Hymer Yearly Underseal check, How Much!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just been quoted £200 including VAT for the yearly underseal check, a Hymer requirement to preserve my water ingress warranty. How can that be justified?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Becks charged me about £70 a few months ago, with the water tight test needed for the warranty bringing the bill up to just under £200. Sure the figure you have been quoted doesnt include the test as well?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just been quoted £200 including VAT for the yearly underseal check, a Hymer requirement to preserve my water ingress warranty. How can that be justified?

I reckon all these prices are arranged to cover the cost of the warrentry work each manafacturers becomes liable for, and to bolster the dealers cash flow.

You might have some ”sport” asking hymer direct and the dealer to explain in detail what happens, etc and the hymers face book page.

We just take it on the chin and view it as an insurance cost.
Been told that we can‘t just have a damp test to meet chaussons damp warrentary , but must have the habitation inspection as well,

I was referred to the Chausson handbook about this, not at all clear and when I have time will challenge all this in writing with the dealer and Chausson.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Becks charged me about £70 a few months ago, with the water tight test needed for the warranty bringing the bill up to just under £200. Sure the figure you have been quoted doesnt include the test as well?
It would be interesting to see how they check this 'water tight' test for success.
Even water under pressure will only get as far as the outer floor skin if it penetrates the underseal and won't be visible or register on a damp meter in the van.
To me, its all a money making scam.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Couldn't agree more. When I had my carthago done a couple of years ago Go European said that as the body was aluminium they would be doing a "visual" damp check. What on earth is that and why did it still cost over £300? Buy a motor home, join the queue of mugs to be ripped off.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I think Lenny HB gets his done for £70 each year in Belgium,might just be a warranty damp check, as he does his own hab check, as indeed would most FLT's. Good on him I say(y):D

Wonder why its only Hymer that insist on this yearly underseal check, after all they are not the only van makers using Alko Fully Galvanised Chassis are they?
Les

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
They thought of it first and the other manufacturers are too embarrassed to join in!

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
And with Hymer, you don't even get a sticker in the book any more, you need to hold onto the invoice. I paid under £140 earlier this year at Premier, the only costs are the labour and the tin of Hymer spray which gets used regardless.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
And with Hymer, you don't even get a sticker in the book any more, you need to hold onto the invoice. I paid under £140 earlier this year at Premier, the only costs are the labour and the tin of Hymer spray which gets used regardless.

Each time Becks have carried out my damp check/under spray they have logged it online with Hymer and produced a copy of the detail for my records.
OK it’s a fair bit of readies every year but I guess if you can afford a new Hymer then on the grand scheme of things with RFL insurance etc it’s worth it for the 7 year moisture ingress warranty.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think @Lenny HB gets his done for £70 each year in Belgium,might just be a warranty damp check, as he does his own hab check, as indeed would most FLT's. Good on him I say(y)
Don't be silly I wouldn' pay that much. :ROFLMAO:
Actually, it's €70 (£60) and it's a fixed price for the 5 years it's required.
My dealer also greased the rear axle for free, when we bought our first van I asked about hab checks my Belgium dealer said not necessary wait until it's 5 years old.

The underseal part of the damp check is using an aerosol underseal they spray on cable and pipe entries in the floor, I don't see why it's needed on a GRP floor and the damp check is a waste of time with internal aluminium walls as they can't use a meter.

I have noticed UK dealers often charge £36 for the aerosol of underseal I've seen it on my dealer's shelf for €17 (£14.50)

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Travelworld said underseal not needed for warranty anymore, and they've got dozens of the cans of stuff not used.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just had our first water ingress test on our Burstner. No damp found and the cost was €125.
Mind you, I could get 10% off anything I bought in the shop while the test was being done. So I bought a new sink plug.....

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
On my previous Dethleffs I had to have the treatment and sticker in the book, not that anyone cared when the van was traded in. I now own an Adria and there has been no mention of this treatment. Am I missing out?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
On my previous Dethleffs I had to have the treatment and sticker in the book, not that anyone cared when the van was traded in. I now own an Adria and there has been no mention of this treatment. Am I missing out?

Yes you are.

Bring your van to me and I’ll look underneath it and I’ll spray some jollup on it and you can give me £200 ?

JimW

Free Member
Dec 21, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 630 Freeway
Exp
Since 2000
Lenny HB "dealer's shelf for €17 (£14.50)"

I would like to buy some Euros at that exchange rate!!!!!

JimW

Free Member
Dec 21, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 630 Freeway
Exp
Since 2000
Wow. You are right!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you want to know how damp your van is, try selling it to a dealer and stop wasting money on "habitation checks".
First time the dealer looked at my last van when I traded it was was when I was picking up the new van a customer wanted to look at it.

MyGalSal

Free Member
Apr 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
For the past 10 years (several vans) all we have ever paid for the Hymer Damp test (and the all important sticker in your book) is £75. When we went to a dealer near Edinburgh they tried to insist - quite vigorously- that we also needed a habitation check. I refused it and insisted on damp check only - which they did. The damp check should include under sealing the van. I’ve know some unscrupulous dealers skip that part!
When we first bought a Hymer we went to Bad Waldsee for a looker-see. I enquired there about the need for a habitation check. They said absolutely not necessary. It was entirely up to the owner’s choice. So ever since that all we did was the annual damp check. I would check another Hymer agent if I were you. The price you have been quoted is OTT.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The spray was to keep the PLYWOOD waterproof not the one piece glass reinforced plastic waterproof, they kept insisting on it to keep the income. Mine never got it I make my own fixes, thank you.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Mines never been done, at least there's no stamps in the book from new, van now over 7 years old and I check underneath now and again and the ply is in as new condition, I think the large lorry type mud flaps help.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The spray was to keep the PLYWOOD waterproof not the one piece glass reinforced plastic waterproof, they kept insisting on it to keep the income. Mine never got it I make my own fixes, thank you.
They only started doing the spay recently, don't think they ever did it with the timber floors.

Gilldrummond

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
Funster No
HI Stewart. We take ours to Chichester, I don't know where you are based. Reliance Motorhome Services charge us £160 inclusive of VAT for the test and the spray and the certificate approved by Hymer. Hope that helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back