Hymer stinking grey tank (1 Viewer)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Having not really used the van with the tank valve closed we had to at the weekend as we were parked on a car park.
After about 4 days the stink has started (n) so am guessing that Hymer is yet another European manufacturer that doesn't fit venting to the roof or decent traps or pipework .
We don't let food waste or grease etc into the tank and have been playing at this game for years so do know what we are doing.
Must only be the Americans who fit proper drains then ?
Why do people rate these products that are actually in my mind poor quality.(n)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Our Laika has proper water traps under the sinks and even in hot weather does not smell. Mind you when you get over a drain to empty it there is a bit of a wiff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Our Laika has proper water traps under the sinks and even in hot weather does not smell. Mind you when you get over a drain to empty it there is a bit of a wiff
My first motorhome was a Laika and we had the same along with a proper black tank, I was told by a Laika dealer that unfortunately when Hymer took them over the quality has gone down.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We had this when we first acquired our Talbot Express (then eleven years old). The smell was not originating from the tank but from a clogged waste tube. We replaced the tube with one of the same size that was actually intended for a water butt and purchased from our local garden centre. Smell eradicated!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hymer do fit traps on all the outlets, like any van you do sometimes get a pong in hot weather. If you are careful about what you let go down the sink not much of a problem.
In hot weather best to empty the tank daily, thats what we do.

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Hymer do fit traps on all the outlets, like any van you do sometimes get a pong in hot weather. If you are careful about what you let go down the sink not much of a problem.
In hot weather best to empty the tank daily, thats what we do.
But like I say then basically a system that doesn't work if it stinks in hot weather !
A bit like British vans that only freeze up in cold weather (y)
Not rocket science to make it work properly.
Sadly I am now seriously fed up with this van as I am now seeing little things wrong every time we use it .

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The traps work fine on my hymer but they can sometimes dry out, particularly the shower ones. Might be worth slowly tipping a small amount of water down each one just in case.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But like I say then basically a system that doesn't work if it stinks in hot weather !
A bit like British vans that only freeze up in cold weather (y)
Not rocket science to make it work properly.
Sadly I am now seriously fed up with this van as I am now seeing little things wrong every time we use it .
I take the view it's OK for the price to get anything better I wiould have to pay over a 100k, not brillant but OK for a mid range van.

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I take the view it's OK for the price to get anything better I wiould have to pay over a 100k, not brillant but OK for a mid range van.
I understand what you are saying but it is pretty bad that we have to compromise at this price point but having looked at a mates Concorde plumbing and seeing he has the same crap fridge does make me feel slightly better.
You are more honest than most owners who tend to worship the brand and won't have a bad word said about the Hymer's or their fittings.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
French supermarkets sell a range of tablets for cleaning and adding a sweet smell to waste systems and we buy a few own brand packets each time we go. They are very cheap and we pop one in the waste tank each time we empty. I haven't seen them for sale over here?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
At least you know it's ready for a clean, if you had traps you'd be non the wiser. We put a gallon of hot water and a dissolved dishwasher tablet down and after a run it has a good clear out :eek:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Having not really used the van with the tank valve closed we had to at the weekend as we were parked on a car park.
After about 4 days the stink has started (n) so am guessing that Hymer is yet another European manufacturer that doesn't fit venting to the roof or decent traps or pipework .
We don't let food waste or grease etc into the tank and have been playing at this game for years so do know what we are doing.
Must only be the Americans who fit proper drains then ?
Why do people rate these products that are actually in my mind poor quality.(n)
Do you mean that you get the smell inside or is it just outside when you drain the tank, the waste tank should be vented to stop anything coming back through the traps.

Soapy dirty water will start to stink if left in a tank in hot weather no matter how much you have spent on your van.

Martin

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It would be so easy to vent the tank through the roof , the yanks have been doing it successfully for many years------they also fit better U traps------ IMHO fridges would be more efficient if they too followed the yanks and vented through the roof, ----- just my view after owning/travelling in both!!!
Nigel

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Do you mean that you get the smell inside or is it just outside when you drain the tank, the waste tank should be vented to stop anything coming back through the traps.

