Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Just two days before off to Spain and go to van this morning in pouring rain and have water dripping in above rear window, not much but dripping down through blind. It went through damp test with flying colours but looks like I may have the roof seal leaking.

I've had window open the other day so could be window seal but unlikely me thinks. Can't do much in rain at moment, hoping to try a short term fix, maybe a line of silicone?

Any better short term fixes? Dave

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
From what you say I would say it is leaking between the frame and outer skin so yes a bead of silicon when thoroughly dried.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Give Paul Broadhurst a call at Edgehill Motrhomes in Mansfield Woodhouse. It's not far from Nottingham and he may be able to sort it out for you at short notice. We went to him last November to have the main roof-light removed and resealed (yes, I know it's not that difficult as a DIY job, but I preferred to have Paul do it).
Edgehill Motorhomes Nottinghamshire UK - Hymer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
DON'T let it get this far! :(

water.jpg

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Possibly I agrivated it cleaning the moss out a week or so ago! I'll probably go for a temp fix for now, the all weather sealants look as if they might be best as the rains not likely to ease off when I need it to!

Thanks for the useful (y) and not so useful comments :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Shusss...s keep quiet Hymer's don't leak.:)

Sounds like the sealing around the window may need replacing, some photos would help, the way Hymer's are constructed I wouldn't expect water running inside from a roof seal failure.
Use a proper non setting sealant meant for the job, don't use silicon, it will make a future repair more difficult.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Shusss...s keep quiet Hymer's don't leak.:)

Sounds like the sealing around the window may need replacing, some photos would help, the way Hymer's are constructed I wouldn't expect water running inside from a roof seal failure.
Use a proper non setting sealant meant for the job, don't use silicon, it will make a future repair more difficult.

I would love to do a proper job now but no time and I don't think the weather is going to play ball.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The random damp readings found at our habitation service last year were diagnosed as dried/cracked sealant. Scraping out as necessary and oversealing with new sealant has done the trick.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Graham, the window was taken out last year on the service due to some low readings so the window seal 'should' be OK. I've traced the drip to centre left o the window frame. It's running over the frame on the inside and on the outside that would put it near to the fiamma fixing bracket. I've had a cloth under it during the past two hours of continual rain so it's not that bad. Will have a proper look see when I can.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree it "should" be OK David :) Seems like it's either the window or Fiamma seal from your description. Hopefully you'll trace it quickly and the cure will be easy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wouldn't worry about a doing a temporary fix.. as said, it will make doing the proper job more difficult.. and as I understand, Hymers don't have wood to rot.. so short term not an issue..

buy a tube of the correct sealant, get down to Spain .. get the window out, let the heat dry it out nicely , get the shorts and T shirt on and do a proper job..

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I think that's how it's going to be Jim, I've been out and had a look but I have to move the van forward a bit to get to the back which leveled it slightly different and...hey presto despite it still raining the drip has stopped!

I'll most likely forget all about it...better things to be doing in Spain ;)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure what vintage your Hymer is perhaps late 90s from what I can see in your avatar, so this may not apply to you. I know that some versions (certainly from around 2000 - 2006) had a particular form of sealant for the window frames (mine being one of them). There is a band of thin foam impregnated with a sticky mastic onto which the frame is clamped. I once talked to Peter Hambilton about this when I thought ours looked as though some mastic had oozed out in very hot weather. His suggestion was to leave it alone as this form of seal is not easy to get out. Obviously you have to effect a repair, but I thought I should warn you in case yours has the foam system.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Not sure what vintage your Hymer is perhaps late 90s from what I can see in your avatar, so this may not apply to you. I know that some versions (certainly from around 2000 - 2006) had a particular form of sealant for the window frames (mine being one of them). There is a band of thin foam impregnated with a sticky mastic onto which the frame is clamped. I once talked to Peter Hambilton about this when I thought ours looked as though some mastic had oozed out in very hot weather. His suggestion was to leave it alone as this form of seal is not easy to get out. Obviously you have to effect a repair, but I thought I should warn you in case yours has the foam system.

It's a 2002 vintage JeanLuc. When I was up looking whilst it was still raining, water was tending to run down and settle on the window frame surround at the same spot outside as where it appeared to be coming in on the inside. But after I moved it a couple of feet forward it seemed to stop! I don't think I need to worry too much, at least not until I get a chance to look at it properly .When I had a cloth there I didn't even get enough to ring out. It looked worse because it dripped down and splashed on the sink cover which drew my attention to it.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Just resurrected this post as I finally sorted my little water leak and thought it might be useful to others.

No problems leaking whilst down in Spain, oddly enough, started again upon return. So I re-sealed the back window but it still continued with no change (n). Went higher up the ladder and looked closely at the high level brake light. Lightning bolt moment as I could clearly see that there was some distortion in the fitting, probably down to old age! It appears to just have a gasket to seal the fitting against the bodywork. I re-sealed using some mastic and hey presto no more leaks!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Just resurrected this post as I finally sorted my little water leak and thought it might be useful to others.

No problems leaking whilst down in Spain, oddly enough, started again upon return. So I re-sealed the back window but it still continued with no change (n). Went higher up the ladder and looked closely at the high level brake light. Lightning bolt moment as I could clearly see that there was some distortion in the fitting, probably down to old age! It appears to just have a gasket to seal the fitting against the bodywork. I re-sealed using some mastic and hey presto no more leaks!

Old I know but thanks for that (y) useful to know;)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just two days before off to Spain and go to van this morning in pouring rain and have water dripping in above rear window, not much but dripping down through blind. It went through damp test with flying colours but looks like I may have the roof seal leaking.

I've had window open the other day so could be window seal but unlikely me thinks. Can't do much in rain at moment, hoping to try a short term fix, maybe a line of silicone?

Any better short term fixes? Dave
What's this? A leaking German built motorhome? I didn't think they existed! And just when we were thinking of buying one. Might have to keep my British built van for a while longer, last Hab check said it was drier than a very dry thing........

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You needed Stixall it works in the wet and is really good stuff.
I Should have read all the way through thread only read first few posts.Wot a plonker!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back