Hymer / Hella spoil my weekend again (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @DavidG58 Have you actually tried to get TW/Hymer to replace this light, once you take the front off you have missed your chance, I know that they are not top of your Christmas card list and I understand why BUT.

Martin

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I made one from a sheet of Perspex from b&q when mine bust, stuck on with gaffa tape, not pretty but it lasted a couple of weeks till I got it replaced. Very interested in a clever funster made lense lense as I kept the old unit so I’d have a spare. Replaced the running lights on mine to reduce the heat build up.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@GWAYGWAY nice work you are doing there

looking at the polycarbonate it appears to have holes in it, have you bought this as a protector from the ebay seller?

If so @Terry I already have a pair, they arrived while we were away, so we can try with that although mine is still flat

I am still totally unconvinced that we need stone protection, obviously there is a possibility a stone could break glass, as can a pheasant :whistle:, but with all the breakages we ever hear of being near side (LHS) I think this also applies to LHD versions so I also presume the whole of Europe is affected

@funflair morning Martin I have been snowed under with work issues this week and haven't even made a call yet, one big issue there is that we removed the light a few times ourselves after TW had given it their best effort and failed, so could easily have any blame transferred back to us. It was also 2 years ago

However best plan here might be get a new one fitted hopefully at reduced price then work on the broken casing, or borrow @dabhand Simons light unit in the meantime that at least they gave him back to experiment on

I am going to see how good a fit the cover will give, then get my plastics man to cut several the same (or slightly bigger if needed) without fixing holes so we have a stock to play with. Not looked too closely yet but even think the same shape may bit both sides provided polycarbonate can be used either side up cant think why it shouldn't

I really cant think why Hymer and Hella haven't got together and sorted a polycarbonate cover in place of the glass themselves this should be so embarrassing for them both, but all the while they make us keep paying why should they :mad::( at least that way a new light with an improved cover should be more likely to last the life of the MH (y) come on Hella or Hymer, maybe a few links to these type of discussions should got to them both by email. The UK dealers don't seem willing to take on their suppliers

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning David simply don't mension to TW that we MODIFIED the van to make the light fit....I am sure they cannot put the blame on that after 2 years ...Will wait to hear from you and your plastic man

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hymers are expensive enough without this avoidable fragility / vulnerability of the headlight unit and the extortionate replacement cost.

The fancy design seems to give more priority to the "look" of the vehicle than the owner's best interests.

I hope that Hymer is receptive to @DavidG58's plea.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Has anyone had a measure up of the new style light or been able to take a stencil of the shape to compare with the old style.
If not then I will do so at Peterbough show.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have just been looking around on the net and found a company in Wallsall called The Plastic Man they have facilities to lazer cut and heat form a range of plastics any thickness.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
@GWAYGWAY nice work you are doing there

looking at the polycarbonate it appears to have holes in it, have you bought this as a protector from the ebay seller?

If so @Terry I already have a pair, they arrived while we were away, so we can try with that although mine is still flat

I am still totally unconvinced that we need stone protection, obviously there is a possibility a stone could break glass, as can a pheasant :whistle:, but with all the breakages we ever hear of being near side (LHS) I think this also applies to LHD versions so I also presume the whole of Europe is affected

@funflair morning Martin I have been snowed under with work issues this week and haven't even made a call yet, one big issue there is that we removed the light a few times ourselves after TW had given it their best effort and failed, so could easily have any blame transferred back to us. It was also 2 years ago

However best plan here might be get a new one fitted hopefully at reduced price then work on the broken casing, or borrow @dabhand Simons light unit in the meantime that at least they gave him back to experiment on

I am going to see how good a fit the cover will give, then get my plastics man to cut several the same (or slightly bigger if needed) without fixing holes so we have a stock to play with. Not looked too closely yet but even think the same shape may bit both sides provided polycarbonate can be used either side up cant think why it shouldn't

I really cant think why Hymer and Hella haven't got together and sorted a polycarbonate cover in place of the glass themselves this should be so embarrassing for them both, but all the while they make us keep paying why should they :mad::( at least that way a new light with an improved cover should be more likely to last the life of the MH (y) come on Hella or Hymer, maybe a few links to these type of discussions should got to them both by email. The UK dealers don't seem willing to take on their suppliers

No, that one has locator holes to allow me various ways of trimming it to the master template, I will use that one as a cover for my hopefully still living glass headlamps, attached with suckers but the way I do it now is clamping the plastic to the template cutting with a high speed router and no new holes at all which would allow the cover to be bonded to the old plastic body.. I have a wafty thermostat in the overn so I need to fix that to get the oven to a proper temperature, also the old polycarbone I have has moisture in it which clouds the sheet , I will play away with that to learn the best way to do it then buy some more NEW sheets which should only need a short cooking time to remove the moisture before wacking up the temperature to mould temps.. For real fun I am moulding PETG for headlamp glass as it does not need to be so impact resistant as the shields do, for stone impact. Ongoing fun in the man-shed for a few day until it gets too cold again. I really think the headlamp shattering is a making fault as the shape and stresses do not make for a stable unit, glass is fragile, I have neve had a headlamp break with the round UK type, even being smacked with a brick , small holes yes, but not shattering no. big area and fancy shapes do not go together, as the car makers found out.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
well I did as suggested, put the bad times to one side and request help from TW

