Hymer / Hella spoil my weekend again

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Mar 10, 2018.

1. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,109
    Hi @DavidG58 Have you actually tried to get TW/Hymer to replace this light, once you take the front off you have missed your chance, I know that they are not top of your Christmas card list and I understand why BUT.

Martin

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +7,586
    Development costs for a shitty lense that keeps shattering, we should bombard Hymer and hella with cack publicity, start a hymie the headlight page on FB and ask for likes!?:mad:

• Like it Like it x 6
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +7,586
    I made one from a sheet of Perspex from b&q when mine bust, stuck on with gaffa tape, not pretty but it lasted a couple of weeks till I got it replaced. Very interested in a clever funster made lense lense as I kept the old unit so I’d have a spare. Replaced the running lights on mine to reduce the heat build up.(y)

• Like it Like it x 2
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +40,469
    @GWAYGWAY nice work you are doing there

looking at the polycarbonate it appears to have holes in it, have you bought this as a protector from the ebay seller?

If so @Terry I already have a pair, they arrived while we were away, so we can try with that although mine is still flat

I am still totally unconvinced that we need stone protection, obviously there is a possibility a stone could break glass, as can a pheasant :whistle:, but with all the breakages we ever hear of being near side (LHS) I think this also applies to LHD versions so I also presume the whole of Europe is affected

@funflair morning Martin I have been snowed under with work issues this week and haven't even made a call yet, one big issue there is that we removed the light a few times ourselves after TW had given it their best effort and failed, so could easily have any blame transferred back to us. It was also 2 years ago

However best plan here might be get a new one fitted hopefully at reduced price then work on the broken casing, or borrow @dabhand Simons light unit in the meantime that at least they gave him back to experiment on

I am going to see how good a fit the cover will give, then get my plastics man to cut several the same (or slightly bigger if needed) without fixing holes so we have a stock to play with. Not looked too closely yet but even think the same shape may bit both sides provided polycarbonate can be used either side up cant think why it shouldn't

I really cant think why Hymer and Hella haven't got together and sorted a polycarbonate cover in place of the glass themselves this should be so embarrassing for them both, but all the while they make us keep paying why should they :mad::( at least that way a new light with an improved cover should be more likely to last the life of the MH (y) come on Hella or Hymer, maybe a few links to these type of discussions should got to them both by email. The UK dealers don't seem willing to take on their suppliers

• Like it Like it x 5
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +40,469
    just sent email to TW asking / begging for financial support from Hymer

lets see what happens :)(y)

positive thoughts please peeps (y)

• Like it Like it x 5
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  6. Terry

Terry Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +7,565
    Morning David simply don't mension to TW that we MODIFIED the van to make the light fit....I am sure they cannot put the blame on that after 2 years ...Will wait to hear from you and your plastic man

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. SpeedyDux

SpeedyDux Funster

Ratings:
    +4,239
    Hymers are expensive enough without this avoidable fragility / vulnerability of the headlight unit and the extortionate replacement cost.

The fancy design seems to give more priority to the "look" of the vehicle than the owner's best interests.

I hope that Hymer is receptive to @DavidG58's plea.

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Ratings:
    +2,963
    Has anyone had a measure up of the new style light or been able to take a stencil of the shape to compare with the old style.
    If not then I will do so at Peterbough show.

9. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Ratings:
    +2,963
    I have just been looking around on the net and found a company in Wallsall called The Plastic Man they have facilities to lazer cut and heat form a range of plastics any thickness.

• Like it Like it x 3
  10. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Ratings:
    +3,975
    No, that one has locator holes to allow me various ways of trimming it to the master template, I will use that one as a cover for my hopefully still living glass headlamps, attached with suckers but the way I do it now is clamping the plastic to the template cutting with a high speed router and no new holes at all which would allow the cover to be bonded to the old plastic body.. I have a wafty thermostat in the overn so I need to fix that to get the oven to a proper temperature, also the old polycarbone I have has moisture in it which clouds the sheet , I will play away with that to learn the best way to do it then buy some more NEW sheets which should only need a short cooking time to remove the moisture before wacking up the temperature to mould temps.. For real fun I am moulding PETG for headlamp glass as it does not need to be so impact resistant as the shields do, for stone impact. Ongoing fun in the man-shed for a few day until it gets too cold again. I really think the headlamp shattering is a making fault as the shape and stresses do not make for a stable unit, glass is fragile, I have neve had a headlamp break with the round UK type, even being smacked with a brick , small holes yes, but not shattering no. big area and fancy shapes do not go together, as the car makers found out.

