EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I have more questions for the lovely helpful and knowledgeable people on here. I have a Hymer B584 2002 with Truma gas heating (Also electric for hot water but that is not relevant). The control says Trumatic C and has a circular dial for temperature control. It is on the outside wall of the wardrobe, and the boiler is inside the lower part of the wardrobe.
1. Where is the sensor? I can't find one, it is not above the door as someone said on another thread. Is it perhaps integral to the control?
2. It only heats up to about 7 degrees less than the figure on the control, even if it is not too cold outside (so it is not struggling to heat, it just thinks the job is done when it is not). If the sensor is inside the control that would explain it (the wardrobe is warm), and I would like to install a separate sensor. Is that easy?
3. At about 0 degrees C outside (clear sky but sheltered from wind) it will only heat up to 19 degrees or so, going continuously. Is this to be expected, or is is a sign that I need to get it serviced? The vents do blow warm air, but very gently.
4. Is there a way to add another sensor "in parallel", i.e. heating comes on if either sensor says so. Reason: the gas heating warms up underfloor and so keeps the water system warm; if I am on EHU with a heater in the habitation area, that won't happen. Or is there a sensible idea for keeping underfloor warm?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have more questions for the lovely helpful and knowledgeable people on here. I have a Hymer B584 2002 with Truma gas heating (Also electric for hot water but that is not relevant). The control says Trumatic C and has a circular dial for temperature control. It is on the outside wall of the wardrobe, and the boiler is inside the lower part of the wardrobe.
1. Where is the sensor? I can't find one, it is not above the door as someone said on another thread. Is it perhaps integral to the control?
2. It only heats up to about 7 degrees less than the figure on the control, even if it is not too cold outside (so it is not struggling to heat, it just thinks the job is done when it is not). If the sensor is inside the control that would explain it (the wardrobe is warm), and I would like to install a separate sensor. Is that easy?
3. At about 0 degrees C outside (clear sky but sheltered from wind) it will only heat up to 19 degrees or so, going continuously. Is this to be expected, or is is a sign that I need to get it serviced? The vents do blow warm air, but very gently.
4. Is there a way to add another sensor "in parallel", i.e. heating comes on if either sensor says so. Reason: the gas heating warms up underfloor and so keeps the water system warm; if I am on EHU with a heater in the habitation area, that won't happen. Or is there a sensible idea for keeping underfloor warm?
What main control panel do you have?
I have a 2004 hymer ....same boiler and heating controls as you probably
Do they look like this ?
20210106_102101.jpg

My main control panel is this one

20210106_102056.jpg

And that black round button is the temp sender for the heating.

Ive never been impressed with the heating system

My next van will be getting a diesel heater fitted and if i self build a wood burner also.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The room thermostat is a small round black button looking thing above the door.
The temp is set by the inner dial on the left in Tams picture.
The boiler starts slowly but after 10-15 minutes should be blowing a decent flow of warm air from the vents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
If you can access your boiler check that all the hoses are firmly pushed on...I had one hose that had come away...the only hose that had a secure fixing was the exhaust, that was jubilee clipped to the boiler, and also to the outlet end, all others were a 'push fit' onto the boiler outlets...and I regularly checked them!

Hope that helps.

Allen

Upvote 1

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
FYI.... On my Truma panel... there is a setting to allow you to "offset" the thermostat... i.e if it's situated in a warmer or colder location than "ambient" temperature in the Moho..

On your panel... My guess is that it may be within the "MENUE" function.. if available (y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
FYI.... On my Truma panel... there is a setting to allow you to "offset" the thermostat... i.e if it's situated in a warmer or colder location than "ambient" temperature in the Moho..

On your panel... My guess is that it may be within the "MENUE" function.. if available (y)
That only applies to the CP Plus panel that is from 2014, the OP's van 2004.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Although there are some versions of the classic controller with the sensor built in I've never been aware of it on a Hymer.

When you find the sensor if you disconnect it the heater should run at full blast.

With the Truma Combi's there is no service requirement but if the fan is running slow it will cause overheating and the boiler will shut down. This can be caused by fluff & dust build up, worth a partial strip down clean out the impellor and lubricate the bearing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
3CDD0BC2-A1BA-452A-88C9-F849E3860AE3.jpeg
That's mine. Set to 30, giving me 20, when outside is at 6 degrees. Quite warm air coming from all the vents, but only very gently.

