I’m told I can’t convert my van on my driveway? (1 Viewer)

Donut

Free Member
Jun 11, 2018
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion (? Class)
Exp
Hi all, I’m Nigel, I helped a friend convert a T4 caravet in to a camper last year and I got the bug, now I’ve just stared on a Citroen Relay for myself.
So my problem.
A neighbour 2 doors down has given me so much grief about everything (I think I’m to blame for bad wether too), he’s told me I am not allowed to convert my van in to a Motorhome on my drive way, is this true?
I don’t do anything in unsociable hours and don’t make a mess or take up any area on the road in front of my property or on any pavement or other persons property. So am I allowed?
I’d appreciate some knowledge on this matter.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
As long as you work within sociable hours and don't make too many loud noises I wouldn't think your neighbour has a leg to stand on , your property after all. Best to check your deeds to see if there are any covenants or anything laid down by your landlord.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donut

Donut

Free Member
Jun 11, 2018
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion (? Class)
Exp
We’ll IanF & SuperMike, I can assure you both I’d love too, but I’ve been advised by our local police force to not engage him in conversation. They called me a scruffy gypsy, wouldn’t shut up shouting abuse at us and recorded me cleaning my cab out. And these people are old enough to know better. Imagine if Victor Meldrew & Margaret Thatcher had children....get the idea?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donut

Donut

Free Member
Jun 11, 2018
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion (? Class)
Exp
As long as you work within sociable hours and don't make too many loud noises I wouldn't think your neighbour has a leg to stand on , your property after all. Best to check your deeds to see if there are any covenants or anything laid down by your landlord.
My agreement with my landlord states in not allowed a caravan or comedian vehicle on my drive, however I told them I had purchased a van without realising and they sent me an email confirming that it’s OK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
looks like your landlord doesn't have an issue then, apart from your neighbour who, if he has the same landlord will probably also complain to them to try to stop you.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Some housing developments have covenants on the properties which tell you what is not allowed.
On our last house we were not allowed to keep a caravan on the drive or to keep chickens in the garden!
However,enforcement of these covenants is difficult as the local council probably won’t want to get involved,and then it’s about making lawyers richer than they may be already.

Try wooing your neighbours with your charm,good humour,and generosity!

Upvote 0
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Commercial vehicle - not a comedian :giggler:
preferred the comedian --Covenants are rarely policed/managed and if you record back to your landlord confirmation that he does not object then your pretty watertight I would think-----tho I've never seen your MH lol

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Stick a camera up and start recording it all. If anything happens you will have it recorded. I think you have to put a sign up saying you are recording and may put it on YouTube. Make sure you are only recording your garden and not the neighbours as well.

If you have permission from the Landlord what more do you need. It maybe worth keeping a diary and make a note of anything that happens. Bit of a pain but you are covering yourself.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We’ll IanF & SuperMike, I can assure you both I’d love too, but I’ve been advised by our local police force to not engage him in conversation. They called me a scruffy gypsy, wouldn’t shut up shouting abuse at us and recorded me cleaning my cab out. And these people are old enough to know better. Imagine if Victor Meldrew & Margaret Thatcher had children....get the idea?
I thought everyone was friendly op north, well this is what I am led to believe by some members.;):)

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As I understand from my Land Law studies many eons ago, the position is this.

It depends on the type of covenant if any. It also depends what activity the covenant restricts.

If any covenant is only with the landlord then it would seem you are clear to go ahead, based on his consent.

If there are covenants which are cross-covenants you have effectively signed that you will not infringe them against the interests of all covenantors, and then any other covenantor could potentially sue for a breach, regardless of the landlord's consent, who has effectively estopped himself from doing that, but he cannot stop another covenantor doing so, without their consent.

Geoff

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't engage with him no matter how much he goads you .. or you would be playing into his hands.

Go about your conversion normally but without excess noise and at reasonable hours .

........oh .... and join this forum .. for £15 a year you will get excellent conversion advice. :)

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You could of course stick it outside his house as long as it’s taxed and insured and there would be absolutely nothing he could do about it providing you were not blocking his driveway. :whistle:

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I would work right up till 11pm!

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Mate just do it! Keep a record of everything the "nice man" yells at you. Photos too if you can. Recording it always helps.

Before we moved to Lanmoor we had 8 years of it, threatening to smash our windows, blocking our car in, screws in tyres (3) among other stuff. At the advice of our legal eagles we did all in the above paragraph. We were then told because he had Parkinsons if we took him to court, he could blame "his illness"

It all started for the most foolish reason, when he sold the house to us (he moved next door) he left a Billiard Table in the Loft, and expected to be able to march in whenever he wanted to play a game.
He got the message the very first time he tried to! We were glad when he was sectioned.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
How about popping around to his place with a bottle of wine and a couple of cans and suggest you get together and chat about life etc in a friendly manner over a couple of drinks?

Might work...

JJ :cool:
If that doesn't work give him a chinese burn and call him a stinky poo head

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donut

Donut

Free Member
Jun 11, 2018
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion (? Class)
Exp
Don't engage with him no matter how much he goads you .. or you would be playing into his hands.

Go about your conversion normally but without excess noise and at reasonable hours .

........oh .... and join this forum .. for £15 a year you will get excellent conversion advice. :)
Thanks for the advise......and nice pitch

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Falling out with neighbours is never a good idea.

If you've bern warned about him by the police did they give a reason?

If it was that bad I'd move, life's too short....

If he's like that now it will only get worse

Don"t just battle it out for the sake of it

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
How about popping around to his place with a bottle of wine and a couple of cans and suggest you get together and chat about life etc in a friendly manner over a couple of drinks?

Might work...

JJ :cool:

Yep - talk to him nicely!! :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back