Good morning Annabel

You may remember me, we had an identical email conversation to this almost exactly 2 years ago

The nearside headlight glass on our Hymer 800s reg DG 369 has self destructed while parked on our drive

I am again totally convinced this isn’t a stone chip, also reading forum comments from UK and Europe it appears this is approaching epidemic numbers and doesn’t seem to apply only to early units as we though with ours

Do you think there is any chance that Hymer will support this replacement in anyway? Part of the cost maybe? It does seem that something must be wrong with the lights or fitting

If they wont I still need a new light so can you please order another unit for me

Sad regards
David Godfrey

to which I have had this reply

Hi David

I have gone back through all the previous emails and it was 2016

I am afraid we are in the process of a complete system change and I will not be able to look into your case until after Easter

Please advise if you are happy to wait or if you would prefer to contact another dealer

Kind Regards

Annabel Edwards

Travelworld Motorhomes

Should I presume from this that they really don't like me either, wish they would tell their email system that, if its the case, I get bombed with adverts from them, as this damage effectively renders the MH unusable I feel the after Easter suggestion is far from satisfactory, but will respond politely to say that

It is only a spare part I need at the end of the day o_O

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
well I did as suggested, put the bad times to one side and request help from TW

Good morning Annabel

You may remember me, we had an identical email conversation to this almost exactly 2 years ago

The nearside headlight glass on our Hymer 800s reg DG 369 has self destructed while parked on our drive

I am again totally convinced this isn’t a stone chip, also reading forum comments from UK and Europe it appears this is approaching epidemic numbers and doesn’t seem to apply only to early units as we though with ours

Do you think there is any chance that Hymer will support this replacement in anyway? Part of the cost maybe? It does seem that something must be wrong with the lights or fitting

If they wont I still need a new light so can you please order another unit for me

Sad regards
David Godfrey

to which I have had this reply

Hi David

I have gone back through all the previous emails and it was 2016

I am afraid we are in the process of a complete system change and I will not be able to look into your case until after Easter

Please advise if you are happy to wait or if you would prefer to contact another dealer

Kind Regards

Annabel Edwards

Travelworld Motorhomes

Should I presume from this that they really don't like me either, wish they would tell their email system that, if its the case, I get bombed with adverts from them, as this damage effectively renders the MH unusable I feel the after Easter suggestion is far from satisfactory, but will respond politely to say that

It is only a spare part I need at the end of the day o_O
Oh dear, not very sympathetic or helpful, contact another dealer about a part purchased from TW:LOL:

Martin

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That reply seems pretty poor to me, they would much prefer you go bother some other dealer.
As you say it's only a spare part. The system change sound s like nonsense to me.
Good luck in sorting out

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have queried her reply, to see if they can't even order a part till after Easter or take issue with Hymer until after Easter

Although we don't drive in the dark I am not sure how legal it would be to drive round with the headlight like it is

@Robert Clark the trouble with longevity will be proving it isn't a stone chip, Hymer seem to be in denial about the shattering being their problem, but if they say again, like they did with my first light that it's a stone chip, no idea how to prove otherwise, although I know and most of you will agree it is not likely. The front of the glass is totally smooth other than slight ridges where it has crazed

I have taken TW's suggestion as well though and emailed a dealer in the Irish Republic for prices (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi David, as your now on the FB hog group, message -Andrew Thompson- at TW and ask him about it, he seems to be helpful.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It might be worth calling Chris Davies at Reliance Caravan and Motorhome Services on 01243 940050, he has been called the Parts Guru elsewhere on this site. Until recently he worked for Premier Motorhomes and probably knows more about sourcing Hymer parts than anyone else. I don’t know if he has direct access to Hymer spares any longer but he is the type of person who likes to be helpful. At the very least he is likely to know who to contact, which buttons to press and whether Hymer have ever conceded a claim.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Email one of the European hymer dealers and see what they charge.

does yours have a Bi Xenon headlight

I should say did have, and was yours LHD? that would make buying abroad a bit easier I think

I have emailed an Irish dealer to see how their price compares with them driving on the left (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 Have you thought about asking Chris Davies at Reliance?

