Hymer Silverline 700 - information please (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Looked at this model on Friday, its on a Merc. chassis with a 2.7cdi sprint shift, 6 gear automatic gearbox.

Its slightly older than we wanted, but its provenance is good, as is its interior and exterior, and with 31K miles on the clock, its just run in, or so I'm told! This all with one owner from new.

Now, my knowedge of Merc's is nil, so are there any weak points we should look for when we revist next week? I have to say it ran smoothly, and had loads of power, the automatic gear shift was impressive, but any advice, good or adverse, would be appreciated.

We found two leisure batteries, looked to be 100amp each, and we also noticed that the control panel, over the habitation door, indicated it had a solar panel. Allas, this was not the case, it was however suggested that it was prewired for a solar panel. (from panel to batteries, leaving only the solar panel to be connected to the control panel) So if anyone can confirm/advise if this could be correct, again, we would be grateful. I do wonder, if correct, how do Hymer know which grade of wire to use for carrying the load!:whatthe:

Once again, thanks in anticipation:thumb:

Nomadic

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hymer STARLINE 700

Well it was a long day, I seem to have crossed a Machzone silvermint with a Hymer starline and produced a hybred....sorry about that.:ROFLMAO:

Would welcome ant coments on the Hymer Starline 700, please.

Nomadic:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I don't know this for a fact and I do realise you need different wire if it's 3 amps or 3,000 but one would assume of it's fitted as standard OE, it would suffice for whatever battery(ies) are also fitted as standard OE and whatever capacity panel you would need in order to keep it/them charged under whatever are considered to be 'normal' conditions. Otherwise why did they bother?

A similar wiring set up is provided by Swift on our Bessacar - we are currently assuming we can get a panel, fit it and plumb the wires into it - but we would also ask anyway because we've never used solar - and even more so if we added another battery.

Like if there are 2 of em, would it have had both from new?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A B700 Starline as described will be on a 416 Sprinter chassis with a max authorised mass of 4.6 tonnes. This will give a payload of around a tonne, but you have to subtract extras such as the auto box, extra battery, awning etc.
The auto box could be either a 6-speed Sprintshift semi-auto (where you change the gears) or a five-speed full auto with torque converter. Our B630 (on a 316 chassis) has the 5-speed full auto and it is very good. The Sprinter chassis numbering for that vintage is 3** 4** or 6**. They have max auth masses of 3.8, 4.6 and 5.99 tonnes as used by Hymer. The 6** was only used on the big S-Class vans, Starlines were on either a 3** or 4** chassis. The second and third digits refer to engine power; so 316 or 416 have the 5-pot 2.7 litre CDI engine with a power output of 156 bhp - rounded up to 160, hence the 16 bit of the number. 313 / 413 chassis have a 130 bhp engine with 4 cylinders.

The standard battery equipment was a gel of 85 Ah capacity. An extra battery was a factory-fitted option. If both are in a single battery tray, I expect they will have been specified as original equipment. Assuming the batteries are in an under-floor tray, you may find that many larger capacity batteries will be too tall to fit. I have replaced our original 2 x 85 Ah Exide Gels with 2 x 110 Ah Elecsol as these are comparatively low in height.

Do not take the next bit as absolute fact, but looking through my Hymer manuals, catalogues and notes etc I offer the following. Twin 50 Watt solar panels were a factory fitted option, but I am not aware of any pre-installation of cabling unless panels were fitted originally. The factory option would have included a Schaudt LRS 1214 Solar Charge regulator that connects directly to the Schaudt Elektroblock charger / controller unit (under the driver's seat in a LHD version). The solar control panel that goes with this set-up (above the door) is called an IT 300 Solar. (That assumes that it is a pre-LCD control panel van - the version that has a standard panel with twin dials with needles.) The LRS 1214 is capable of handling panels with an output of up to 14 Amps.

Hope this information is of some help. The Starline is a great series of motorhomes.