It is running full blast, that is just not enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
View attachment 453864That's mine. Set to 30, giving me 20, when outside is at 6 degrees. Quite warm air coming from all the vents, but only very gently.

Not familiar with that controller but after a bit of searching I think it has the sensor build in, if you take it off the wall and have a look inside it should be fairly obvious.

This may be helpful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the link, that looks like a pretty comprehensive description.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
I have the same one minus the electric function. When you say full blast, do you mean you notice it go from normal running to high running? Mine does that when there is a big temp difference.

I also have the same where the control panel would say 16C but the heating control would read 20C. I just offset this by turning it up.

I did notice a difference in the overall heating of the van by adjusting the vents as I have two fairly close to the thermostat. I closed them slightly to avoid a warm spot close to the thermostat so it warms the rest of the van evenly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Ah. When I said it was running full blast, I just meant that it is running all the time (that is to say, if it is failing to warm up enough, it is because it is inadequate, not because the thermostat cuts out as if it has reached temperature). I didn't know that it has 2 fan levels, if indeed my model does. Maybe my problem is that the higher power fan speed is not cutting in?

As for the temperature difference between control and reality, it is only mildly annoying. I do like to turn it down overnight, but not too far down, and it would be nice to know it was accurate.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our 2001 B584 has the same controller and no other sensor, so I think it must be built in the controller.
Don‘t tend to use our blown heating but when we do the fan runs fairly fast until it heats up and then slows down so you can only just hear it.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Ah. When I said it was running full blast, I just meant that it is running all the time (that is to say, if it is failing to warm up enough, it is because it is inadequate, not because the thermostat cuts out as if it has reached temperature). I didn't know that it has 2 fan levels, if indeed my model does. Maybe my problem is that the higher power fan speed is not cutting in?

As for the temperature difference between control and reality, it is only mildly annoying. I do like to turn it down overnight, but not too far down, and it would be nice to know it was accurate.
Ah ok. Well assuming we have the same model which I think we do based on the controller, it should go to a high speed setting when there is a large temp delta between what you've set and what it is and then it should slow right down when approaching the selected temp.

To give you an idea, I've put the heating on when the internal temp has been 5C, the high speed fan setting kicks in until about 15C and then switched to slow fan until 20C.

I've also just realised that the link is to my friends website!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Ah ok. Well assuming we have the same model which I think we do based on the controller, it should go to a high speed setting when there is a large temp delta between what you've set and what it is and then it should slow right down when approaching the selected temp.

To give you an idea, I've put the heating on when the internal temp has been 5C, the high speed fan setting kicks in until about 15C and then switched to slow fan until 20C.

I've also just realised that the link is to my friends website!
Thanks for that info. Maybe I don't get the fan on high speed because it isn't cold enough. I don't know what it does at 5°C and I don't t plan on finding out.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for that info. Maybe I don't get the fan on high speed because it isn't cold enough. I don't know what it does at 5°C and I don't t plan on finding out.
Should run at full speed it the temperature is only a few degrees below the set temperature i.e. if set to 25 and van is 20 it would run at full speed until nearly up to temperature.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
This may be helpful when it becomes available - allows the sensor to be placed elsewhere. Our controller is also mounted on the wall of the wardrobe that contains the heater and so the heater cuts out at about 18C when the dial is set to 25 - the wardrobe is 27C and the Wall is around 24C . What a rubbish design. What I can't find is how to fit this thing if and when it becomes available.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This may be helpful when it becomes available - allows the sensor to be placed elsewhere. Our controller is also mounted on the wall of the wardrobe that contains the heater and so the heater cuts out at about 18C when the dial is set to 25 - the wardrobe is 27C and the Wall is around 24C . What a rubbish design. What I can't find is how to fit this thing if and when it becomes available.
I think that is only for the later Combi's but not really need as you can adjust the offset on the controller.
My sensor is above the door and I adjust the offset so it coresopnds with the centre of the lounge temperature.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
I think that is only for the later Combi's but not really need as you can adjust the offset on the controller.
My sensor is above the door and I adjust the offset so it coresopnds with the centre of the lounge temperature.
It says 3402-C which is what I have and matches the controller pictured above but how is the offset adjusted? That would be cheaper option for sure.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back