It might be worth calling Chris Davies at Reliance Caravan and Motorhome Services on 01243 940050, he has been called the Parts Guru elsewhere on this site. Until recently he worked for Premier Motorhomes and probably knows more about sourcing Hymer parts than anyone else. I don’t know if he has direct access to Hymer spares any longer but he is the type of person who likes to be helpful. At the very least he is likely to know who to contact, which buttons to press and whether Hymer have ever conceded a claim.

just had a nice chat with Chris, what a refreshing change to speak to someone who genuinely sounds like he wants to help

photos and details being emailed between us now (y)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
@DavidG58 Well my correct head light was supposedly ordered last Wednesday to arrive this week I have just rang the local place who is fitting it (insurance) and they are chasing it up this afternoon.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have been looking through several posts about the headlight problem, both here and on HOG facebook. There are many opinions about the cause but the one that rings likeliest with me is the unit is being stressed by the way it is fitted.
I haven’t been able to visit my Hymer to check but from pictures and suggestions given one area of concern is the 3 top retaining screws. The bottom of the unit is hinged and seems to be an unlikely candidate. One of the 3 top screws is apparently adjustable. Some people suggest winding this in completely before tightening the other 2 screws but surely this is going to affect the aim of the headlight, possibly leaving it pointing skywards. Is it not more likely that the adjustment should be left where it is and this screw tightened gently first. The other 2 screws can then be taken in gently to make a very light contact, sufficient only to avoid movement and rattles. I believe the screws go into nylon mounts that should be enough to stop them shaking loose without screwing them in hard. Is the problem perhaps that someone has tightened the outer screws to force the headlight unit into a flush fit and that this might not have been how they were designed?
I am no expert and this is an armchair observation but I can’t help thinking that with only one screw adjustable the others aren’t meant to be used to close up the gap. Views?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi @DavidG58 have you called the ins co ? If you do /did you would prob have to say stone chip :D2

I wouldn't bother with insurance for £1500, not worth the knock on aggravations

I am also slightly concerned about the fixings, I changed all of mine to stainless steel bolts with nylon nuts due to corrosion, but do not recall seeing the adjuster that has been mentioned before and described above by @GWAYGWAY

I am just going to have to bite the bullet and change it again out of my pocket I reckon

Headlight price from Lowdhams £1582.80 supply only

Just been told the sink top is no longer available as well, but the worktop which also cracked is in stock for £1660 + VAT, Hymer truly do not care about customers at all, that sink top made from toughened glass is going to break by accident, no longer offering a spare is criminal. It was still being fitted new 2 years ago as far as I can tell

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Although we don't drive in the dark I am not sure how legal it would be to drive round with the headlight like it is

David, i was at vanbitz having my alarm fitted when I noticed my headlight was broken, so obviously had quite a trek to get back home.
Fortunately Eddie was able to provide a clear gaffer type tape for use on glass, which I used to cover the shattered glass.
I took advice on this from a couple of mot testers, who said that provided the pattern of the beam wasn't affected, and that the glass was not unsafe/causing a hazard then it would not fail mot.
It was damaged in June, I finally fitted the new headlight in January.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
looks like TW really don't want my business

Good afternoon Mr Godfrey

I became aware that earlier this week you contacted Travelworld in order to book your motorhome in to our workshop for a replacement headlamp unit to be fitted.

Considering the strong wording of several forum postings recently I am surprised that you now want Travelworld to work on your vehicle as you made it clear to the HOG that “Travelworld made a complete Horlicks of fitting the last one that went, will not be trusting them to do it this time”.

There are two other Hymer dealers nearer your home address than Travelworld so I am intrigued to know why you would contact Travelworld (the dealer you won’t be “trusting this time”) to book the vehicle in and perform the repairs?

I think under the circumstances, it would be preferable if you have the headlamp fitted elsewhere in order to avoid any embarrassment and/or potential conflict as I am sure you wouldn’t wish to be recognised by an HOG member whilst you are onsite.

Kind regards

Erik Baxendale AffIMI

Operations Manager

Travel Cruiser Concessionaires Ltd

T/A Travelworld Motorhomes

Halesfield 14

Telford, TF7 4QR

Tel: 01952 586 888

I have replied, but think this will be the end of any dealings I have with TW, just hope they stop sending the advertising emails now :)

Good afternoon Mr Baxendale

You have been misinformed, my first approach to TW was by email earlier this week asking for support on a repeat failure of a product bought from yourselves, with a probability that I would need a new one ordering. It was never my intention to let your company fit it again, given the mess you made of the last fitting

It was handed back not fitted correctly, with one bulb LED one halogen and the adjuster for the self levelling not even connected, I think ‘a complete Horlicks’ is flattering

I have plenty of photographs to confirm this workmanship if you would like to be reminded

Given this rather harsh reaction to customer support, I will take note and revise my purchasing options, you do however remain the retailer of the faulty product, you have a moral obligation in my view to support that and quite possibly even a legal obligation

I don’t fully understand the comment about being recognised as a HOG member, it sounds slightly threatening but I presume you do not mean it that way

David Godfrey

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back