Philip

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
A B700 Starline as described will be on a 416 Sprinter chassis with a max authorised mass of 4.6 tonnes. This will give a payload of around a tonne, but you have to subtract extras such as the auto box, extra battery, awning etc.
The auto box could be either a 6-speed Sprintshift semi-auto (where you change the gears) or a five-speed full auto with torque converter. Our B630 (on a 316 chassis) has the 5-speed full auto and it is very good. The Sprinter chassis numbering for that vintage is 3** 4** or 6**. They have max auth masses of 3.8, 4.6 and 5.99 tonnes as used by Hymer. The 6** was only used on the big S-Class vans, Starlines were on either a 3** or 4** chassis. The second and third digits refer to engine power; so 316 or 416 have the 5-pot 2.7 litre CDI engine with a power output of 156 bhp - rounded up to 160, hence the 16 bit of the number. 313 / 413 chassis have a 130 bhp engine with 4 cylinders.

The standard battery equipment was a gel of 85 Ah capacity. An extra battery was a factory-fitted option. If both are in a single battery tray, I expect they will have been specified as original equipment. Assuming the batteries are in an under-floor tray, you may find that many larger capacity batteries will be too tall to fit. I have replaced our original 2 x 85 Ah Exide Gels with 2 x 110 Ah Elecsol as these are comparatively low in height.

Do not take the next bit as absolute fact, but looking through my Hymer manuals, catalogues and notes etc I offer the following. Twin 50 Watt solar panels were a factory fitted option, but I am not aware of any pre-installation of cabling unless panels were fitted originally. The factory option would have included a Schaudt LRS 1214 Solar Charge regulator that connects directly to the Schaudt Elektroblock charger / controller unit (under the driver's seat in a LHD version). The solar control panel that goes with this set-up (above the door) is called an IT 300 Solar. (That assumes that it is a pre-LCD control panel van - the version that has a standard panel with twin dials with needles.) The LRS 1214 is capable of handling panels with an output of up to 14 Amps.

Hope this information is of some help. The Starline is a great series of motorhomes.

Philip

Hi Philip and thanks for your reply.

Sorry about the delay in responding, were in a poor reception area for 3 mobile.

Yes, this is a 4.6 tonne merc chassis with the semi auto gear box (6 gears) If the auto box is "extra" roughly how heavy would you think it is? 20 kgs or am I way of the mark. With your information, I will try to get it on a weigh bridge, before completing the deal, we hope to have a test drive tomorrow, so if there is a locl weighbridge it should be fairly easy.

We take your points on the solar side and will look under the passenger seat, as this is RHD.

Thanks for your interest.

Nomadic

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
According to the 2005 catalogue (but I doubt there was much difference over the years that the 700 Starline was produced) the MIRO for a standard 700 is stated as 3,450 kg giving a maximum payload of 1,150 kg.

However, be aware of the following 'extras' that must be added to the MIRO (and subtracted from the payload).

2.7 litre (416) instead of standard 2.2 litre (413) = 30 kg
Sprintshift = 20 kg

Other possible extras:
Electric door mirrors = 2 kg
Cab aircon = 30 kg
100 litre fuel tank in place of 75 litre = 10 kg
Fog lights (front) = 2 kg
Tow bar = 26 kg
Cycle rack = 11 kg (without cycles)
Dometic roof aircon = 31 kg
Rear steadies (manual) = 9 kg
Omnistor awning (4 metre) = 40 kg
Gas oven with grill = 10 kg
150 litre fridge-freezer in place of 97 litre fridge = 14 kg
Satellite dish (Oyster 85) = 14.5 kg

That should be enough to keep you calculating!

Good luck - Philip

p.s. just realised I stated that the standard battery(ies) were 85 Ah Gels - should have been 80 Ah.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Starline 700

Thanks very much Philip for your schedule of weights, very interesting reading, as you say, enough to keep me and the calculator busy.

Thanks again.:thumb:

Nomadic

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back