Hymer v Cathargo (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2016
Gretna
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741FC
Exp
Since 2015
Looking for owners views build quality on both brands we are comparing hymer ml790 on Mercedes v cathargo chic c line QB on Mercedes also they are both coming in around same price.
The seating position and table in the cathargo seems very tight, hymer looks a little roomier also wife prefers the lighter colours in hymer.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have had both now on Carthargo I would say Carthargo body is a better build but terrible customer service with very very long wait for any odd parts needed, we waited 4 months for wiper parts (not blades) and Carthargo were useless.
Our new Hymer spent a lot of time in Lowdhams (Dealer) in the first 3years of its life so got rid after I remedied the faults my self.
Only our experience you may have more luck👍

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I’m on my 3rd Hymer in 4 years, last was the 690 A class with island bed and drop down bed at front, now have a B600 Whiteline, which was a factory order as we wanted Aldi, lithium, solar, leather, tow bar etc and we have been happy with them all. We did visit the Cathargo factory/showroom with a view to changing, but decided to stick with Hymer for various reasons, but it’s a personal decision.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our third Hymer and have a Carthago on order.
A few more frills on the Hymer but build quality far better on the Carthago.
Every Hymer we have had has has had body corrosion 1st one was bad last two very minor but annoying never seen it on Carthago's but I know they use higher quality pre coated alloy panels for the body.

Agree lounges are a bit cramped on Carthago's and showers not as good that's the main reason we have not bought one before but quality has now one out.
I'll suffer the cramped lounge and not so good shower for the better integral build quality.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I've had both.. and have to say, both are really good quality vans.

I prefer my Hymer but prefer the look of a Carthago-- build quality is way to similar to be an issue.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Can’t comment on Hymer, but very happy with build quality on our Carthago- apart from deterioration on mock leather upholstery. Always feels very solid. But of course still use same Dometic, Truma, etc appliances as almost all other mhs.

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
We've had both but smaller vans than what you are looking at. (Hymer exsis 414t & Carthago 138i) We loved both of them.

Had a few minor problems with the Hymer bought new; had to fix bathroom sink drainage pipe after a leak & also a leak into the garage from water tank when full, both sorted. Had Hymer for 7 years & took wear & tear well with little needing repair (kitchen tap cracked & leaked). Only had the Carthago 9 months bought used when 3 years old but v little used by previous owner. It's immaculate & performing well. Done 8000 miles since last July & no problems at all. Slightly prefer the Carthago but that's more about the extra space as it's an A class & 400cm longer, everything is just slightly more comfortable.

I would consider both the Hymer & Carthago if buying again don't think you can go wrong with either. There's not much in it IMV

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
The large table is an issue on many of the Carthago models and a lot of owners have changed it for a smaller one, us included. I fitted a cut down off cut kitchen breakfast bar piece from a builders yard thar cost about £20 with edge tape. Now it is perfect for the two of us and more sturdy than the original. I rated Hymer very highly years ago but agree with some others that the build on the Carthago is better now. We have been lucky and not needed too many parts and the lead time was weeks not months but that was pre covid so before the world fell apart. We looked at the show last year for a possible replacement and noted some corners had been cut regarding build quality on the new ones. I also understand if you up plate the weight on a Merc chassis Merc will then not honour the warranty, which is a considerable concern if you need more payload.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
On our third Hymer and have a Carthago on order.
A few more frills on the Hymer but build quality far better on the Carthago.
Every Hymer we have had has has had body corrosion 1st one was bad last two very minor but annoying never seen it on Carthago's but I know they use higher quality pre coated alloy panels for the body.

Agree lounges are a bit cramped on Carthago's and showers not as good that's the main reason we have not bought one before but quality has now one out.
I'll suffer the cramped lounge and not so good shower for the better integral build quality.
The shower must be bloody good in a Hymer Lenny HB as my Chic C-Line shower is absolutely fantastic.
Never had a Hymer but my Chic C-Line is a good build, zero problems, everything works perfectly, although I admit the lounge is a little cramped, but ok for us two👍

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I have a Hymer, which I’m very happy with. A friend swapped his for a new Carthago and swapped back to a new Hymer 6 months later because of the (in his mind) inferior build quality. Obviously he could have been unlucky and I certainly like the look of any Carthago I’ve been in.

OP
OP
T
Jul 31, 2016
Gretna
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741FC
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all reply’s.
Both look like very similar in build quality so will now depend on what her indoor prefers in layout and style. Looks like going down hymer road.

• Informative
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all reply’s.
Both look like very similar in build quality so will now depend on what her indoor prefers in layout and style. Looks like going down hymer road.

I did not want to interrupt this Hymer- Carthago discussion before, but Tjn300 seems to now have the answers he wants.

Have any of you had experience of looking at, or owning, both either Hymer and N&B or Carthago and N&B?

The reason I ask is that N&B no longer do the island bed Arto that we would like in the length we would accept.

We are very happy with the quality of our 20 year N&B and if we changed would go that way again but model is not available. I am visiting the N&B factory soon so might have to put pressure on for a demo model. ;) :LOL:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We looked at both and in similar layouts (Chic C and E lines) both on Fiat and MB, plus similar specced Hymers.

We decided to opt for a NiBi Arto as in the end the price came in very similar. Just seemed on another level build wise and to what we’d been looking at. So far (4wks in) very happy with our decision.

B46BF7C0-AD15-4B78-AE82-CB2353BC83F1.jpeg

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
2 wks ago we went to St David’s in west Wales.
We were parked on the bus park there which allows Motorhomes to park.

While there, I was admiring an A Class 21 plate Carthago tag, it really looked nice.
Talking to the owner, he pointed out on the n/s rear by the window, an area of around a foot and a half square where the body had (best way to describe it) blistered/ bubbled.

On first inspection, it looked like it had only affected the decals but the owner said it was 100% the body.
He also said the dealership (didn’t mention who) had been no help whatsoever so had been in touch with Carthago themselves.
They were sending a team over to put a new side in but it would be months before they could do it. He had already waited months just to get someone to look at it. He was not impressed with Carthago or the build quality, in fact he was fuming because of the sum he had parted with an was selling it once repaired.

I’m well aware that all converters can an do occasionally have problems.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Was looking at our local dealer a few days back.
The Hymer and Carthago they had in the showroom were nice but again I just think the Carthago shower let’s it down as some have the wheel arch inside and others the shower looks a bit small compared to the Hymer.

• Informative
Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I do like the look of Carthagos, but as others have said, they always seem very cramped internally.
The MD of my dealer who are also a major Carthago dealership once said to me when discussing after sales, "great 'vans, shame about the company"!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back