Hymer Starline 640 (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi, just popped in somewhere on the off chance today and they have a 2003 model.

The dealer has just got it in, it appears to be in very good condition and they are happy for us to have a test drive. I was a bit surprised as we explained neither of us has driven a m/h or lhd drive vehicle before;)

OH is all for it, I'm not so sure. It's LHD which I know has been done to death on here.

Tiptronic box and is plated at 4600.

The dealer says we should expect 25mpg/motorways and 22 ish mpg urban. Does this sound about right?

Dumb question - the rear axle has 4 wheels (2 inner, 2 outer), I've had a search on t'internet and can't seem to find any others or what the implications of this is or if there are any. And what is the correct term for this configuration please?

Any comments /advice/thoughts would be very greatly appreciated.:)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A good vehicle. Basically it is a B544 layout on a slightly longer Mercedes chassis. The dealer has stated a resonable mpg range; I have got 24.8 mpg calculated over about 43,000 miles.
Mine is a LHD on a 316 chassis plated at 3.8 tonnes and has a full auto five speed box. The one you are looking at is on a 413 or 416 chassis. The numbering system is 3XX for a 3.5-3.8 tonne GVW and 4XX for a standard 4.6 tonne GVW. The second and third numbers refer to the engine power output, so a 313/413 has a four cylinder 130 bhp engine and the 316/416 has a five cylinder 160 bhp engine (actually it is 156 bhp). The 3XX chassis has single rear wheels and the 4XX has twin rear wheels to cope with the heavier loading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks everyone for your replies, I've managed to find a bit more info elsewhere too.

Glad to know the figures are about right. I think the dealer does have a good rep but he's normally way out of our price range.

It's the layout I'm not sure about, it has the tall cupboard with the fridge immediately to the right of the door - feels a bit closed in and means there is no kitchen workspace to speak of.

Hmm lots to think about.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Some transits and Iveco's like mine have twin wheels on the back, great on wet fields !!! by choice this is the type of chassis I prefer, hope all goes well on your test drive

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It would have been nicer on the manual or full auto.

Mercedes dropped the Sprintshift box. I think question marks over reliability.

But a quality motorhome, neverthe less.

Paul.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Paul.[/QUOTE]
Some transits and Iveco's like mine have twin wheels on the back, great on wet fields !!! by choice this is the type of chassis I prefer, hope all goes well on your test drive

It's the first time I'd seen one, seen tag axles but not taken alot of notice tbh as they've been on the big boys and we're limited to a max of 7m.

Do the twin wheels affect how you drive it?

It would have been nicer on the manual or full auto.

Mercedes dropped the Sprintshift box. I think question marks over reliability.

But a quality motorhome, neverthe less.

Paul.

Thanks - I'll get my google glasses on and see what I can find out.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
There is no difference at all, all the tags are FWD and as such will struggle on wet soft ground, twin wheels don't, I say this because we are always on grass if you intend to be mainly on hard standing its different, my 2 dream new motors are a Hymer S on a Merc or an RS on an Iveco, thats when I win the lottery(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just done a bit of searching and judging by your location, I am guessing the van is at Edgehill Motorhomes. That's where we bought ours in 2007 and we found them very good to deal with - informative, helpful and knowledgable. Ours is the same vintage and we love it (albeit with a completely different layout - B630 Star-Line).
Forgive the obvious question, but your driving licence does have a C1 entitlement doesn't it (over 3.5 tonnes)?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You should test drive the van.

LHD is only really a problem overtaking - which you wont do a lot of in a MH - you'll soon get used to it.

Make sure you are happy with the tiptronic box - I had one on a 51 plate (100k miles though) - would have preferred a manual. Good bit is you don't have to get used to changing gear with your right hand.

Give it a try(y) - many buy without the chance of a test drive

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We had a starline 630. A really brilliant van, loved it. Now using a Flair 8000il with twin rear wheels on an Iveco chassis. I guess that means we have done a bit of both. The sprintshift box was really good, and the van performed extremely well. The 640 with twin rear will be even better, so go for it if the price is right. I sold mine for £23,000 privately so hope this helps.
Phil

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just done a bit of searching and judging by your location, I am guessing the van is at Edgehill Motorhomes. That's where we bought ours in 2007 and we found them very good to deal with - informative, helpful and knowledgable. Ours is the same vintage and we love it (albeit with a completely different layout - B630 Star-Line).
Forgive the obvious question, but your driving licence does have a C1 entitlement doesn't it (over 3.5 tonnes)?
Hi, well, yes and yes I believe I have, passed my test '82 ( I was only just old enough mind:LOL:). We've been in a couple of times and would be happy to deal with them.

You should test drive the van.

LHD is only really a problem overtaking - which you wont do a lot of in a MH - you'll soon get used to it.

Make sure you are happy with the tiptronic box - I had one on a 51 plate (100k miles though) - would have preferred a manual. Good bit is you don't have to get used to changing gear with your right hand.

Give it a try(y) - many buy without the chance of a test drive
Cheers, I think it feels like a double whammy - trying to adjust to lhd, adjusting to the size of the mh and then trying to work out if it handles ok, feels a bit overwhelming. We both agree though that it must be good enough for them to sell it and not trade it on so perhaps we can cancel out any worry about the actual mh.

We had a starline 630. A really brilliant van, loved it. Now using a Flair 8000il with twin rear wheels on an Iveco chassis. I guess that means we have done a bit of both. The sprintshift box was really good, and the van performed extremely well. The 640 with twin rear will be even better, so go for it if the price is right. I sold mine for £23,000 privately so hope this helps.
Phil

Thanks for the info- it's the layout I'm not sure about, we had a twin axle caravan which was big but awful kitchen and it drove me mad....

Another sleepless night coming on...

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Hymer S640 3.JPG This was the layout in my S640 all leather.
A great motorhome and it was a sprint shift 416.
I struggled to get 22mpg, but then I didn't hang about.

PS and here it is for sale.

Broken Link Removed

:cooler:

Last edited:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
This may sound daft to some but i actually prefer lhd motorhomes and I'm disappointed my current one isn't.

To explain my preference my usual haunt is north Scotland and the roads are often narrow etc ....so in a big vehicle lhd is handy when you meet oncoming traffic as you can pull right in to the side without going down ditches or smacking mirrors of walls or trees ....Most continental vans have the habitation door on the right hand side anyway so that makes no difference and I'm rarely going fast enough to overtake unless on motorways in which case your using mirrors to see behind you don't need to see around in front ......and then the added bonus is if you take it abroad you may well be driving on the other side of the road but you'll be in the right seat :)

Both my euro mobil and my burstner 747 were lhd and both were 3 or 4 foot longer than the van I have now

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
My 664 hymer is Lhd, to be honest, I must admit to not finding it too much of an issue, as tambo has just said, its a heck of a lot easier being able to see the kerb/road edge........just make sure you set the mirrors up so you can see whats coming up behind/alongside you on the right (passenger) side, (mines got two mirrors each side, the lower of them pitched down and alond viewing side and ground, )

Go for it; :D

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Morning, just wanted to thank everyone for their help and info...

After alot of deliberation we have decided not to proceed any further with this, as nice as it was, the layout was too much of a compromise for me on the kitchen.

Even though oh is a demon with the cadac, I know not having any kitchen workspace would drive me mad.

The left hand drive option seems to be back on the cards though - don't suppose they have anything at Malvern where you can just have a go? At the NEC caravan show you can have a go at towing.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
You've done the right thing, spend in haste, repent at leisure.....:whistle:

when you see 'THE ONE', you'll know.......

Good luck in your search (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back