Hymer/Truma Heating (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Good morning.

Subscribing member but our first post. We are Mark and Nikki and we purchased a Hymer last year and are (or would like to be when we’re allowed) hooked, we love it.

We have a 1995 (white) Hymer with Truma gas heating, which is extremely efficient and quick to heat water and the van.

Quick question regarding running the heating. The only thermostat options are (hot water), or (hot water and heating). We have drained the camper down so that there is no water in the fresh water tank, taps or water heater. There is no option to just run the heating without the hot water. Now, as there is no water in the boiler - can we run the heating or will that in some way damage the boiler.

Solely gas, no electric heating.

Thank you

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Welcome!

You can run it in mine which is a bit newer. What model Truma is it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark101
Sep 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have no idea actually, hadn’t thought about it until I wanted to run the heating the other day. I stopped myself thinking you would never run a dry kettle but then thought but there will be no element, just a burner ??? No idea at all but seems daft if I can’t run heating without being full of water. Thanks for the reply and welcome, Mark

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Mark101
Sep 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I shall get some pics and model number next time I get to the van. Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Deleted User
In principle yes. If you're van has an automatic frost valve to dump the hot water in freezing conditions how else could you raise the temperature to enable closure without using the heating

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark101
Sep 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A94D3CD3-1AFE-4684-8EBC-92DE0A59BB01.jpeg

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Good morning.

Subscribing member but our first post. We are Mark and Nikki and we purchased a Hymer last year and are (or would like to be when we’re allowed) hooked, we love it.

We have a 1995 (white) Hymer with Truma gas heating, which is extremely efficient and quick to heat water and the van.

Quick question regarding running the heating. The only thermostat options are (hot water), or (hot water and heating). We have drained the camper down so that there is no water in the fresh water tank, taps or water heater. There is no option to just run the heating without the hot water. Now, as there is no water in the boiler - can we run the heating or will that in some way damage the boiler.

Thank you
Hi there ,
Welcome, the Truma system is designed to be run with no water in the system & without damage to the boiler by just selecting the blown air heating option only, no problem. Also make sure that the boiler hot water mains switch is in OFF position.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi there ,
Welcome, the Truma system is designed to be run with no water in the system & without damage to the boiler by just selecting the blown air heating option only, no problem. Also make sure that the boiler hot water mains switch is in OFF position.
It depends on which model you couldn't on the early Combi's.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2013
Tranmere Park
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
Good morning.

Thank you
I have the same year Hymer - yes you can run it without water the book says! As a matter of interest, because ours broke down a couple of years ago snd they no longer support that model so couldn’t get the part required, I modified the system and fitted a diesel heater in the heater tube that comes out behind the drivers seat ( mine is left hand drive), using this point now as the air intake for the heater - the diesel heater now blows hot air back through this tube towards the original Gas heater, and heats the water as well as the van! It’s more efficient and thrifty than the original! Bought the diesel heater complete from ebay for £90 from a newish van which had been a write off!

Upvote 0

jimbobjones

Free Member
Oct 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer 555
I have the same year Hymer - yes you can run it without water the book says! As a matter of interest, because ours broke down a couple of years ago snd they no longer support that model so couldn’t get the part required, I modified the system and fitted a diesel heater in the heater tube that comes out behind the drivers seat ( mine is left hand drive), using this point now as the air intake for the heater - the diesel heater now blows hot air back through this tube towards the original Gas heater, and heats the water as well as the van! It’s more efficient and thrifty than the original! Bought the diesel heater complete from ebay for £90 from a newish van which had been a write off!
Hello, do you have a video or any photos of your installation please? Thanks!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jimbobjones

Free Member
Oct 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer 555
Hello, do you have a video or any photos of your installation please? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back