Hymer headlight and search facility (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
:LOL:
I know you are t aking the easy option, but £78 to undo a couple of scews an change over the conectors is taking t he mick.

not if they drop it it isn't :LOL:

and money really well spent if I drop it :D

plus the bulbs have to be swapped over including the Bi Xenon which scares me enough to pay £78 on its own :)

anyway, booked now, I do have the luxury of offsetting it against tax through the business, so VAT back, then 50% or near as damn it of the balance in Tax and NI, they are doing for not a lot at the end of the day (sort of)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I know you are t aking the easy option, but £78 to undo a couple of scews an change over the conectors is taking t he mick.

Think I might now be pleased to have had TW do it, series of odd events but I summarise below

The fitting took nearly 2 hours not the book 45 minutes, the fitting charge was still as quoted, when I went out to drive away I found a pile of bulbs on passenger seat, turns out the new unit comes preloaded with new bulbs, not really sure why, but might account for some of the cost, not really sure quite how the Bi Xenon bit works (are they bulbs?)

Anyway distracted by finding the bulbs, got the fitter back out to refit my LED DRL as they hadn't even noticed the marked difference from side to side, that distraction also stopped me looking too closely at the new unit

Arrived at Chester, a few funster friends and interested parties gathered to ask about my recent issues, told them just been to TW but didn't really dare look at front to see if light has broken again, so Martin @funflair volunteered, 5 seconds later says it is not broken, but is there some trim missing?

IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG

no trim missing, but as far as we can see probably a slightly different light unit, not really possible to tell without having the original now, but at the top of the unit there appears to be a slightly bulbous section that does not fit into the corresponding slot in the body work

We actually removed the light unit, there appears to be a blue plastic fitting inside the 'extra' piece that cant be accessed so has no obvious function, the nearside light doesn't have it nor do the other three Hymers at Chester with the same lights

Couple of 'excuses' come to mind, they have simply been sent the wrong light, maybe from a LHD unit perhaps, or the light unit has been changed since mine was built

Managed to stop @Terry 'solving' the problem with cordless grinder he had in his hand, put it back together slightly better than TW did but still nowhere near right

Rang TW spoke to the service manager who said email him a photo and he would call back, I did my bit, it was 16:45 in fairness, but my interpretation of what he had said was that he was going to call me back then, not some random point in the future

No idea where it will go now, Hymer will no doubt claim it is the right light for my model, like they insisted with a clock that physically doesn't go in the hole, but they are adamant it does

I will not accept this as 'right' but no idea what will happen, but you lot will be second to hear about it

Travel World could just become the new Barclays, but at least it would be motorhome related :)(y):mad:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Travel World are beginning to sound like the new Broonfools (Newark). :(

@DavidG58. You didn't take up the offer of my sledge hammer David. ;) How is the locker floor looking, after all that rain you drove through yesterday?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
One thing that puts me off hymer is the exploding headlights! You would think by now they would change to normal cheaper units like Carthago that actually look nicer then these monstrosities. ...:(

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
One thing that puts me off hymer is the exploding headlights! You would think by now they would change to normal cheaper units like Carthago that actually look nicer then these monstrosities. ...:(

Although inclined to agree, there are a few hundred of driving round with these and pretty much stuck with them, even if I sell it, somebody else will still have the same issue

But I do promise not to sell mine to a funster :), except @Terry maybe, he can refit it inside and out (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not surprisingly Travelworld want it back to look at, an email in today first thing has at least offered some apology for sending it out like that, but it is 150 mile round trip and best bit of a day, I don't really mind giving up my time as much as I begrudge the cost of the fuel

My biggest fear is that between TW and Hymer they are trying to fit the wrong light unit, so another trip will be needed and tomorrow will be just for them to look although they think they can realign it

Having had it looked at by Terry the only option for it fitting would involve modification, so we will see, am I entitled to claim the cost of the fuel at least?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
David,

I would insist that my fuel cost, (at least) were met, as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience experienced.

