Hymer TV provision (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I’ve read on other threads that the whip aerial on newer Hymers is good for TV, but I can find no evidence of a coax cable in my 2016/2017 Van 314.
If I were to run a cable from the aerial to the TV can anyone tell me what I should expect to see at the aerial end when I reveal it inside the roof? I guess there’ll be a number of cables but will one of them be an obvious coax cable with a connector?
I’ve looked for details of the Hymer aerial but have been unable to find anything. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be a great help.
Thanks in advance.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mine is a 2016 and the aerial connection was inside the locker above the tv mounting bracket.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Thin white lead that dealers knew nothing about Lenny hb to.d me about it works brill,
You need to turn on the antenna power from your tv ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
I’ve read on other threads that the whip aerial on newer Hymers is good for TV, but I can find no evidence of a coax cable in my 2016/2017 Van 314.
If I were to run a cable from the aerial to the TV can anyone tell me what I should expect to see at the aerial end when I reveal it inside the roof? I guess there’ll be a number of cables but will one of them be an obvious coax cable with a connector?
I’ve looked for details of the Hymer aerial but have been unable to find anything. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be a great help.
Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE

20200212_205041.jpg
20200212_205025.jpg

Our 2016 ML620 has 2 whip aerials on the roof, one radio, the other is TV
Attached pics show the three cables which were tucked into the wall behind a piece of draught exclude type of material.
The white thin cable is coax the other two were 12v. Be careful with the colour codes, Hymer is not standard.
20200212_205041.jpg

Our 2016

Deleted User
It will be somewhere near the TV mount. Our TV mount is riser rail between the hab door and the oven. There's a small opening at low level with the power cable and an aerial lead.

OP
OP
R
Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Thanks for the hints, folks, but definitely no thin white cable in the cupboard above the TV bracket. Always knew the two power leads were there but that was it.
There is a heavyish brown lead dropping into a cavity but it seems tight and I don’t want to pull it too hard.
Think I’ll reveal the underside of the (single) whip aerial and see what leads are connected to it and if any of them go back to the TV cupboard.

Deleted User
Have you thought about an email to Hymer with your van details, they might help before you start performing surgery. Or, if you're on FB try the owners group.

OP
OP
R
Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Well, I revealed the aerial mount in the cupboard and there doesn’t appear to be a coax in there, just a couple of pairs of thinner cables and the brown earth. Looks like I don’t have a TV aerial.FE44C36D-0BB8-482F-9FBD-F1DF8986B9DF.jpeg

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Ours was folded away in the top of the wardrobe behind a wooden cover
No actual visible aerial on the roof or anywhere else.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On mine it was under the dashboard behind the glove box. I found it by following the radio aerial lead back towards the aerial.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well, I revealed the aerial mount in the cupboard and there doesn’t appear to be a coax in there, just a couple of pairs of thinner cables and the brown earth. Looks like I don’t have a TV aerial.View attachment 364833
The lead from the aerial goes to an amplifier, then they fit a white coax to the amplifier or on the latest vans it's a small black coax.
It will be there somewhere, on our last van an Exsis-i it was at the back of a kitchen draw tied up out the way you wouldn't have found it if you didn't know they had one. Current van it was hanging out the brush slot by the TV mount.
Once you have found it don't forget to enable antenna power on the TV to power the amplifier.

OP
OP
R
Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
The lead from the aerial goes to an amplifier, then they fit a white coax to the amplifier or on the latest vans it's a small black coax.
It will be there somewhere, on our last van an Exsis-i it was at the back of a kitchen draw tied up out the way you wouldn't have found it if you didn't know they had one. Current van it was hanging out the brush slot by the TV mount.
Once you have found it don't forget to enable antenna power on the TV to power the amplifier.
Definitely nothing at the brush slot or in the cupboard above it. If I can find the amplifier then I can see if there’s a coax attached that hasn’t been fed through the trunking. Favourite place is the void behind the brown wall seen at the right hand side of the photo, but it’s a question of how to open it up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back