Hymer Sprinter Free S 600 (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
Hi there folks,

I have just picked up on this forum while trawling the web looking for information about the different engine power outputs available for the FWD Sprinter based Free S 600 (although it probably applies to other sprinter based models as well), it's a fairly new model and therefore there isn't much feedback available.

I am in the process of placing an order for a van with the automatic gearbox, I have fully spec'd it except for the engine and was wondering whether to stick with the standard 143hp or go for the optional 177hp engine.

My thoughts are:

I 'm not sure that you need the extra power for day to day driving, based on the fact that my work van (manual gearbox) is rated at 3300Kg and is fully loaded to the limit all the time (checked on weighbridge), it has 130 hp engine and drives fine.

I am more concerned with the overall economy, as quite often a larger power output can prove to be more economical. Lets face it both engines will get you to the speed limit with no problems and I don't think that the slight increase in acceleration is really something to be too bothered about, it may have to drop a gear going up a steep hill, but it's got nine, so I don't think that will be an issue either.

Does anybody have any fuel consumption figures for both, I asked my Hymer dealer and they have no idea, I emailed Hymer direct in Germany and they have no idea either. I am shocked that they are selling a product with no information or spec to enable the purchaser to make a valid buying decision.

Just for information, as far as I am aware from the research that I have done, the engine is the same 2.1l but the 143 has a fixed vane turbo and the 177 has a variable vane turbo. As a result of this the power is also delivered differently as below

 143hp @ 3,800rpm / 330Nm @1,400-2,400rpm

 177hp @ 3,800rpm / 400Nm @ 1,800-2,400rpm

One other thing to note is that the 177 is only available to the campervan market, so you cannot get any info from the commercial van sales division.

I would appreciate your comments.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Getting about 27mpg max out of my 177bhp 2020 BMCi690 (Sprinter Auto 9 speed) if thats any use to you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Swiss
Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

Hi Gus-lopez.

Hi Westbarn1, I can see why you have the 177, your van is much bigger physically and rated at 4400Kg. So based on that I could expect to get a little more to the gallon. Thanks for the info.

Hi Eurotrotters, The age old debate, this van model only comes in FWD, it saves 50Kg and the floor is I think 80 mm lower so should be easier to get in and out with more head room and higher pay load. I think it's the Duocar/Grand canyon that have RWD. if you find your posts, that would be helpful, thanks.

OP
OP
Swiss
Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Hi AC/DC,

What do I have to ignore?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

Hi Gus-lopez.

Hi Westbarn1, I can see why you have the 177, your van is much bigger physically and rated at 4400Kg. So based on that I could expect to get a little more to the gallon. Thanks for the info.

Hi Eurotrotters, The age old debate, this van model only comes in FWD, it saves 50Kg and the floor is I think 80 mm lower so should be easier to get in and out with more head room and higher pay load. I think it's the Duocar/Grand canyon that have RWD. if you find your posts, that would be helpful, thanks.
VW Dropped SWB
Mercedes Dropped RWD in SWB wheelbase. Since then, they have introduced one model in RWD SWB. For good reason.

I cant post a video, but without RWD and Winter tyres, I would not be able to access some of my sites.

Oh, and these get in the way some times.
83E17308-BE68-42F6-8003-CAC4030F6E53.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
You can read about the power outputs in my post, if I could find them, I would link them.

I would specify RWD over FWD, personally
My last MoHo was a RWD Hymer 163 bhp 520S 7 speed Auto. Best mpg was about 34.
Agree that RWD is preferable, BUT this one is on an AL-CO SLC chassis that is much lower than the previous OE sprinter chassis and has much more underfloor space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back