Hymer Upholstry (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I planning to give my Hymer some extra tlc this weekend and thought of removing the hab upholstry and putting it through the washer. It all seems to unzip and come off the foam base. Not seen a label yet. Has anyone tried washing the upholstry before and was it successful ?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Are there any washing labels, or anything in the hymer instruction book??

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Mine is a 2003 model. I have removed the covers from the L-shaped settee and the rear bed mattresses and washed them without any problems (low temperature / mild action). Not possible to do this with the front seats of course.
It was a bit of a struggle to get the cushions back in the covers but just took patience and persuasion.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Mine is a 2003 model. I have removed the covers from the L-shaped settee and the rear bed mattresses and washed them without any problems (low temperature / mild action). Not possible to do this with the front seats of course.
It was a bit of a struggle to get the cushions back in the covers but just took patience and persuasion.

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks (y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the manual does not suggest washing but I pressed on without any problems. As I said earlier, use a gentle wash and be careful about spinning if your covers have plastic inserts to hold them in place. Mine do so I used a low speed spin and held my breath!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I work in the reupholstery market. Most fabrics are washable, it's the fire retardancy backing that sometimes recommends dry clean only. You should be fine to wash on 30 degrees, spin cycles are ok but don't tumble dry as this is likely to cause shrinkage. Best to us a washing liquid and not powder as well.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi we have a 2009 Hymer, which we bought recently the covers are a suadette type material. I took some of them off, they unzipped but were connected by plastic toggles. It was difficult to get them off but they washed up ok. I left some of them on the cushions and gently rubbed them with warm water with oxy wash in and they came up really well, as good as the machine washed ones. The arms of the cab chairs were black with dirt but they came up beautifully.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I took the covers of my previous vans sofa, V reg Hymer, and machine washed them and they came out brilliant although it took a little patience to persuade the inners to get back in.

I used an upholstery spray foam cleaner to do the front seats and armrest, they also came up great, the name of the product escapes me at present but should anyone be interested I will check in the garage tomorrow.

Also just washed and ironed all the curtains and nets :rolleyes:

Norman.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We successfully cold water washed our caravan upholstery fabric covers & curtains on a wool programme & max spin then line dried. All came up like new (y) Worst part was getting the foam in & out but no problem if large zips. Our motorhome upholstery is wipe clean but use throws anyway.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the trade secret to putting covers back on is use a large sheet of polythene. roll the polythene sheet around the foam tightly, leaving the ends open. then slide the cover over the polythene. finally just pull the polythene sheet out and zip up.....much easier

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back