LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not a huge amount of money for what you get compared to German stuff but I do wonder how they can build that under 7500kg there must be some corners cut in the construction.

Not for me though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Very plastic inside and no garage outside

IMO the "Garage" is the absolute worst feature of modern motorhomes. Designed originally to house light items like a couple of pushbikes, but now vans under 4¼ tons tend to rely on the garage for all their storage. That is an inefficient use of space, it's poor storage as everything ends up in a heap and it's almost always too far behind the rear axle. For me, No garage = bonus

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Very plastic inside and no garage outside
Who needs a garage when you have SPACE !! Oh and an out side TV sound system and wet bar! I mean come on!

I am biased I have the 2018 Windsport and I love it

Mind you I have always favoured RV's over European or UK built vans

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
IMO the "Garage" is the absolute worst feature of modern motorhomes. Designed originally to house light items like a couple of pushbikes, but now vans under 4¼ tons tend to rely on the garage for all their storage. That is an inefficient use of space, it's poor storage as everything ends up in a heap and it's almost always too far behind the rear axle. For me, No garage = bonus
Your disliked feature is my must have, we are all different. The only option on an RV like that would be to mount a platform on the tow hitch to carry my mobility scooter. Then I can't tow the small car behind. Not all of us are blessed with the ability to walk or cycle to explore an area or collect provisions

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Who needs a garage when you have SPACE !! Oh and an out side TV sound system and wet bar! I mean come on!

I am biased I have the 2018 Windsport and I love it

Mind you I have always favoured RV's over European or UK built vans
We have plenty of storage space and could rig an outside TV if I wanted one but :unsure: no thanks, but I would not entertain a van without a garage where do you carry your bikes and/or scooter?

I don't see how it is that inefficient Jim as RV's without a garage just seem to have a lower bed so we have a bed and a garage in the same space, piles of junk are not allowed in my garage though and being 2600kg on the front axle a bit of weight behind the rear axle is a good thing in my book.

Good job we are all different though;)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have plenty of storage space and could rig an outside TV if I wanted one but :unsure: no thanks, but I would not entertain a van without a garage where do you carry your bikes and/or scooter?

I don't see how it is that inefficient Jim as RV's without a garage just seem to have a lower bed so we have a bed and a garage in the same space, piles of junk are not allowed in my garage though and being 2600kg on the front axle a bit of weight behind the rear axle is a good thing in my book.

Good job we are all different though;)

They are a great idea for vans of your size. But not on all the 3.5 ton vans where they have become so fashionable.

As for tidy garages. Well some have them. The vast majority I see start off ok till the little shelves and the floor is full, then everything is junked on top. far better for organisation to have a number of smaller lockers, rather than the big dustbin. 2.5 to 3m from the rear axle.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I wouldn't know what to do with that sort of 'motorhome'.

Definitely not for me... but great if you attend lots of functions/shows etc.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
They are a great idea for vans of your size. But not on all the 3.5 ton vans where they have become so fashionable.

As for tidy garages. Well some have them. The vast majority I see start off ok till the little shelves and the floor is full, then everything is junked on top. far better for organisation to have a number of smaller lockers, rather than the big dustbin. 2.5 to 3m from the rear axle.
tried getting our two electric bikes in an overhead locker but failed - ditto the BBQ, the outside table and chairs.
Garage perfect for us but we are quite strict in what we carry and how we organise it - even though we have plenty of payload for the rear we get nowhere near it.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Ok Ok so a coupe of facts, Rear garages came about because lack of storage of outside items, Chassis in this weight category have
"cross load lockers" whilst admittedly not all in one space certainly by volume the same,
so to the bike thing, E-bikes buy foldable that fit in the side. Scooter sits on the tow frame, and still have tow ball for the rest The tow frame is rated
at 8000llbs thats 3.5 ton, !!The interior is refreshingly light coloured for a yank, The ford F550 chassis drive remarkable well, But its petrol.

Now if it was European Diesel powered, wow It would be a cracker.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

I agree about those who just shove everything in and pretend it doesn't matter that it's a mess, I couldn't live with it like that which is why I always organise my storage properly and ensure stuff is put away where it should be and whoa-betide 'anyone' (he who shall remain unnamed!) who just dumps anything back wherever he pleases! As we wanted a fixed rear bed it makes sense to use the area underneath it as much as possible, if it was a lower bed with more roof lockers it wouldn't work.

When we had the Rapido 709F with a longitudinal fixed bed the only access was either through a small locker door on the side or by lifting the bed base, as the folding bikes wouldn't go in via the locker door we had no choice but to lift them in/out via the interior which was an absolute s*d to do ... never again!

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Why are phone videos always in portrait and not landscape? Do they find it too difficult?

OP
OP
Tanya_and_Mick

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
I think it will interesting to see how the American RV evolves over the next 60 months (if at all) as Thor and Hymer further integrate....

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Motorhome, Garage, Re-fillable gas, Solar Panel, Outside BBQ point, Air suspension.
The most perfect van for our lifestyles...
Good description of our current and next van...

