Hymer Roof Light Leaking.. and a Disaster ;-(( (1 Viewer)

Rob Bradbery

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Funster No
MH
Hymer Caravan
Exp
Since 1071
Went out today to check all was ok and found a drip on the floor under the big roof light.. it's about 800x 500mm and cranks up and down parallel to the roof..

my hopes that it was just a bit of condensation were dashed.. I found the cassette that holds the fly screen and blind very wet..

I decided to remove the cassette to investigate and found it full of water .. so not just a bit of condensation..

I was hoping to do from inside the van, but the window gets in the way, it only lifts up a few inches which makes it hard to get to the trim screws on the outside..

So I removed the window, then the external aluminium trim , cleaned off all the mastic from both it and the roof.. used a scraper, then green scouring pad soaked with white spirit.

Fortunately I had fresh roll of W4 mastic and proceeded to apply it to the ally frame..

While doing that Jan said she would clean the window.. this is where disaster strikes.. I went to help and flipped the window over to clean the inside and struck the edge of the table with it and a big bit broke off and fell on the ground.. :cry:

I suppose it could be repaired.. but i noticed a couple of other cracks.. maybe caused by striking an overhanging tree branch.. who knows.. but if it broke that easily I reckon it has suffered UV degradation.. and better replaced .

I made a temporary repair with gaffer tape and stuck it back on the roof.. and replaced the rest of the trim and cassette blind..

I dread to think out how much a new one is.. I'm waiting a call from Becks with a price..

It's not a difficult job.. but when we get careless.. disaster is waiting to bite us on the bum.. a hard lesson.. :(

A few pics of the job in progress .... View attachment 80886 View attachment 80887 View attachment 80888 View attachment 80889 View attachment 80890 View attachment 80891 View attachment 80892 View attachment 80893

G'day Jim,

I have a Hymer Nova 570 caravan here in Oz and experienced the same probs. like you I have just taken it apart (Still in pieces as we speak). My main problem is the REMIS flyscreen assembly. During our recent 14,000km trip through Oz , the equalising/balancing cord dropped down and I ultimately had to cut it so I could open and close the fly screen and block out on the roof hatch. Having looked at it the balancing/equalising cord layout is a bit of a mystery to me. So I scrolled through the internet and arrived here at your thread.

My question is, do you or any of the members here have an instruction or manual on the cord route or installation.
Would be a big help for me. Have asked around here in Melbourne but none of the repairers/dealers seem to know.

I did see of Ebay PJ Leisure of Nottingham had a frame assembly that holds the flyscreen cassette for 85BP. That may be the way to go too. (That's if he ships Downunder).
My Hymer has been exposed to the Oz extreme hot elements for all these years and is still OK.

Attachments

• skylight1.jpg
    skylight1.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 96
  • skylight2.jpg
    skylight2.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 91
  • skylight3.jpg
    skylight3.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 90
  • skylight4.jpg
    skylight4.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 95
  • skylight5.jpg
    skylight5.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 91

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
Hello scotjim .. I was pleased to see all your photos at the top of this thread: my Hymer has the same roof vent and it has started to leak badly. With an eye on your photos I've managed to remove the lighting/blinds cluster as shown these pictures ... but I don't know what to do next: 1) what do I have to do to remove the skylight itself, 2) how do I get the plastic frame out so I can reseal it ... are there screws to remove etc --- do I do 1) before 2) or the other way round?

I've looked at all the varying recommendations on what sealant to use and I'm confused - any definitive recommendations?

Most grateful for any assistance that you and others can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_20171102_113844764.jpg
    IMG_20171102_113844764.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20171102_113920686.jpg
    IMG_20171102_113920686.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 77
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
G'day Jim,

I have a Hymer Nova 570 caravan here in Oz and experienced the same probs. like you I have just taken it apart (Still in pieces as we speak). My main problem is the REMIS flyscreen assembly. During our recent 14,000km trip through Oz , the equalising/balancing cord dropped down and I ultimately had to cut it so I could open and close the fly screen and block out on the roof hatch. Having looked at it the balancing/equalising cord layout is a bit of a mystery to me. So I scrolled through the internet and arrived here at your thread.

My question is, do you or any of the members here have an instruction or manual on the cord route or installation.
Would be a big help for me. Have asked around here in Melbourne but none of the repairers/dealers seem to know.

I did see of Ebay PJ Leisure of Nottingham had a frame assembly that holds the flyscreen cassette for 85BP. That may be the way to go too. (That's if he ships Downunder).
My Hymer has been exposed to the Oz extreme hot elements for all these years and is still OK.

Hello scotjim .. I was pleased to see all your photos at the top of this thread: my Hymer has the same roof vent and it has started to leak badly. With an eye on your photos I've managed to remove the lighting/blinds cluster as shown these pictures ... but I don't know what to do next: 1) what do I have to do to remove the skylight itself, 2) how do I get the plastic frame out so I can reseal it ... are there screws to remove etc --- do I do 1) before 2) or the other way round?

I've looked at all the varying recommendations on what sealant to use and I'm confused - any definitive recommendations?

If you put @scotjimland , hopefuly he will see it.

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
Thanks Gus, I'm new to the Forum --- how do I do what you have suggested?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
Well, as you know, I didn't say any such thing. As it happens it is a great van, but like all the others I've had since 1981 (British and German), it develops faults.

