LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Just a heads up to people who have bought a new Hymer in the past 12 months.

I have just called dealer to arrange first annual inspection service, and was told they couldn't fit me in until back end of March or early April. Not a problem to me.

However, they also told me that to comply with Hymer warranty conditions, the FIRST service must be carried out before the expiry of 12 months from date of first registration.

Subsequent services can be done up to 6 months either side of the date of first registration.

So I've now got a problem in so far as the date of first registration was 12 March 2016 and supplying dealer can't service it before then.

I've contacted a Hymer for their comments and am awaiting a reply, but wanted to make others aware of this warranty condition so they don't (like I have) leave it late in the day to book first service and fall foul of the stipulation. I have to say I also expected there to be a months leeway of the anniversary date.

Wouldn't care but the only reason I'm even having it done was to maintain warranty....:(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have you read the terms of your warranty, in your handbook I think.

This is a 2003 version so not very up to date. it certainly states the required intervals for water ingress test.

Martin

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Have to admit @funflair i haven't looked at the book myself, it's a good idea so I'll take a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hymer do not require a habitation check/ service for warranty I never had one never been any problems with warranty repairs.
The damp check needs to be carried out within 18 months and subsequent ones 12 monthly intervals from the date of the first one.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
UPDATE
looked through the 2 stone of information that came with the MH and couldn't actually find a warranty document.

However rang the dealer back and spoke to the person who sold me the van. They dug around and confirmed that there is leeway, in fact 6 months, and that the service needs to be a damp check ("water ingress check") and for the first service only, a hab service too.

So I'm a bit further on, not absolutely convinced that the overall hab service is strictly necessary after just 12 months but at least I know the important part of the warranty (water ingress) will be intact.

Now just got to arrange service, lots of time away scheduled in so hopefully we can find a mutually convenient date before May.

Edit - the damp check ties in with @Lenny HB comments of 18 months then annually.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When I had my first damp check and underbody spray a month ago at Becks they said that it was necessary for the first five years, registered with Hymer and the proof document for retention , this would validate the seven year damp warranty.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Carthago give you 2 weeks leeway although when I booked mine in for its first (mandatory) hab check and first damp test the other day the dealer said don't worry about that, it doesn't matter! I'm pretty sure it would matter if I delayed the service more than 2 weeks and down the line there was a warranty problem of some kind. "We notice you didn't have your hab check done until 3 weeks past the anniversary date sir. Very sorry but your warranty has become null and void and your claim for repairs is repudiated.......Have a nice day.".

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
UPDATE
looked through the 2 stone of information that came with the MH and couldn't actually find a warranty document.

However rang the dealer back and spoke to the person who sold me the van. They dug around and confirmed that there is leeway, in fact 6 months, and that the service needs to be a damp check ("water ingress check") and for the first service only, a hab service too.

So I'm a bit further on, not absolutely convinced that the overall hab service is strictly necessary after just 12 months but at least I know the important part of the warranty (water ingress) will be intact.

Now just got to arrange service, lots of time away scheduled in so hopefully we can find a mutually convenient date before May.

Edit - the damp check ties in with @Lenny HB comments of 18 months then annually.
Same terms as the warranty document that I posted then, also agree that a hab service is not that important as long as everything is working.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Carthago give you 2 weeks leeway although when I booked mine in for its first (mandatory) hab check and first damp test the other day the dealer said don't worry about that, it doesn't matter! I'm pretty sure it would matter if I delayed the service more than 2 weeks and down the line there was a warranty problem of some kind. "We notice you didn't have your hab check done until 3 weeks past the anniversary date sir. Very sorry but your warranty has become null and void and your claim for repairs is repudiated.......Have a nice day.".
I'm not sure that would stand up in a court of law as it might be classed as an unfair term and not enforceable.
Must say though that I did feel a bit peeved when I bought my new Carthago, only to find that it needed a hab service/check after just 3 months. (then annually)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When we bought our first Hymer asked about hab checks our dealer response was not neccessary, don't worry about it, have one after 5 years. So we have never bothered, I'm more than capable of doing the checks myself. It has never caused an issue with warranty repairs.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Well I'm really confused now.

Spoke again with my local branch of the dealers and was told (again) about the strict 12 month rule. This meant that if they service in early April (the earliest they can do it) and find anything wrong, anybrepairs would potentially be at my expense as the warranty would be invalid. In other words, they wouldn't try to get Hymer to pay for warranty repairs, I'd have to and try to get my money back from Hymer.

Told them I'd not bother then, as I would not want to be paying for what should be warranty repairs. The whole point of my trying to arrange the service was to ensure the warranty was valid!

So I'm now waiting for a call back from the branch of the dealership where I bought the MH, to see if I can book it in there. Given the advice I was given earlier by that branch, I'd expect they would pursue warranty claims as per normal.

Also still waiting to hear back from Hymer.

To be fair to the local branch, they did say that if Hymer told me it would be OK to "late service" and the warranty would be valid, they would be OK with that and deal with warranty items in the normal way. But until I hear from Hymer, they won't play that game.