• Like it Like it x 2
  11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +40,469
    well I did as suggested, put the bad times to one side and request help from TW

Good morning Annabel

You may remember me, we had an identical email conversation to this almost exactly 2 years ago

The nearside headlight glass on our Hymer 800s reg DG 369 has self destructed while parked on our drive

I am again totally convinced this isn’t a stone chip, also reading forum comments from UK and Europe it appears this is approaching epidemic numbers and doesn’t seem to apply only to early units as we though with ours

Do you think there is any chance that Hymer will support this replacement in anyway? Part of the cost maybe? It does seem that something must be wrong with the lights or fitting

If they wont I still need a new light so can you please order another unit for me

Sad regards
    David Godfrey

to which I have had this reply

Hi David

I have gone back through all the previous emails and it was 2016

I am afraid we are in the process of a complete system change and I will not be able to look into your case until after Easter

Please advise if you are happy to wait or if you would prefer to contact another dealer

Kind Regards

Annabel Edwards

Travelworld Motorhomes

Should I presume from this that they really don't like me either, wish they would tell their email system that, if its the case, I get bombed with adverts from them, as this damage effectively renders the MH unusable I feel the after Easter suggestion is far from satisfactory, but will respond politely to say that

It is only a spare part I need at the end of the day o_O

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    • Like it Like it x 1
  12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,109
    Oh dear, not very sympathetic or helpful, contact another dealer about a part purchased from TW:LOL:

Martin

• Like it Like it x 2
  13. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Ratings:
    +2,579
    That reply seems pretty poor to me, they would much prefer you go bother some other dealer.
    As you say it's only a spare part. The system change sound s like nonsense to me.
    Good luck in sorting out

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +39,663
    Pretty poor response
    I’d still suggest taking legal advice and getting a solicitors letter off to them
    The lights should last more than 2 years

• Like it Like it x 3
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +40,469
    I have queried her reply, to see if they can't even order a part till after Easter or take issue with Hymer until after Easter

Although we don't drive in the dark I am not sure how legal it would be to drive round with the headlight like it is

@Robert Clark the trouble with longevity will be proving it isn't a stone chip, Hymer seem to be in denial about the shattering being their problem, but if they say again, like they did with my first light that it's a stone chip, no idea how to prove otherwise, although I know and most of you will agree it is not likely. The front of the glass is totally smooth other than slight ridges where it has crazed

I have taken TW's suggestion as well though and emailed a dealer in the Irish Republic for prices (y)

• Like it Like it x 2
  16. Manic

Manic Funster

Ratings:
    +2,797
    Hi David, as your now on the FB hog group, message -Andrew Thompson- at TW and ask him about it, he seems to be helpful.

17. Kim H

Kim H Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,564
    @DavidG58 Have you thought about asking Chris Davies at Reliance?

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +40,469
    No I hadn't thought, is he a Hymer dealer / agent? I did also think about Peter Hambilton

19. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +990
    It might be worth calling Chris Davies at Reliance Caravan and Motorhome Services on 01243 940050, he has been called the Parts Guru elsewhere on this site. Until recently he worked for Premier Motorhomes and probably knows more about sourcing Hymer parts than anyone else. I don’t know if he has direct access to Hymer spares any longer but he is the type of person who likes to be helpful. At the very least he is likely to know who to contact, which buttons to press and whether Hymer have ever conceded a claim.

• Like it Like it x 1
  20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +40,469

does yours have a Bi Xenon headlight

I should say did have, and was yours LHD? that would make buying abroad a bit easier I think

I have emailed an Irish dealer to see how their price compares with them driving on the left (y)

• Like it Like it x 1