Hymer influence? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Garage is essential for us, where else are we going to put the scooter that keeps it dry and safe? And, for me, the idea of towing it on a trailer defeats the whole simplicity of using a motorhome and just pulling up, putting the handbrake on and relaxing. If I wanted to tow something (which I don't) it would be a caravan with a car!

My garage gets tidily packed, otherwise I couldn't get everything in it. 3 plastic boxes for the smaller stuff that can't fit on the shelves, BBQ, chairs, table, water carrier, hoses, scooter ramp, spare wheel etc. We have a 4.5t MGW and rear axle capacity of 2.5t. Must admit we are close on the rear axle when in full touring mode. But if I am stopped for a weighing I can always drop the 120 litres of fresh water I usually carry.

As well as the garage we have two large deep belly lockers amidships accessed by hatches from inside for lots more stuff. We call them our wine cellars.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A garage is a must for us as well, it houses 2 e-bikes spare wheel, spare cassette, washing machine, chairs & table and now I've got a paddleboard to go in as well.
Fully loaded with full water tank (160 Lt) 200kg to 300kg spare on the rear axle.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Why are phone videos always in portrait and not landscape? Do they find it too difficult?
Itā€™s called Vertical Video Syndrome...just say no to VVS šŸ˜‰šŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: ctc
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thatā€™s a mighty hamster and wheel. As for Lennyā€™s 300kg spare on the rear axle, we have 3g spare.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
IMO the "Garage" is the absolute worst feature of modern motorhomes. Designed originally to house light items like a couple of pushbikes, but now vans under 4Ā¼ tons tend to rely on the garage for all their storage. That is an inefficient use of space, it's poor storage as everything ends up in a heap and it's almost always too far behind the rear axle. For me, No garage = bonus
Funny how we all have different requirements. Good job I suppose or weā€™d all be in the same queue. šŸ˜€
I have a short 3.5T with a reasonable well organised garage and still plenty of locker space.
bathroom is slightly less than a postage stamp though. šŸ˜†

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I fitted shelves in my cave to limit what can be put in there :) Much of my under floor storage space is unused/unuseable.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Why are phone videos always in portrait and not landscape? Do they find it too difficult?
Found the anti VVS You tube Video, if you haven't seen it enjoy (y) :giggle:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
IMO the "Garage" is the absolute worst feature of modern motorhomes. Designed originally to house light items like a couple of pushbikes, but now vans under 4Ā¼ tons tend to rely on the garage for all their storage. That is an inefficient use of space, it's poor storage as everything ends up in a heap and it's almost always too far behind the rear axle. For me, No garage = bonus
Good points Jim and although I do not have a garage I have always wondered if they are just big heat draws causing the underside of the bed to be very cold in winter?

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Our old (2007 reg) French bed model Hymer has a very useful, but low, (heated!) garage, and belly lockers between the floors, one of which is full width for the outdoor table etc. We put stuff all over and two folding Bromptonā€™s in the garage. Iā€™ve never had so much space!
My new Scooter is going on a side load trailer though. Not sure yet how that will work out.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Good points Jim and although I do not have a garage I have always wondered if they are just big heat draws causing the underside of the bed to be very cold in winter?
No problem at all. Both the motorhomes I have owned had a heated garage. The Adria had a truma hot air outlet in the garage and the Hymer has a Alde convector behind a grill in the garage. Never been cold in the bedroom

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As mentioned above they often have heating vents in them however we don't have the heating on overnight and have never had any issues with cold beds in the night - for most there is usually a board above the garage then slats/supports with the thick mattress on top so it is well insulated anyway however there are a few that don't have this, for example we had a Chausson Flash 04 with a rear transverse bed that had an adjustable height facility thus there was a gap round the side of the bed which allowed cold air in the garage to enter the bed area, not something I'd have again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back