Somewhat pissed off!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
On our N+B (part of Fuhrer Hymers Viermacht too) it is only the water ingress check that is hyper critical without the checks the water ingress warranty is invalidated.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well I'm really confused now.

Spoke again with my local branch of the dealers and was told (again) about the strict 12 month rule. This meant that if they service in early April (the earliest they can do it) and find anything wrong, anybrepairs would potentially be at my expense as the warranty would be invalid. In other words, they wouldn't try to get Hymer to pay for warranty repairs, I'd have to and try to get my money back from Hymer.

Told them I'd not bother then, as I would not want to be paying for what should be warranty repairs. The whole point of my trying to arrange the service was to ensure the warranty was valid!

So I'm now waiting for a call back from the branch of the dealership where I bought the MH, to see if I can book it in there. Given the advice I was given earlier by that branch, I'd expect they would pursue warranty claims as per normal.

Also still waiting to hear back from Hymer.

To be fair to the local branch, they did say that if Hymer told me it would be OK to "late service" and the warranty would be valid, they would be OK with that and deal with warranty items in the normal way. But until I hear from Hymer, they won't play that game.

Somewhat pissed off!
Typical rip off Britain, as long as you get damp check done no need to worry about a hab check, UK dealers try to con you into having it so they can charge you a couple of hundred quid to have a quick glance around the van. Even the price of a damp check here is a wind up UK dealers charge upwards of £120, my dealer charges €60 about £50.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
A further update

Having got nowhere really yesterday with the dealer who I bought the vehicle off, I decided to explore other options.

I was very disappointed with the supplying dealer whose two branches gave conflicting advice, and in any event were unable to look after me. So much for customer loyalty!

Anyhow, went on Hymer website and found alternative dealers within 100k of me.

There is one at a Tebay, Cumbria, who can fit me in next Tuesday (before the strict 12 months deadline so that aspect is now dealt with), and wanted less money than the supplying dealer.

For info, full hab check (4 hours) is £220, damp check only £120 (90 mins). The hab check is over £100 cheaper than the supplying dealers quote.

For my own peace of mind, have gone for the full hab check. Am off to Italy for a month in May so I'd feel better about things knowing the hab side has been safety checked and all should be well.

Thanks all for your input.

Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
This is all very interesting as I've just splashed out £250 ( £75 for a can of paint!) on a service my dealer told me was needed. He said that Hymer required it to keep the warranty valid...Mmmmmmmm.

I'm going to book in with a dealer in France and make the damp test part of our trip next year if it's all that's needed and the book gets stamped.

Even though I'm a wee bit cheesed off having read this, i cant fault the customer service i had yesterday at knowpark motorhomes in Livingston... Just incase anyone is thinking of using them.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Bought our Hymer at one year old from Lowdhams at Gunthorp. It had had the first Damp check done by them (10 days after it's first anniversary) We like to have it checked over for habitation and vehicle but could not stomach their ridiculous prices. We have it done locally by an AWS (Approve Work Shop) £145 and the vehicle bit by our local Fiat Professional dealer £135.
Strictly, not necessary but it makes us feel better. Still have to have the damp check done by Hymer to maintain the warranty and we have this done at Lowdhams for £135 though this can be done at any Hymer dealer, home or abroad.
Ours has had replacement wheels, due to pealing lacquer, new wiper motor and a replacement rear locker door all under warranty.
The locker door was replaced when they discovered 'damp'. I had washed it and put the bucket and brush back in there just before. How it can be damp is beyond me as it's all PU.
The Hymer book clearly states the warranty conditions, not the dealers opinion.
We are claiming now for a faulty LED interior 'touch light' that provides an unwanted disco effect.
We have it booked again in July, with Lowdhams for the damp check. You have book very early to get in.

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
I emailed Hymer about the hab check two weeks ago as my van is nearly a year old and they replied the next day with an answering email that the damp check had to be done at a Hymer registered dealer but the hab check could be done anywhere as could the cab check.

I rang the dealers to arrange a damp check and they were adamant that the hab check needed doing with them too until the van was two years old until I sent them a copy of the email from Hymer to which they were surprised but could not argue anymore.

They were very good and have fitted me in just before the 1st year end but have quoted £120 for this.

Liz

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
@Hettie's Crew , interesting. We bought from the same dealer and branch, and was they that told me the warranty would be fine if done a couple of weeks after the 12 month anniversary. It was the Huddersfield branch ( which is much nearer to me) that stated they would not carry out the damp check unless I agreed to fund any costs for faults found because "the warranty is invalid as you have gone more than the 12 months since new". They then expected me to take up any issues with a Hymer. This was not something I was prepared to commit to.

So with this conflicting advice, I looked for the warranty conditions in the bundles of stuff I got with the van, and, guess what - no bookelet, just an empty folder.

The guys I dealt with at a Tebay were excellent as well as a lot nearer to me (and a more pleasant journey!) and also backed up Lowdhams Gunthorpe stance re the warranty.

So what Huddersfield Lowdhams were on about, who knows!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I emailed Hymer about the hab check two weeks ago as my van is nearly a year old and they replied the next day with an answering email that the damp check had to be done at a Hymer registered dealer but the hab check could be done anywhere as could the cab check.

