I am absolutely furious about the Pet Passport (1 Viewer)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On the last 3 occasions we have visited the same practice, although it's been a different vet each time. They can see this, of course, in the passport. Only the first visit was Jamie given a full health check, the others just played with him! Still got the full charge though!

At another vet he got the works.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Sorry you have had troubles with vets, our doggy experience with vets in France has always been excellent, Jessie hade cheesy squares with tablet, and always looked forward to going there. Always used same vet. Sadly Jessie no longer with us, looking for another one.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Vets the problem,just go elsewhere,there's plenty of vets,just keep away from big towns and the coast,inland better and cheaper

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Seems to me on your last visit, the vet was correct about the tablet
There are guidelines to the taking of drugs and their frequency, if the vet refused to give your dog a worm tablet, it’s because is is not licensed to be given like that and may cause a danger to your pet
Just imagine if the vet had given the tablet and the dog got ill, or even worse died!
The vet already broke the rules and signed an official document knowing he was fraudulently admitting to treating your dog
I don’t think approaching Defra would do you any good and if you do, don’t mention the vet, he could be prosecuted if Defra decided to investigate
The dogs are given worm tablets that destroy any worms within the dog in the time stated so they aren’t brought into the country. The health check is to establish, in the vets opinion, that the dog is well enough to travel and healthy enough to take the worm tablet
The pet passport system seems to work well, but for some reason, there always seems to be people who think it shouldn’t apply to them.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
For clarity the health check is not a requirement for entry into the Uk

Dear Mr G

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that the pet check in staff are not requested to check the Clinical Examination page of the pet passport by DEFRA. The only reason we would ask for a vet confirmation that the pet is fit to travel is if the pet looks unwell when presented in our pet check in building.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Alison
Sales Support Team
Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
He’s with a brilliant Vet here and they are extremely kind and patient with him, he’s also been to numerous Vets as he crosses the Channel frequently, we take him into the Vets on occasions so he’s well used to going to the Vet without receiving treatment and just being welcomed by all the staff,he’s a calm social dog,playful.energetic, however, as soon as you put him on the treatment table all hell breaks loose.

We deal with it and will continue to do so, but it would be so much easier for all concerned but especially Pepe if remove his fear.

At our own Vets they just glance at him because they know him and know he’s healthy, however, if we don’t want to dash to the Channel within the 5 days we have to take him to another Vet in France and they don’t know hi so it’s a full health check and he doesn’t like it so we have to avoid this option if we can.

Is it the table that freaks him out then? Get the vet to treat him on the floor. See if that helps. Xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Sympathise. Had a dog who would not go anywhere near a vet and would go on strike if you walked anywhere nearby neither would she go near a vet I knew socially either.
Our present lab gets a hay fever tablet half an hour before she travels in the van as she stresses because the engine is underneath. Someone on here suggested this but, obviously, at your own risk :) She doesn't like the vet too much because she knows what's coming but is ok. While my small rescue dog who terrorises postmen, nips people, dislikes random males, rages against motorbikes, bullies food off the lab and goes berserk at large dogs, stands there having things done to him that no man should have done to them, quite passively.
Wonderful things dogs - you can never tell what goes on in their heads :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Why do they give him a full health check?

Whenever we've been to a vet in France (always different ones so they've obviously never seen him before) they just give a wormer.
We have had to go to the vet on France on about 20 occasions and our experience was they always examined the dog and filled in and signed the declaration that they had done so and found it fit to travel on the passport as well as administering the working pill. I have also seen people refused travel on Eurotunnel because the passport had not been completed properly. We are U.K. based and although I think the fee is excessive the actual procedure is very easy and takes no time at all. I can’t speak about dogs registered in the EU but presumably as long as they are certified fit and have been given the worming medicine all should be well. I think I’m the case the OP desscribes a sympathetic bet is needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back