Hymer - Pluralistic Ignorance or Fallacy? (1 Viewer)

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
To answer the OP simply NO, Hymer would not have enjoyed the reputation or continued success if it did not develop and build exceptional products.
We bought our Hymer new in September 2012, 2 1/2 years old, 26000 miles and as good as the day we picked it up. Yes, the fit out is lighter weight than the older models but that is development and progress. Will it be less durable, only time will tell but, having looked at new ones recently, I can see no reason to change.
Oddly enough I have spoken to several people over the last year or so who have said they liked the look of the Frankia but, to a man they have all bought something else! There must be a reason why people don't buy.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
To answer the OP simply NO, Hymer would not have enjoyed the reputation or continued success if it did not develop and build exceptional products.
We bought our Hymer new in September 2012, 2 1/2 years old, 26000 miles and as good as the day we picked it up. Yes, the fit out is lighter weight than the older models but that is development and progress. Will it be less durable, only time will tell but, having looked at new ones recently, I can see no reason to change.
Oddly enough I have spoken to several people over the last year or so who have said they liked the look of the Frankia but, to a man they have all bought something else! There must be a reason why people don't buy.

Good post and very true.
Anyone who is at the top of the leader board is always a target and the envy of the rest.
Hymer have been at the top of the tree for a long time and there are probably more old Hymers on the road than all other makes together. Travel the length and breadth of Europe you'll see them every where you go. Read a few travel blog / books of long term travellers the majority are done in older overcab bed Hymers.
The choice of the discerning motorhomer Hymer (y)(y):):)

Makes a nice change to discuss Hymer instead of the usual anti Rv or anti Brit van threads;);)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We did consider a Carthago, although only 5k dearer couldn't get the same discounts so in real price difference was 15k, my mate ended up with a Carthago. We are happy we made the right decision, a lot of the extra cost on the Carthago was for glitz you don't really need, even my mate said next time if they have the layout he would go back to a Hymer.

To some extent people expect more from a Hymer due to clever marketing in the UK they are perceived as top of the range, they are not, on the continent they are a mid range van, top end of the mid range vans yes.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
To some extent people expect more from a Hymer due to clever marketing in the UK they are perceived as top of the range, they are not, on the continent they are a mid range van, top end of the mid range vans yes.

I find that rather confusing, Hymer make a range of models to differing specifications aimed at the various sectors of the market, as do other manufacturers. Much of the difference between the high end models is in personal taste, from what I have seen, a top of the range Hymer competes well with its equivalent from any of the large manufacturers. Hymer has an enviable long standing reputation throughout Europe and elsewhere for quality & durability, nothing to do with "clever marketing" in the UK.
Hallberg Rassey in the sailing world and Bentley motor cars
have a similar standing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When it comes down to it they are still only a mid rage van nothing in the current range much over €100k. The only upmarket model they have produced was "The Liner" which was a re-badged N&B and they dropped it after a couple of years due to poor sales.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited: