Hymer Roof Light Leaking.. and a Disaster ;-(( (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I carry a roll of this, it's way better than duct tape, but tears quite easily, but once on it sticks better than duct tape, ideal if window cracks or gets damaged.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
At the same time as resealing the skylight I would also recommend the removal and full sealing of the 'L' section metal strip that the skylight lifting mechanism is attached to. The manufacturers only seal a small section ( around roof hole), which usually over time encourages the formation of rust on the unsealed underside sections
which the roof paint doesn't like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
@scotjimland I've been making good progress following your very helpful photos and instructions and I'm now ready to remove the main frame .. I'll take your advice about using the W4 mastic roll .. I see there are several widths, 19mm, 32mm and 45mm - do you recall what width you used?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@scotjimland I've been making good progress following your very helpful photos and instructions and I'm now ready to remove the main frame .. I'll take your advice about using the W4 mastic roll .. I see there are several widths, 19mm, 32mm and 45mm - do you recall what width you used?

glad it's going well.. I used 32 mm,

I stuck the mastic to the frame then placed in position..

take care placing it, as it won't move or slide once down..

perbra

Free Member
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Solifer 575 Mobile
Exp
Since 2019
scotjimland did you have to destroy the inner liner to be able to take it apart? In my car it seems to be glued in place.

Oct 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer C544k
Went out today to check all was ok and found a drip on the floor under the big roof light.. it's about 800x 500mm and cranks up and down parallel to the roof..

my hopes that it was just a bit of condensation were dashed.. I found the cassette that holds the fly screen and blind very wet..

I decided to remove the cassette to investigate and found it full of water .. so not just a bit of condensation..

I was hoping to do from inside the van, but the window gets in the way, it only lifts up a few inches which makes it hard to get to the trim screws on the outside..

So I removed the window, then the external aluminium trim , cleaned off all the mastic from both it and the roof.. used a scraper, then green scouring pad soaked with white spirit.

Fortunately I had fresh roll of W4 mastic and proceeded to apply it to the ally frame..

While doing that Jan said she would clean the window.. this is where disaster strikes.. I went to help and flipped the window over to clean the inside and struck the edge of the table with it and a big bit broke off and fell on the ground.. :cry:

I suppose it could be repaired.. but i noticed a couple of other cracks.. maybe caused by striking an overhanging tree branch.. who knows.. but if it broke that easily I reckon it has suffered UV degradation.. and better replaced .

I made a temporary repair with gaffer tape and stuck it back on the roof.. and replaced the rest of the trim and cassette blind..

I dread to think out how much a new one is.. I'm waiting a call from Becks with a price..

It's not a difficult job.. but when we get careless.. disaster is waiting to bite us on the bum.. a hard lesson.. :(

A few pics of the job in progress .... View attachment 80886 View attachment 80887 View attachment 80888 View attachment 80889 View attachment 80890 View attachment 80891 View attachment 80892 View attachment 80893
Did you have to disconnect the battery wires before attempting this?

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Did you have to disconnect the battery wires before attempting this?
Scotjimland moved over to the dark side (caravans) a few years back and is no longer a member but to answer your question, no you don't need to disconnect the battery just turn off the light switch for the integral lights before you start.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have the same rooflight as the op and noticed that it leaks if open in heavy rain. However if closed it doesn't. When open water drips from the crank handle. I just make sure it's closed in the rain, and actually only open it if it's hot anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back