Hymer Newbie - starting issues (1 Viewer)

RSouthern

Free Member
Jan 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634 A Class
First time MH owner and bought a Hymer B634 (2.8 Fiat base) in the summer and loving it. Had a few trips out and travelled all over Cornwall - she ran like a dream. Have her in outside storage at the moment due to the cold and Covid. Popped down few days ago just too start her up and give the engine a run. Started ok - then after a minute our so stopped running - started up and same issue stooping after a few minutes. Now won't start at all - battery ok and turns over well. Seems like some type of fun issue. Anyone any ideas?

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Fuelling problem either no fuel or air in the fuel supply, perhaps water frozen in the somewhere, has it got fuel, change fuel filter as a first step. Check all hoses for tightness and that mice have not had a gnaw.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
I don't have the same hymer as you but it might be worth checking the fuel filter for water and when it was last changed. Wouldn't harm changing it anyway too šŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

RSouthern

Free Member
Jan 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634 A Class
Did the engine management light come on, any stored codes?
Saw the amber warning light which came on and went off - just been checking fiat manual and it seems it was the water in diesel fuel filter light. Is this a dealer issue or can I resolve this?

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Saw the amber warning light which came on and went off - just been checking fiat manual and it seems it was the water in diesel fuel filter light. Is this a dealer issue or can I resolve this?
Again not having the same engine as you if you're relatively DIY able, your diesel filter should have a drain on the bottom of it. You should be able to open it up and then close it once diesel instead of water comes through. Whats the service history like on it?

OP
OP
R

RSouthern

Free Member
Jan 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634 A Class
Again not having the same engine as you if you're relatively DIY able, your diesel filter should have a drain on the bottom of it. You should be able to open it up and then close it once diesel instead of water comes through. Whats the service history like on it?
Thanks - DIY able but previously only cars. Service history looks okay - last serviced when I purchased from a dealer in June. Will check that out - once I found where the diesel filter is.

OP
OP
R

RSouthern

Free Member
Jan 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634 A Class
As said it's a DIY job, or at worst a local garage.
Thanks - luckily I have is it stored at a garage so if i can't sure they will! Thanks for your help

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
w2f
It does sound like a filter problem from what you have said. A bit of a look at the Owners Manual or Workshop Manual should help find the unit and hopefully advise on draining off the water. Good luck.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
First time MH owner and bought a Hymer B634 (2.8 Fiat base) in the summer and loving it. Had a few trips out and travelled all over Cornwall - she ran like a dream. Have her in outside storage at the moment due to the cold and Covid. Popped down few days ago just too start her up and give the engine a run. Started ok - then after a minute our so stopped running - started up and same issue stooping after a few minutes. Now won't start at all - battery ok and turns over well. Seems like some type of fun issue. Anyone any ideas?
year?

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Welcome. You are already discovering how helpful folks are here. Good luck sorting the filter out.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Fuel filter is on rhs of engine bay, looked at facing engine. The filter is behind the air filter housing which needs to be removed first. Three bolts to take lid off off, then three bolts inside at bottom to remove the housing.
Easy diy job

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Given the freezing temperatures recently I just wonder if you are fuelled with summer diesel ? If so this can crystallise in the fuel filter in very cold weather. The fuel companies add something to prevent this in diesel sold in the winter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back