hymer mirrors (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Having driven my new to me Hymer down from scotland over the weekend, the one thing I did notice was how much the rear view mirrors wobbled about, any fixes for this ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just asked Ed, definitely no Wobble, is the bed secure as you travel.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Make sure you have the straps on tight, another tip, put a towel under the cooker lid when travelling. :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not something you think of but the mirror is attached to the bed., forgot to put that. We are off to Wrenbury, if I don't get on line for a few days it's because we have no internet. Lots to discover with the van have fun
:)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks Carol no its the outside ones mainly, have great time,

No one else noticed the wing mirrors wobbling????(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had the same problem and on mine 2001 B584 there is an Allen bolt that goes up from bottom of mirror bracket and if you tighten this it seats the pivot into internal castlation. They are prone to seizing up, when you rotate mirror it should lift a little compressing a spring.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I had the same problem and on mine 2001 B584 there is an Allen bolt that goes up from bottom of mirror bracket and if you tighten this it seats the pivot into internal castlation. They are prone to seizing up, when you rotate mirror it should lift a little compressing a spring.

Sorry not sure I understand, my mirrors don't feel loose but I will have a look tomorrow. did you manage to cure the wobble?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mine did seem wobbly on the bracket but they do still wobble a little, more vibrate, but try Allen screw it may help, not to tight though as it goes into ally.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Had a quick look today as I was washing it and it looks like both are seized so will have a look when Ive got time(y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
In this image mirror bracket is in normal position
image.jpg

Just taken a couple of photo's to hopefully show how the mirror bracket moves down when rotated.
In this image mirror bracket has moved down
image.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Here is a tip i just learnt while replacing a mirror glass on my RV.

When setting up the mirror ensure there is no gap between the glass and body/housing....ie: mirror glass turned too far in housing exposing the inside of the housing.

If there is a gap it can cause a partial vacuum as you travel forwards and will cause the mirror glass to vibrate on its pivot.

Turn the mirror housing on its mount so the glass is as flat in the housing as possible when positioned for normal use.

Then use minimal adjustments while keeping the glass as flat as possible.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Ok thanks to both of you, Pappajohn I'm sure you are correct but its not the glass its the whole thing that wobbles and my opinion is that its where its bolted to the side of the van, it flexes the panel and the only way to fix that would be to bolt it staight through to something solid on the inside. looks like I might have to take mine apart at some point anyway because if I were to hit something they will probly tear right off of the van they are seized solid:eek:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Just to be clear here this is not a little vibration the bloody things wobble about so much I can hardly see properly:doh:

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Mine are as solid as a rock,............Tim, how are yours mounted ? do you have the double mirror's mounted 'truck style', ie an arm holding both mirrors top and bottom. ? (and the mirrors 'clamped to said arm ?)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Try spray with release agent into part if photo'ed and let it soak, it may help.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yep I've got the same mirrors and the left hand one wobbles not as bad as yours though.
Been like it since I've owned it, keep looking at it but haven't got around to it.
Be interested to know how you get on if you decide to tackle it.
Good luck
Nice looking van

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You need to remove the mirrors from the mounting block that is screwed to the side of the van. The mirror bar unit sits down on a tapered seat on the block that is attached to the van wall. Remove the electrical connector then tap up with a rubber mallet until the mirror unit comes free then you will see the securing screws in the mounting block - obviously take care not to damage the electrical connector. Tighten the securing screws to the van wall then refit the mirrors, tapping downwards to secure them.

Please note, I have not done this procedure but I remember reading a report a couple of years ago, by someone who had.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You need to remove the mirrors from the mounting block that is screwed to the side of the van. The mirror bar unit sits down on a tapered seat on the block that is attached to the van wall. Remove the electrical connector then tap up with a rubber mallet until the mirror unit comes free then you will see the securing screws in the mounting block - obviously take care not to damage the electrical connector. Tighten the securing screws to the van wall then refit the mirrors, tapping downwards to secure them.

Please note, I have not done this procedure but I remember reading a report a couple of years ago, by someone who had.
I think this must be for a different bracket, the one the OP's is fixed to the body by 4 screws but the mirror arm is above and below the bracket so can't be tapped up to remove, I don't think.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for all the replies guys(y) still not had time to do anything yet might try this weekend, wifey and F1 permitting:sneaky:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
My mirrors are the same style on my Hymer. Mine don't wobble but they sometimes move out of position. I took them to a garage and the mechanic said it was the bolts which as far as I remember get a bit mashed. He tightened them as far as possible, but has made very little difference

Shirl

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Well I got them to swivel now but they still wobble about, I think they need some support at the top but it needs to be something that moves if they get wacked so got my thinking cap on and if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them(y)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

Hi Jeanluc
Yes I have looked and cannot beleave its that simple to remove, no securing bolts just tap up and of it comes:eek: so anyone with a hammer can nick my mirrors anytime:X3:
Anyway I have not bothered because they are not loose, its the van side panel that flexes. I wondering if a bit of rigid rubber hose glued to the top of the mirror and to the side of the van might be enough to give it some support but would move if wacked:cool: and not look too crap:D

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
My mirrors are the same style on my Hymer. Mine don't wobble but they sometimes move out of position. I took them to a garage and the mechanic said it was the bolts which as far as I remember get a bit mashed. He tightened them as far as possible, but has made very little difference

Shirl

Hi Shirl
Mine were the opposite but I undid the bolts top and bottom and sprayed some wd40 on it and they loosened up but once I'd done the bolts up again they were moving only with a hard push. If your bolts are mashed maybe you can replace them(y)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Just asked Ed, definitely no Wobble, is the bed secure as you travel.

Hi Carol
Had a good look around the bed once I'd taken the shroud off, it looks like one of the bolts has stripped its threads and is just about holding on so I'm in the process of finding a replacement so once Ive done that hopefully it should be a bit more rigid, just one thing I'm wondering is, do the bolts need to be a little loose for the whole contraption to work or are they tight, anyone??

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
As a matter of interest,how did you manage to free them,I'd be very interested as mine are both seized solid,I have tried trickling plus-gas and a very fine machine oil down into the internal castellation pivots for a number of weeks now with no success,I took them in a truck/bus workshop but they were unsuccessful in freeing them up and were reluctant to try using heavy machinery tactics,in case they damaged them.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
As a matter of interest,how did you manage to free them,I'd be very interested as mine are both seized solid,I have tried trickling plus-gas and a very fine machine oil down into the internal castellation pivots for a number of weeks now with no success,I took them in a truck/bus workshop but they were unsuccessful in freeing them up and were reluctant to try using heavy machinery tactics,in case they damaged them.

Sorry Pal
Only just seen your post, I loosened top and bottom nuts and with a bit of wd40 they lossened up, then did nuts backup again till the right tension, so they can swing back if knocked (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back