XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
My Hymer has just failed the MOT on poor light output from the dipped beam headlights. The lamps have been removed and were clear but someone in the past has fitted 100W lamps which aren't street legal for a start and it looks like they have burnt the back of the reflector causing the poor output. This means I need to replace the complete headlights but I am having a right job locating a pair as Hella say they are obsolete and no longer have any in stock as do most motor factors. I found one on Amazon and have ordered it but I am not confident it will turn up as it looks like it was being supplied by Hella. Brownhills have one at a staggering £173!! Has anybody with similar A class MH's changed their 124mm dipped beam units for the Hella 90mm units which are still available? I have seen one Hymer similar to mine which has smaller lamps with a stainless surround fitted to fill the hole in the front bodywork but not sure of how much work is involved or where the kit and surround can be supplied from. Van is a Yr 2000 680 Starline on a Merc chassis.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
plenty of suitable lights on ebay usually

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
no solution, but be grateful it is the round light, the thread title sent a shiver down my back recalling the £1500+ bill I got for changing my teardrop light unit, then all the aggro TW gave me with poor service :(:(

best of luck with yours (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
XRN

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
I have had a message from Amazon saying the one I bought has been despatched so I await in hope that it is the right part. There is also one (the last one) put aside for me by the garage to fit when it arrives. So hopefully I am sorted, I will update the post when it is all fixed. Thanks to all for the help so far.

I spotted these on ebay after I had ordered from Amazon so will keep as a backup thanks @airwave

Would this solve your problem:

I think it is the glass dome that has been discoloured but a useful link I will keep for the future for my classic car. Thanks @Xabia

These are the 90mm alternatives I mentioned so wouldn't fit current brackets but a good upgrade, thanks @TheBig1

OP
OP
XRN

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
2 new headlights fitted and MOT passed today. The old ones looked like they had been on fire inside as all the plastic had melted and the reflector blackened. Don't put 100W lamps in your headlights! (It wasn't me that did that by the way).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back