Hymer North America gone bust (1 Viewer)

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
hymer North America has gone pop. Instantly dismissed over 900 employees and won’t honour any warranty’s . Could this just be the start.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sounds like Thor industries have taken on a lot of debt $10m secured and $180m unsecured doesn’t sound good does it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Sounds like Thor industries have taken on a lot of debt $10m secured and $180m unsecured doesn’t sound good does it?
The article above says the US arm of Hymer was excluded from the purchase.
Corner Flag LLC seem to be the loser but wonder if they'll have any comeback given financial misdeclarations?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Old news on the Hymer forums, specially the american ones.
Yes it was reported some time ago and why the US arm was excluded. Wasn’t there an accounting scandal to do with it as well?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
They had different sales imvoices with the same vin numbers.
I assume due diligence was done before the purchase to check all ok??

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Ah.. American companies :eek:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Any updates available on Hymer manufacturing in Germany, are still taking orders?, will existing warranties be upheld?
What about Travelworld opening their new showroom, and calling it after Erwin Hymer, how will they now be affected?
Seems that's not the case in North America, Hymer sold out to Thor as we know, but existing US customers are in a quandary, especially the Merc Sprinter based vehicles as they apparently did not have the authority to alter/adapt the Merc Chassis, from Mercedes.
Availability of some spares going forward seems to be a concern for many owners over there.
Bloody shame, hope the German plant will survive, after the full audit is finished.

Les

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Found this from a reviewer in The US, tells the story for US van owners.

Les

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Any updates available on Hymer manufacturing in Germany, are still taking orders?, will existing warranties be upheld?
What about Travelworld opening their new showroom, and calling it after Erwin Hymer, how will they now be affected?
Seems that's not the case in North America, Hymer sold out to Thor as we know, but existing US customers are in a quandary, especially the Merc Sprinter based vehicles as they apparently did not have the authority to alter/adapt the Merc Chassis, from Mercedes.
Availability of some spares going forward seems to be a concern for many owners over there.
Bloody shame, hope the German plant will survive, after the full audit is finished.

Les
Doesn't seem to be anything to do with Hymer/Thor Industries. Probably just a cute divestment of a less than attractive portion of Hymer before the Thor deal.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I am sure I read Thor excluded the US business from the deal at the time due to the fraud issue

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Les
There are no problems at all with Hymer in Germany and no suggestions that they will close down or stop work. This is a story about an American company that I believe had the franchise for selling Hymers in the USA. My guess is that Hymer's new owners, Thor, will take over that roll now.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Now checked it out: Thor Industries did not include the US Hymer company it in their acquisition of Hymer group. I believe it was traded as a separate company within the Hymer group. It is now in receivership. See here:

https://rvmiles.com/erwin-hymer-north-america-roadtrek-is-done-entire-staff-laid-off/

The receivership will not impact Thor Group or their new acquisition, Erwin Hymer Group. So there is NO problem with Hymer group - now owned by Thor industries.

The US operation was not a franchise. Hymer bought Roadtrek in 2016. Someone will probably buy it out of receivership, or significant parts of it as Roadtrek was pretty big when Hymer bought it. Hymer will have lost a lot of money over this. It might be the reason they sold out to Thor, But I am guessing if that is true.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back