Hymer shower tray coating repair? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have just bought an oldie, 1998, the shower tray is split and the dealer is taking it out and fibreglassing the entire underside to make it leak free.

Whilst its out it would be good to get it coated on the top so that it looks nice, seems stupid not to do it whilst its out.

Where could I take the shower tray to get the top surface coated in County Durham, if not anywhere else in the country.

Speed coating sounds good, any recommendations?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
This is probably a daft answer , but can’t you source a new one to fit . Or an old one that’s not damaged ? Then pack out the underneath to support your weight. Making it less likely to crack again.
Ralph packed ours out as we use the base as the wet room floor. So it’s stood on every time we go in there.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
This is probably a daft answer , but can’t you source a new one to fit . Or an old one that’s not damaged ? Then pack out the underneath to support your weight. Making it less likely to crack again.
Ralph packed ours out as we use the base as the wet room floor. So it’s stood on every time we go in there.

Yes, that's a possibility although the dealer said they had a customer get a new one done in fibreglass and there was 2 problems with it
1. It would not fit correctly
2. It was paper thin.
The dealer thinks its best to try the their method first of repairing the old one and it if gets broken taking it out get a new one made.

The main job is getting it out and then ensuring there is loads of support in all areas when putting it back in again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We have just bought an oldie, 1998,
Congratulations Paul & Caroline. :xThumb: Can I aks what model you have gone for please? :xsmile:

Try https://www.facebook.com/www.grpleisure.co.uk/ Quite a few of us here on FUN have used him. :xThumb:

I had him provide me with a replacement vanity unit wash hand basin for our E690, but in GRP. The Hymer one was a right flimsy piece of sh1t kit. :xangry: The only modification I had to make, was to widen the diameter of the drain hole, using a small high speed grinding stone bit.
He does have many moulds for MH sinks and shower trays, so it might be worth getting in contact. If he hasn't got yours in stock, he can make a mould from your old one, and produce the finished article. It is so much stronger than the original.

Sorry,I can't find the photos I took of the "old" and "new". :xsad:

Cheers,

Jock. :xsmile:

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Congratulations Paul & Caroline. :xThumb: Can I aks what model you have gone for please? :xsmile:

Try https://www.facebook.com/www.grpleisure.co.uk/ Quite a few of us here on FUN have used him. :xThumb:

I had him provide me with a replacement vanity unit wash hand basin for our E690, but in GRP. The Hymer one was a right flimsy piece of sh1t kit. :xangry: The only modification I had to make, was to widen the diameter of the drain hole, using a small high speed grinding stone bit.
He does have many moulds for MH sinks and shower trays, so it might be worth getting in contact. If he hasn't got yours in stock, he can make a mould from your old one, and produce the finished article. It is so much stronger than the original.

Sorry,I can't find the photos I took of the "old" and "new". :xsad:

Cheers,

Thanks Jock, I have done a thread about it, in fact 2 threads. Our new hymer and At last, bingo the threads are called

Its a B640 star line 1998.

The dealer wants to repair it themselves, I have already been in touch with Derek at GRP leisure, he hasn't got the mould for the 640 so I would have to take the old one to him.

Not sure a dealer GRP repair would last on a plastic shower tray and while the tray is out it seems stupid not to get a new one.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks Jock, I have done a thread about it, in fact 2 threads. Our new hymer and At last, bingo the threads are called

Its a B640 star line 1998.

The dealer wants to repair it themselves, I have already been in touch with Derek at GRP leisure, he hasn't got the mould for the 640 so I would have to take the old one to him.

Not sure a dealer GRP repair would last on a plastic shower tray and while the tray is out it seems stupid not to get a new one.
Yep, just seen the first thread you put up.

Nice one. :xThumb:

Enjoy.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We used a firm called speedcoat who came to the house and put a strong textured cover over the cracks, and whole base. We were very pleased with the job.( we have seen them at the NEC)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
From experience leave the dealer to sell motor homes. The majority of dealers claim to be jacks of all trades, but the reality is they are often less than average. As suggested by others use an expert every time in whatever discipline.

Have you tried O’Learys or the guy at Shelford who sells a lot of spares on eBay or even Brownhills to source a new shower tray?

Peter Hambilton may be a possibility.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

If they don't know what they are doing I don't think it will last, my experience with these plastics is that it needs to be Epoxy to stick as "normal GRP resin (polyester) will not stick.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back