No, your comment wasn't offensive, but nor was it helpful.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Yep .sorry if you find it offensive or un helpful . But I do get bored with certain German motorhomers saying just how wonderful they are ..
I guess I must have missed @irwell2 making such claims when seeking assistance with a genuine problem then?

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
Hello Beacons .. I saw it was from 2015. Should I have been putting my question somewhere else?

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi easy done I love German vans .

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi .maybe start a new thread it would properly get more replies
Good luck.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yep .sorry if you find it offensive or un helpful . But I do get bored with certain German motorhomers saying just how wonderful they are ..

I wonder if Mr irwell2 will be put off joining Fun now?

We are meant to be a friendly, helpful bunch.

I suspect he was unaware of your views on German motorhomers given he only registered on Tuesday.

JJ :cool:

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
JJ, don't worry -- I've signed up. I'm sure Khizzie didn't mean any harm -- and in any event I'd still need the help. I'm hoping someone can get back to me with advice on the problem.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I had exactly the same on my Hymer with what looks like an identical skylight, I was blessed with help from a fellow funster @Terry he may recall how he got mine off and then the frame out, I do recall the caps having to be 'sprung' off, then it was fairly easy, but it was 2 years ago and today is Terrys birthday, so he may not react today, or remember by tomorrow :)

If nothing else Terry will be your man to recommend a sealant for when it goes back in (y)

always presuming you get it out of course

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Shall we start again? :LOL: Welcome to Fun @irwell2. No, Khizzie didn't mean any harm, just a normal bit of banter recognised as such by the regulars but probably not by others. If you put an @ in front of a name it will be seen by that Funster and hopefully get a response but, as said this is an old thread and @scotjimland may not see it as he doesn't post so often these days. I'm sure you will get sorted with your problem and your subs will bring a whole lot of help and advice on many subjects not just rooflights, oh, and plenty of banter too. (y)

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for that David ... being very new here, can you tell me what I do to get in touch with @Terry (after his birthday of course)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I wonder if Mr irwell2 will be put off joining Fun now?

We are meant to be a friendly, helpful bunch.

I suspect he was unaware of your views on German motorhomers given he only registered on Tuesday.

JJ :cool:
Why should be be put off when I only expressed what many non owners of the wonderful hymet build are so jealous of .:reel:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi @irwell2 welcome to Motorhome Fun, good on you for sticking around, it's not easy always on a new forum to find your way around, I'm sure @Terry will get back to you, you can always start a new thread on any topic and usually get information and helpful answers.
Look forward to your posts any information about the forum just ask. If you wonder why we put @ before a Funster name it's because it will alert them to the post.
:welcomesign:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine started to leak (2005 B584) last year. I removed it along with Hymer's excuse for sealant. I have to say I was so horrified by the crude construction (and the fact that it needed near to 30 screws into the roof to hold it and its lift mechanism) that I abandoned the thing and fitted a Heki 2. The Heki was considerably bigger so when I cut the roof for it I removed every screw hole. The Heki is clamp fitted so no new holes, more light, and a simple opening mechanism.

Strip butyl mastic (from W4 and others) is the stuff to use. I know from experience that after 10 years doing its job it hasn't set so probably never will. It is brilliant stuff.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@scotjimland just wondering if you have seen that this thread is live again.
Hope you are well.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't know what to do next: 1) what do I have to do to remove the skylight itself, 2) how do I get the plastic frame out so I can reseal it ... are there screws to remove etc --- do I do 1) before 2) or the other way round?

1. Go on the roof and remove the dome.. it is held onto the support rods with star washers.. they have to be prized off using a screwdriver, they are now scrap.. buy four new 8mm star washers form ebay .. try to get stainless steel.. don't lose the 4 x small nylon bushes

2. Remove the rubber seal.

3. Remove the plastic trim.

4. Remove the aluminium frame by unscrewing the self tapping screws.. about 12 or so.. this can be done from inside on a step ladder .. it's safer that way.

2. Clean off the old mastic from the frame and roof using a plastic scarper.. then use white spirit to remove any residue left.

3. The Frame can now be prepared for refitting.. I used W4 mastic on a roll, (from ebay) you could use a tube mastic such as Carafax IDL99 .. mastic on the roll is easier to work with and you get an even covering.

4. Place the frame back on the aperture and replace the screws..

5. replace the inner trim and the the rubber seal.

5. Replace the dome using the new star washers.. not forgetting the four nylon bushes.. an assistant may come in handy to hold the dome from inside on the step ladder.. Knock the star washers onto the rods using a small socket or piece of pipe.

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
@scotjimland .. thank you very much for responding to my enquiry, I'm very grateful.

Pardon me if I've just missed it in the numbered steps ... how do I physically get the frame out? Is it one piece, or two connected pieces. Do I pull/push it down from the roof into the van, or does it lift up out of the aperture onto the roof?

Thanks again, appreciated.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@scotjimland .. thank you very much for responding to my enquiry, I'm very grateful.

Pardon me if I've just missed it in the numbered steps ... how do I physically get the frame out? Is it one piece, or two connected pieces. Do I pull/push it down from the roof into the van, or does it lift up out of the aperture onto the roof?

Thanks again, appreciated.
one pice and it sits on top of the roof..

mine being cleaned off ready to apply new mastic..

Attachments

• DSCF2317.JPG
    DSCF2317.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 77

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread