Hymer in line waste trap (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
One of the drains in my shower tray is not draining. Looking under the floor I can see this in line trap which I suspect is well blocked

20180715_154111.jpg

Access is very tight between the floors. It looks like I should be able to undo the bottom cover, but I can't work out how. Has anybody come across this type of trap before and know how to undo the bottom?

Will I have to disconnect it from the drain first and if so is it just a pull off connection? And can I just push it back on.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just unscrews from what I remember. Put something under to catch the water.

Martin

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Looks like same trap as in kitchen sink and they just twist off and have o ring seal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just unscrews from what I remember. Put something under to catch the water.

Martin

Looks like same trap as in kitchen sink and they just twist off and have o ring seal.

Thanks Martin and @Figaro . Tried that but there are 4 little lugs (you can see one on the photo) that stop it turning. Or is there some sort of screw hidden in the bottom.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Peter
Looks to me like the pipe goes uphill after leaving the trap, which may be allowing air locks.
Any way of bending the pipe so it’s level or falling downhill?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The four lugs are just part of the twist mechanism to secure it in place.
Just twist and it should come off.
Here's my spare I just looked at.
IMG_20180715_162228954.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin and @Figaro . Tried that but there are 4 little lugs (you can see one on the photo) that stop it turning. Or is there some sort of screw hidden in the bottom.
I haven't got our van here at the moment to check but would have thought that these are the same as ours which just turned, are those little bits that look like lugs actually just for a tool to make it easier. If you cant get a good grip the non slip matting that you use on shelves is really good for gripping stuff.

Martin

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The four lugs are just part of the twist mechanism to secure it in place.
Just twist and it should come off.
Here's my spare I just looked at.
View attachment 243594
Thank you again. That is an interesting photo but is it, like mine, an inline one? There seems to show the bottom of a sink strainer, but mine is not attached at all to the shower tray. The top (bottom in your photo) is sealed. Or is the screw off bit supposed to be on the top or the bottom? Mine is on the bottom, does that mean it has been fitted upside down?

Also, which way does it turn if on the bottom please, left or right?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hope these are clearer.
Twist off is anticlockwise

View attachment 243604 View attachment 243605 View attachment 243605
Thanks but as I thought mine is different. It has an inlet on one side and an outlet on the other side. It does not have a sink attachment on top, it is just sealed. The drain in the shower exits on a 90 degree fitting to the corrugated pipe you see on the left of my photo, which then enters the sealed trap. Water then flow out the pipe on the right side and flow into the grey waste tank.

Having said that the bottom is exactly the same as yours and I managed after a lot of grunting to get it off by twisting in the direction you said. And when I did the trap was as clean as a whistle. So still none the wiser why the shower is not draining!

Thanks for all of your help

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks but as I thought mine is different. It has an inlet on one side and an outlet on the other side. It does not have a sink attachment on top, it is just sealed. The drain in the shower exits on a 90 degree fitting to the corrugated pipe you see on the left of my photo, which then enters the sealed trap. Water then flow out the pipe on the right side and flow into the grey waste tank.

Having said that the bottom is exactly the same as yours and I managed after a lot of grunting to get it off by twisting in the direction you said. And when I did the trap was as clean as a whistle. So still none the wiser why the shower is not draining!

Did you see my suggestion above?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So still none the wiser why the shower is not draining!

Is it all your hair caught down the plug itself? :whistle:

Seriously, mine was slow to drain and the cause was gunge hidden behind. The silver bit pulls up as it is sealed by a large rubber washer

image.jpg

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Did you see my suggestion above?
Robert, sooooooo sorry, but I have been going back and forwards between the computer and the van and I missed it. I had already been giving. The photo is a bit deceptive and the inflow pipe was flat between shower fitting and trap, but was bent in a horizontal curve, if you see what I mean. No air trap there. And on the other side it has a slope towards the tank.

I have packed in now for the night and am going to make myself a nice Chicken Biryani.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert, sooooooo sorry, but I have been going back and forwards between the computer and the van and I missed it. I had already been giving. The photo is a bit deceptive and the inflow pipe was flat between shower fitting and trap, but was bent in a horizontal curve, if you see what I mean. No air trap there. And on the other side it has a slope towards the tank.
In which case if the trap is clear I’d try a sink plunger

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We have closed our grey waste valve for the first time on a new van in March as we were on a pub car park but have now noticed the stink is starting after 4 days even though no really dirty water has gone down the drain, Hymer's actually seem to be just as crap as all the other vans .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back