Hymer skylight (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am thinking of changing my Hymer B644 skylight & have seen this one from Hymeruk on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181233798259?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I contacted the supplier & asked if it would fit as a direct replacment for my existing skylight (as it has become opaic & brittle)
The reply is:
Hello
Are you replacing the opaque version with this remis type? The hole size should be the same. We have had customers who have replaced the opaque versions in the past and fitted the clear remis type
Kindest Regards

It doesn't really answer my direct question, so have any Funsters fitted one to there Hymer, or any advice on this?

Thanks
Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Magnums are doing a copy version of this for around £50 http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/
you need to measure your hole size :winky:
terry
edit remove screw cover caps and unscrew screws remove inner vent then go on top with a scraper and cut / ease the top off /clean the roof -place mastic sealing tape around your new roof vent -screw both inner and outer together then trim excess mastic off out side -half hour job inc a coffee break

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Terry, thanks I have looked at the link not sure if the quality is the same as the Ebay one or if the extra is for the Remis name.

Removal instructions will be useful thank you.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
remove inner frame and blind
undo all fixing screws
using a wide wallpaper scraper work your way round the mastic sealing it to the roof. probably have to go round twice

applying upwards pressure separate the skylight from the roof
scrape off all the old mastic and clean residue with white spirit

test fit new skylight making sure its the right way round (hinge at front of the van)
remove again and apply mastic tape round underside of the skylight lip
bed it in firmly and tighten screws a bit at a time till level and mastic starts oozing out
don't over-tighten
leave 5 minutes
clean off any excess mastic
fit new blind and inner frame

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Personally I would throw the Remis away and fit a heki plus
About £95 average
Much better product and straight swap in x 400 hole
I have two

eric 83

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
30+yrs
I fitted one on Monday evening! Should have been a straight change ie 400 x400 but the hole size was 390x390! So out with the jig saw and ten minutes later it fitted ok.nothing hard about fitting just don't pull it down too tight to the body,you need a couple of mils of sealant to make a good seal:thumb:

OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I fitted one on Monday evening! Should have been a straight change ie 400 x400 but the hole size was 390x390! So out with the jig saw and ten minutes later it fitted ok.nothing hard about fitting just don't pull it down too tight to the body,you need a couple of mils of sealant to make a good seal:thumb:

Did you fit the one in my link or was it the one that Techno recommended?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
JUST FITTED THE VERY SAME! Firstly, I 'phoned Hymer UK, and asked if the unit would fit. Then I got stuck in and did it. BRILL! So much extra light, and the job is a doddle!!!!!:thumb:

Please feel free to PM me for in depth details!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
JUST FITTED THE VERY SAME! Firstly, I 'phoned Hymer UK, and asked if the unit would fit. Then I got stuck in and did it. BRILL! So much extra light, and the job is a doddle!!!!!:thumb:

Please feel free to PM me for in depth details!

Tootles, PM'd you.

Les Brown

Free Member
May 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Hi. I have a Hymer B544 and the skylight won't open and 40% is taped up with gaffer tape. Which is the best replacement and where from , then how do i remover the old one. Any advice would be welcomed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back