I’m not usually fussy but… (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Tank in the loft feeds your hot water tank.Cold water comes direct from the mains.BUSBY.
In the loft tank I found pigeon bones. Yukk. Current house doen't have a loft tank, all fresh water is direct from mains.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The Duxette's mum has a loft tank. Thirsty squirrels had chewed a hole in the lid. Luckily, only the lid.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Should have a lid on. The later black plasic ones did
We have an ancient galv steel loft tank with, what was, a wooden (floorboard) lid.
The lid had rotted over the last 80 years, probably more than once, and was festering in the bottom of the tank.
Drag the bits out and replace with plywood.
I still drink from the bathroom taps.... Eat a little dirt works wonders to the immune system.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Tank in the loft feeds your hot water tank.Cold water comes direct from the mains.BUSBY.
not had a house where only the kitchen tap is from the mains and all the other cold taps are from the loft tank?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
We have an ancient galv steel loft tank with, what was, a wooden (floorboard) lid.
The lid had rotted over the last 80 years, probably more than once, and was festering in the bottom of the tank.
Drag the bits out and replace with plywood.
I still drink from the bathroom taps.... Eat a little dirt works wonders to the immune system.
Thats the way I was brought up during the was. It was the bombs that were dangerous

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
Where does the chlorine go? I’m genuinely interested as I’ve never thought about that.
It dissipates into the atmosphere. Sunshine, or dragging air into the water when filling a container will speed up the process. One company I worked for installed a system to a pharmaceutical factory. Their water came from a local reservoir and they where at the end of the water mains. On hot sunny days the water entering site had no chlorine and a high bacterial load. All safe to drink, but not for putting into tablets.

The only tap I have connected to the mains is the garden tap, everything else comes off a tank in the loft, its a 1989 built house. How your house is plumbed does depend on when it was built and the hot water system installed. The preferred plumbing method seems to depend on year built, the company building it an which side of the bed the architect got out of when designing it!

Jul 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
bailey
When in France useing an air we alway spray drinking water taps with antibacterial spray I’ve seen the french wash their cassette wc under drinking water tap never trust there clean dirty gets

Jul 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
bailey
When in France we always use antibacterial spray to disinfect the water taps as I’ve seen plenty of french clean there cassette toilet at the drinking water tap ,dirty gets

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When in France useing an air we alway spray drinking water taps with antibacterial spray I’ve seen the french wash their cassette wc under drinking water tap never trust there clean dirty gets
Same here with all taps regardless of where they are, you simply do not know what some idiot may have been using them for.

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
We’re at a campsite in Yorkshire at the moment and the chemical waste disposal is 2-3 feet from the washing up sink one side & 2-3 feet from the fresh water tap on the other, with no barriers between them. I’m all for, “you’ve got to eat a bit of dirt before you die” but there must be regulations with this sort of thing, what do you think?
Please tell us the name of the site.

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
What is the issue here? So long as there is an air gap between the fittings then nothing will transfer from one tap to the other. The only issue is if someone emptying the cassette is able to splash it about more than 2 feet. I know some French Aires show people having a good go, but it still takes some effort.

Do you drain your water tank in the house when you return home from your travels? After a day the water will have no chlorine in it. If located in the oft, then it sits in a typically warm environment which is ideal for bacteria to grow. Most people don't think about it, come home and have a bath or shower or drink straight away. I consider that riskier than the site mentioned. Always flush the toilets as soon as we get in to bring fresh chlorinated water into the tank. One of the perils of working in the water purification industry.
Called 'Cross Contamination' ,.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back