I rang the dealers to arrange a damp check and they were adamant that the hab check needed doing with them too until the van was two years old until I sent them a copy of the email from Hymer to which they were surprised but could not argue anymore.

They were very good and have fitted me in just before the 1st year end but have quoted £120 for this.

Liz
Liz, your dealer is talking out of an orifice other than his mouth. The only work that Hymer insist on to maintain any warranty is the damp check, which can be done by any Hymer dealer. That checks for damp in the cab and also they apply a spray to parts of the underside. It is required to maintain the water ingress warranty, and when it is done it is registered with Hymer. A habitation check is not required by Hymer to maintain their warranty.

My supplying dealer (Becks in Norfolk) informed me of all of this. I have not had a hab check done and yet they happily carried out warranty work for me.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
@Hyacinth 1 Liz I'm glad you got sorted, but it does seem Huddersfield seem to make things up to suit themselves...personally I'm very unimpressed with them!

Hope you're enjoying the new van, hopefully Peterborough will be a bit cheaper for you this year :whistle:

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
I'm unimpressed with Huddersfield too but they have fitted us in at short notice for the damp check so won't complain too much, Steve hopes Peterborough will be cheaper too but is worried as I was online looking at the new Hymers!

Will look into that dealers in Tebay if you have the info for next year but calling into Huddersfield after Peterborough so fits into the journey home this time, that is if I can get up that road with van when the cars are double parked which is always interesting!

Liz

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The first Hymer damp check is required 12 months after date of sale but no later than 18 months, UK dealer will have you believe you must have it done after 12 months this is not true the 1st one can be up to 18 months after invoice date. Following ones need to be done annually after the first one.
The underseal spray that UK dealer charge around £35 for, I saw it on in our Belgium dealers shop for €17.96 (£15.35) and they only charge €60 (£51) for a damp check.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
@Hyacinth 1 - Liz, details of Tebay people as follows:

Adventure Leisure Vehicles
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed

Tebay Business Park
CA10 3SS Tebay, Cumbria
+44 15396 24141
mhold@adventurelv.com
http://www.adventurelv.com/

They are not a swanky premises but seem to be very good people to deal with.

They have dealt with Hymer group caravan products for some time, but only around 1 year for Hymer motorhomes.

They used to be the UK concessionaires for Airstream caravans but had to give up the franchise when the £/$ rate became unattractive and minimum orders from the manufacturers would have lead to too much cash tied up in a slow moving stock (the prices of the second hand Airstreams are eye watering, but if I ever moved to tugging would be the caravan of choice!).

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Can anybody tell what the underbody spray is supposed to be as the underneath is all GRP and doesn't need underseal. I spray the metal chassis parts anyway so there is nothing else to do.?????????

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Can anybody tell what the underbody spray is supposed to be as the underneath is all GRP and doesn't need underseal. I spray the metal chassis parts anyway so there is nothing else to do.?????????

I believe it to be a specific spray that Hymer use to prevent moisture ingress especially around entrance /exits in the underfloor and is a condition of the 7 year overall moisture warranty that it is carried out for the first five years by a Hymer dealer. It is not an underseal as we know it.
That is from memory but close to how I understand it was explained to me by Becks at Martham.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The first Hymer damp check is required 12 months after date of sale but no later than 18 months, UK dealer will have you believe you must have it done after 12 months this is not true the 1st one can be up to 18 months after invoice date. Following ones need to be done annually after the first one.
The underseal spray that UK dealer charge around £35 for, I saw it on in our Belgium dealers shop for €17.96 (£15.35) and they only charge €60 (£51) for a damp check.
To be fair though @Lenny HB you have to allow for a trip across the channel in that price as well I know it could be done on a trip but not everyone goes to Europe like us.(y)(y)

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Just reviving this subject yet again because I have had a quote from my dealer quoting £90 (1 hours labour) for our first damp test and £65.70 for the sticker - £155.70.

I understand that the “sticker” part is a bit of a throwback from the past before floors were GRP and is a code number which is/was peeled from the can and included in the service record.

Now that evidence of the damp test is recorded on the Hymer system, with presumably a printout given to the owner, could I possibly ask a Hymer owner to look at their print out and see whether the sticker number from the tin has been recorded as such. Do you actually get a sticker?

I understand from @Lenny HB that the tin only costs about £15. I would imagine that with a GRP floor, even if the dealer did actually use some spray it wouldn’t be the whole can so are you given it to keep for subsequent inspections?

I am struggling to think how it would be possible to spend a whole hour doing the test, especially now that Hymer internal wall linings are aluminium. Perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye.

Finally, am I right that damp apart, Hymer offer a 2 year warranty on the body side? I can’t find anything in my documentation or any reference to warranty in the brochures or online which seems strange. I can see that Truma and Dometic offer 2 years for their parts but nothing elsewhere.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They do spray around all holes through the floor etc but it’s not a big job.
On our Hymer yes it is only two years as we imported ourselves as Lenny I think there used to be an extra year if purchased in UK through the dealer.(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I see that annual damp check as an insurance policy(y)

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back