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
It will be of great interest, AS I was at Hymer in 2019, They were, to say the least pissed that they are owned by the Americans.
Make no mistake Hymer was saved here,The smart money is allowing a company to sell to its market, which Thor do very well.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It will be of great interest, AS I was at Hymer in 2019, They were, to say the least pissed that they are owned by the Americans.
Make no mistake Hymer was saved here,The smart money is allowing a company to sell to its market, which Thor do very well.

I think Hymer owed them some cash, but it wasnt a hostile takeover. So why would they be pissed? Hymer were in profit selling 2.5bn€ of vans and caravans at the time of the sale.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Wow Controversial or what Jim!

Like some others the garage was a must have. Its my very cramped man cave. If I had to keep the Bikes/BBQ/Silver screens/toolkit/chairs/awning/spare wheel/General crap inside the motorhome I would be able to see what an absolute tip it was :LOL:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I didn’t realise garages were so important until you get a van without one, then you realise how much you miss it.
Trying to travel with chairs inside the van, falling over other stuff that won’t fit anywhere.
Bikes get ruined on exterior bike racks

Give me a garage, ours isn’t a big garage either

OP
OP
Tanya_and_Mick

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Transitioning from a twin tag large garage Hymer to a RV required thought, but with some organisation the garage wasn’t missed - plus some RV locker space was lost to LPG tanks

We always kept a tidy garage when we had one, but the transition from the RV to a GlobeCar took some organisation too - but it can work when you carry what you need not what you might want .....

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
In my view a garage is an almost a must have these days.
No one wants to hang a 2 grand mountain bike or battery powered bikes on the outside of their van.
Or have a rack / tow bar strong enough to support battery powered bikes if not a scooter.
Many people wants the flexibility of a second form of transport - if they must have a MoHo and not just have a caravan.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wow Controversial or what Jim!

Not really, I've had 30 great years of motorhoming without a garage. For me, different external lockers, such as beer, shoe, BBQ etc have been far more useful than one big hole at the back of the van. That said, I agree, If you have the payload and spare capacity on the rear axle then of course they can be useful for some who want to store expensive bikes or scoots.

My beef with garages are the vans with zero useful storage between the axles and you are supposed to carry everything in the garage.

Remember the guy here a year or so ago. He had a garage quoted to be able to hold 250kg. He put 160kg in his garage and found out his rear axle was overloaded by 100kg! So every kilo over 60, over loaded his rear axle by a little more than a kilo. the garage looked great but so does a chocolate fireguard, until you light the fire.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Correct not a hostile take over, Thor paid 2.1 billion which included shares to the hymer family/board and a outstanding unpaid debts.
The work force is very typical southern German, with family members all working at the plant.and a long tradition in what they did,
then to have an American come and take over, the older of the staff lets say were not happy,
I guess the family members will have a different view. It was to early to see what benefits or changes were going to take place.
Another fact for you. The Thor Group, is the largest purchaser of Mercedes chassis for recreational vehicles. world wide.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Not really, I've had 30 great years of motorhoming without a garage. For me, different external lockers, such as beer, shoe, BBQ etc have been far more useful than one big hole at the back of the van. That said, I agree, If you have the payload and spare capacity on the rear axle then of course they can be useful for some who want to store expensive bikes or scoots.

My beef with garages are the vans with zero useful storage between the axles and you are supposed to carry everything in the garage.

Remember the guy here a year or so ago. He had a garage quoted to be able to hold 250kg. He put 160kg in his garage and found out his rear axle was overloaded by 100kg! So every kilo over 60, over loaded his rear axle by a little more than a kilo. the garage looked great but so does a chocolate fireguard, until you light the fire.
One of my must have’s was a large garage as my bike wouldn’t get through the hab door, might look a bit cluttered but I don’t mind.
7C81066E-B0F2-472E-ACD5-D298BB5614B4.jpeg
C60C8F55-2843-4285-80B6-30D8A6D767DC.jpeg
D61E6692-5AE5-47BC-9F83-36F2EAB04CE1.jpeg
111F81E4-04F8-4750-8E89-094C88EB80A3.jpeg

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
One of my must have’s was a large garage as my bike wouldn’t get through the hab door, might look a bit cluttered but I don’t mind.

Yes but your van also has a double floor with useful storage between the axles (y)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
One of my must have’s was a large garage as my bike wouldn’t get through the hab door, might look a bit cluttered but I don’t mind. View attachment 483270View attachment 483271View attachment 483272View attachment 483273
Some cheeky git parked in my parking bay a few days ago....but someone parking a motorbike in your motorhome garage is taking things bit far....if I were you I would lock it in future and come to think about it...drive off...that will teach the cheeky begger a lesson...

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
When I looked at hurricanes about 2 years ago they had bugger all payload, they are semi basement so no double floor, no through lockers which in the main are already used for various utilities. Salesman tried to convince me it didn't matter if I went over 7.5 as that was what was on the plate so I would still be legal.
Nice inside though. :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back