Stephenatk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hello
Well never ever thought i would be looking at buying a campervan I'm normally the one sat behind you on his motorbike screaming for you to move over ha ha.
Looking for some help on which model to get and what if any one's to keep away from.
Have £10.000 may be bit more for right one needs to be 4 birth at least. I will be towing a large adventure bike on side loading trailer most of the time bike weight is around 230 kg so must be able to tow this as long as it powerful anoughth to tow thanks for the help stephen.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
At that price level you are going to be looking at vans around 30 years old, the old engines weren't very powerful and struggled on hills. To get what you want you will need to double or more likely treble your budget.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Most will tow a load like that so no issues there.

Overall condition is key. 10k isn’t a lot to spend so you must shop carefully. Take a mate with you who knows motorhomes.

Oh and welcome to the fun! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I love the old b544 hymers but whether you have enough payload for 4 passengers and big bike i wouldnt know as i get confused with “mass running load thingammyjig” good luck you lucky man

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
First you need to do some basic research browsing dealers' websites which will focus your (optimistic) ambition.
Also look at online auction/sales sites, e.g. eBay, Autotrader, but be aware that there are scams. If an ad seems to good to be true it probably is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stephenatk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Bit of a mine field with all these weight limits then looking at towing a trailer aswell.
90% of the time it will only be the two of us and trailer.
If we take any one else with us then the bike stays at home.
I do have a good mate that owns a garage so need go and pick his brains a bit he's pretty clued up on weights and towing trailers.
These hymers dont half sell fast when they come up for sale.
Thanks for replys

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Best of luck in your search, take your time to get the right van for your needs. Beware of any older Vans that have had an aftermarket turbo fitted, they can cause big problems.

Welcome 👍

Upvote 0

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Best advice is don't part with any cash until you have actually inspected the motorhome, check for damp, seen the registration document etc.
There are a lot of scammers about.
sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-109.gif

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Hi Stephenatk,
I've had a number of old Hymers and as has been already stated you really do need one with a turbo.
I had one B534 without a turbo and with even normal loads it struggled up hills, the turbo version was totally different.
Loads of different layouts but the B544 would probably be the best layout for you as it sleeps 4.
The earlier S650 (1998) is bigger for 4 people and a nice van.
I haven't checked prices recently but if you could stretch your budget a bit more, models around the year 2000 or so would probably be available, they are much better than the earlier 1995 or so models. Totally different more modern looking without the earlier dimpled Aliminium body panels. However saying that the earlier ones with a turbo are also fine vans if you haven't the budget.
Non of mine have had any damp issues and they hardly depreciate if at all so you aren't going to be throwing money away.
I am however very biased towards old Hymers and haven't owned any other brand .
My current van is a 2001 model, brilliant piece of kit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back