Soapy dirty water will start to stink if left in a tank in hot weather no matter how much you have spent on your van.

Martin
Yes inside the van .

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I've got a grey waste water wheelie tank which i can use if necessary no vent so wont smell and can dump water into it daily if required up to about 40lts i suppose but at least i can leave drain open then

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
It would be so easy to vent the tank through the roof , the yanks have been doing it successfully for many years------they also fit better U traps------ IMHO fridges would be more efficient if they too followed the yanks and vented through the roof, ----- just my view after owning/travelling in both!!!
Nigel
Yes we have owned both and have to agree as I said earlier it's not exactly rocket science but why do we as customers put up with the crap that they produce as it's not like a roof vent would cost more than a few pounds.
Again with the fridge we live in one of the colder countries in Europe, just imagine a Spanish or Southern European guy in his new Hymer with a useless fridge .

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Our Carthago has traps but left for a few days in hot weather they can dry out and the smell from the tank gets into the van. The answer is simple, pour a bit of fresh water into the traps.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We find the smell is worse when we have not used it for a while. Drain never gets everything out so there is always some standing water in it. And the shower trap dries out and lest the smell in. When we are using it we empty regularly and shower every day do shower trap does not dry out.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Yes inside the van .
Your problem has been caused by never closing the valve. When you do this residue from your waste sits at the bottom of the tank. There is no flush effect when you empty. Stick some Fenwicks pipe and tank cleaner down the system with a few litres of water and drive home. Your tank and pipes will then be clean with no smell.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not sure I would want it vented through the roof, smell might just drift back in through open roof light.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our Hymer has push down plug / strainers in each outlet, we always keep the shower ones pushed down as they are most likely to dry out with less use

We have issues similar to yours, but also have a black tank although I thought we could easily tell which pong was which I am no longer convinced, or black tank is vented on to the roof but I don't think the grey water tank has a vent, but in theory it must or it wouldn't empty o_O

I also think you have made the problem worse by not filling and flushing benefit of full tank emptying, but that said we do fill and empty and still have a smell if we dont close the plugs (y)

edit - as others have said, once in use we rarely get issues, if left unemptied for a while it is much worse

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
cant really see its the fault of any manufacturer , the sinks in houses smell if you dont put bleach or something down occasionaly, stick a bottle of cheap coke down and go for a drive, thatel heep it sweet

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
cant really see its the fault of any manufacturer , the sinks in houses smell if you dont put bleach or something down occasionaly, stick a bottle of cheap coke down and go for a drive, thatel heep it sweet
I still blame the manufacturers as others have said the yanks fit roof vents and use decent traps/pipework,it just seems most owners are prepared to put up with problems on European vans and always find an excuse for the manufacturers.(y)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Think people will find faults with all vans irespective of make or model just got to find which one you are most happy with

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
When we went to to view our B544 it was a year old and parked around the back, unprepared, at Lowdhams. We were also considering a new Rapido 9048DF, in the showroom, at Brownhills.
When we saw the B544 it was a bit grubby compared to the immaculate Rapido in the showroom. We were immediately put off the B544 as soon as we stepped inside as it smelt like a sewer. Much deliberation went on between the two and we eventually, for a variety of reasons, decided on the B544 on the condition that they sorted out the ‘smell of the drains’.
When we picked it up it was immaculately prepared but still smelled, though less than previously.
The salesman insisted they had done the tanks and could detect no smell, we decide we would do it ourselves when we got home. When we opened the tanks they didn’t smell.
Anyway, the point of all this rambling is that the smell was the leather upholstery which after a year still smelled like new and was still venting off. When the van was left closed up it would stink when we first entered it. Thankfully, now it’s four years old it’s worn off, though still detectable in hot weather when it’s been shut up.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back