Hymer or A class insured by Comfort ? Please read. (1 Viewer)

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Well, we have always insured vans with Comfort, first class service on all fronts and a good price. BUT the windscreen has cracked top to bottom on our Hymer here in Spain and Comfort's underwriter (Aviva) told us that their glass people (Carglass) don't work on Hymers in France or Spain, they won't repair it despite my 3k of windscreen cover. Carglass actually suggested I drove to Portugal !
Luckily for me, my wife is Spanish so we can get it organised at a Hymer dealer near Valencia and a very helpful lady at Aviva has agreed to pay once the dealer has sent the invoice and we can wait for the part. This could take some time.
If this had happened on a motorway, it would have been a real problem, so my advice is to check your windscreen cover with Comfort, even Aviva said that there were "issues" with the windscreen policy.

At least the sun is out.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not something that's either Comfort or Hymer specific I'm afraid.

Anyone with any A class needs to make sure that firstly they have adequate cover, and £3k is nothing like enough in some cases, and secondly be aware that getting it replaced is seldom as straightforward as a standard windscreen.

Even in the UK it's not unusual for the glass to have to be ordered from Germany or France or wherever and you be waiting a couple of weeks.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
This happened to me in Spain many years ago. Windscreen was hit by stone and cracked and SAGA would only allow me to have it repaired once I reached the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
adonisito

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Yes, I think 3 k is enough, my concern is that Comfort are selling policies that don't do what they say. My windscreen is gone, I'm not covered in Spain or France with their underwriter unless I spend hours on the phone and happen to be fluent in one of the languages.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
useful info, but I would drive mine home anyway, get it fixed at home where I could take it back with any issues, had one changed on a Pilote they took three goes to seal it properly o_O

don't think it is any danger to drive while cracked, just a distraction, but we don't drive at night, could be bad if you do I guess

hope you get sorted, but don't worry if you don't (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This happened to us last March and Caraglass will not touch A class screens we had to wait till return to uk we have an Exsis I 698 the cost was around £1700(y)(y)(y)
Autoglass had to get Travelworld to obtain the screen took around three weeks.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Our Aclass screen cracked from top to bottom and I was told it was perfectly OK to drive it. The screen was replaced after about 3 weeks, much of which was time spent on holiday in UK.

From memory it cost a few quid short of £3k but SAGA paid with no quibbles. The fitters were great: approx 90 minutes.

Whilst I was worried at the time that it went "BANG", I now know that it was fine to travel. Don't worry! Enjoy your time and get it sorted later.

Gordon

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
All screens are now laminated, and will not shatter zone toughened were the ones that went bang but they have not been fitted for a long time now.
I am sure someone will google it and tell me when that was

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There are several hymer dealers in europe so it may be a case of contacting them. I'm with comfort and had a stone chip repair in the uk. The repairers said they now keep hymer screens in stock.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would echo getting it fixed in the UK. Screen cracked on our previous MH in France, and after replacement in the UK it leaked like a sieve and had to be refitted.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Having recently changed insurer to Comfort, not really what I was hoping to find out. Oh well, thanks for the heads up.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
PSV glass owner is a Motorhome user and member of Classic Hymers. He stocks most Motorhome windscreens and will fit screens but some insurance companies specify only Autoglass/Carglass. This company will not deal with PSV glass and order from manufacturer which involves waiting.
Some have got around this by buying from PSV glass and getting Autoglass to fit it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Our Aclass screen cracked from top to bottom and I was told it was perfectly OK to drive it. The screen was replaced after about 3 weeks, much of which was time spent on holiday in UK.

From memory it cost a few quid short of £3k but SAGA paid with no quibbles. The fitters were great: approx 90 minutes.

Whilst I was worried at the time that it went "BANG", I now know that it was fine to travel. Don't worry! Enjoy your time and get it sorted later.

Gordon

Quite true just illegal in some countries,like here. So if you get a GC on a bad day you could have a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back