep down I think this benefit is wrong. And please explain why the member mentioned the fact that if I had any sense I should move south and yes in this perfect society we live in that Jock along with many other words is racist when used in the content and meaning in his thread Bill

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If you full time is the heating allowance to heat your MH?:reel::reel:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
If you full time is the heating allowance to heat your MH?:reel::reel:
How do you get the wee fishermen I can't attach the smiles. I do intend to go full-time next year but as I'm selling up I won't be entitled to the benefit. Let's hope my share goes to a good cause

Billy no mates

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Wow!
They are from a country.
I live in a EU country at the moment and am allowed to draw my pension.

[HI]I don't consider myself to be a benefit scrounger but am now aware some people think I am.[/HI]
I would challenge anyone who would suggest that you are not entitled to claim your pension JJ:winky: Who was it:Smile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The shame is the old person who haven't got £200.00 to pay there heating bill. Yes shame on you if you can't grasp that

Bill

Nice try, the reply was in a different context.

You said that those who moved south should be ashamed in receiving what they are entitled to. My understanding is that ALL pensioners are ENTITLED to the payout, regardless. So who is this poor old pensioner you talk of, remember when the weather gets really cold they get extra funds.

When you sell up and go full timing, I bet you won’t give all that money to the needy. If you do, then good on ya, but I bet my mortgage that you don’t. Pensions are not a BENEFIT. The benefit system was there as I understand it as a ‘support’ not as a lifestyle choice.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Having a permanent dwelling in Morocco is not what we were referring to, we were discussing the merits of claiming fuel allowance for a home here and not living in it which in my mind is an abuse.:Sad:

Someone becoming unemployed after paying into the system for 35 years but not at retiring age should have the same rights to benifits. Or should they.:thumb:

Buttons, I am aware that you were not discussing a permanent dwelling in Morocco, I am saying that I find it offensive to suggest that people abuse the system because they choose to be carefull with their money have a motorhome and use it how they choose.

If some choose to give their payments to charity because they feel better so be it, but just to leave it in the government coffers is just as good as burning it.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp

You said that those who moved south should be ashamed in receiving what they are entitled to. My understanding is that ALL pensioners are ENTITLED to the payout, regardless. So who is this poor old pensioner you talk of, remember when the weather gets really cold they get extra funds.

When you sell up and go full timing, I bet you won’t give all that money to the needy. If you do, then good on ya, but I bet my mortgage that you don’t. Pensions are not a BENEFIT. The benefit system was there as I understand it as a ‘support’ not as a lifestyle choice.
Where in any post did I say that Pensions are a Benefit my point is the fairness of the Heating Benefit . Please read the threads

Bill

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp

Where do you get different context Alan said and I quote £200.00 is not a life changing amount you tell that to the ordinary people out there that are queuing up at food banks, they would gladly take that amount to put food on the table so I will repeat (Shame On You) Also I have at no time mentioned pensions or scroungers I clearly have an opinion and the last time I looked that was a given on this Forum, now in case you have not read it properly I quote It is my opinion that the heating benefit is unfair and again in my opinion it should be means tested there is something wrong when you are wealthy and also don't even stay in the Uk you receive this benefit

Bill

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have just checked on the Age Uk website regarding Winter Fuel Allowance and they advise that you only have to claim it once, if approved, it will be paid automatically every year.

Circumstances can and do change, when I reached 60 my income was fairly low and the Winter Fuel Allowance was most welcome. I am now retired and both my wife an myself are financially independant with our pensions, private and state.

Even though my circumstances have changed, for the better, I am unable to cancel my claim for Winter Fuel Allowance made 6 years ago. therefore it is paid to us, £100 to me and £100 to my wife.

It is the system that needs changing if you want it to be fairer.

On a personnel basis, it doesn't really matter to us if we receive it or not.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I have just checked on the Age Uk website regarding Winter Fuel Allowance and they advise that you only have to claim it once, if approved, it will be paid automatically every year.

Circumstances can and do change, when I reached 60 my income was fairly low and the Winter Fuel Allowance was most welcome. I am now retired and both my wife an myself are financially independant with our pensions, private and state.

Even though my circumstances have changed, for the better, I am unable to cancel my claim for Winter Fuel Allowance made 6 years ago. therefore it is paid to us, £100 to me and £100 to my wife.

It is the system that needs changing if you want it to be fairer.

On a personnel basis, it doesn't really matter to us if we receive it or not.
I thank you for a honest answer

bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back