Good luck,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I went back to TW last week, they refitted the light with masses of apologies for the poor job done first time, then invited me to inspect the work

I am really not at all happy, these 2 photos show the refitted light and my email to TW explains my issues

Hymer seem disappointingly unable to accept that it might be wrong, implying it is exactly the same as the original

IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1620.JPG

Hello Erik

This reply seems so typical of Hymer, but not knowing for sure what you sent them let me try again

My issue, and I thought yours, was the light colour of the plastic down the side highlighting the gap and the fitting

The bulge towards the top of the fitting, which is not on my offside light, and wasn’t on any of the Hymers (3 others all similar age to mine) I looked at while at Chester, I still feel that bulge stops the light fitting back into the body properly making the gap slightly larger and the light coloured plastic area more visible

I am also seriously concerned that the light is now pinched up against the body work making a fracture of the glass much more likely than it was before

The attached photo (from Hymer) doesn’t show the side of the light, or really the top either, I can only think they have not really grasped the issue, hopefully my photos attached will make it clearer

I own a flagship model Hymer, costing new well over £100,000 when new, and still £80K when bought second hand, I am not at all happy that the headlight broke, not happy that Hymer would not cover it as a known problem, not happy that a light fitting can ever be worth so much money, and most importantly not happy that my Hymer now looks bad due to a poorly made Hymer component that I have paid a small fortune to have fitted, which is definitely different the original

I am really disappointed and not prepared to accept this as the finished job

David Godfrey

Sent: 05 April 2016 14:55
To:dg@kestrelenv.co.uk
Subject: Hymer headlamp

Good afternoon Mr Godfrey

Hymer have responded to my email last week including a photo of a vehicle they presently have at the factory (attached), they also said the following:

Hello Erik, and you think that it is the Headlight himself or is something wrong at the Motorhome?

Because since 2007 until 2016 we build in the same exactly the same Headlights.

So an new Headlight from stock should fit perfectly.

No problems are known

Best regards

Hymer GmbH & Co. KG

Please will you let me know your thoughts on the issue.

Kind regards

Erik Baxendale

Service Centre Manager

Travel Cruiser Concessionaires Ltd

T/A Travelworld Motorhomes

Halesfield 14

Telford, TF7 4QR

Tel: 01952 586 888

Web Site: www.motorhomes.co.uk

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Travelworld-Motorhomes/187266951482113

HYmer light photo.jpg

this photo was sent by Hymer, not really sure what they were trying to show, but it doesn't actually look the same as mine

I have got quite cross about this, the cost was absurd, the refusal of a warranty claim disappointing, the poor fitting a farce, as ever it is muggins here who has not only paid a massive bill, but is now left with a poor result, it just doesn't seem right

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

We just happen to be parked opposite a friends Hymer Starline 2010 model so have given it a good looking at, they have the same headlight as you have as a replacement i.e they have the little bulge at the top outside edge. I think you might find that the cream colour sealant gets dirty and blends in. But it looks like they have not altered the bodywork to accept the bump that you now have but didn't before so the light possibly doesn't fit properly yet, the potential problem is if the bump on the light is hard up against the bodywork and they have screwed it up tight it could stress the light "and you don't want that".

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Had an email reply from TW this afternoon, reminding that Hymer only have one person dealing with these issues in Germany, quite why I needed reminding when I didn't even know, telling me these sort of queries can take weeks to answer at busy times

So glad Hymer take it seriously o_O

But TW do have a solution, if I take my MH back to them they will remove the headlight and give me a full refund

That will do it, lets write it off as a bad job Oh Please! TW :mad:

Not even sure I can legally drive it without a light fitted, but hardly a realistic option, I have pointed out to TW that I see it as a Hymer issue, I guess they see Hymer as a more important link for them as me as only a potential new customer

Going for a look at Premium Motorhomes this weekend, see what Carthago have to offer (y)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I hate bad service. I would be looking to find the details of the chief exec of Hymer and write him/her a letter ( not an email) addressed to them personally.
I would be outlining your issue, as you have done on this thread, and the service provided to solve your problem along with the final solution proposed by TW.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I hate bad service.

So do I, as maybe you can tell, the trouble is now as a nation we don't complain about what we should, the service provider seems to think they can just shrug it off, yet claim in this instance to be proud of their customer service level

Apparently the suggestion to remove was a reaction to my proposal to use Barclaycard if needed to help me sort out the problem

Hymer chief exec is a great idea, havent written a letter for years (y)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hymer chief exec is a great idea, havent written a letter for years (y)

It's quite cathartic putting pen to paper :) , only ever write to top person when I complain. Not that I make a habit of complaining.....:whistle:.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David

We just happen to be parked opposite a friends Hymer Starline 2010 model so have given it a good looking at, they have the same headlight as you have as a replacement i.e they have the little bulge at the top outside edge. I think you might find that the cream colour sealant gets dirty and blends in. But it looks like they have not altered the bodywork to accept the bump that you now have but didn't before so the light possibly doesn't fit properly yet, the potential problem is if the bump on the light is hard up against the bodywork and they have screwed it up tight it could stress the light "and you don't want that".

Martin

Thanks Martin

I presume their Starline also has a corresponding cut out for said bulge, unlike mine which is now worryingly pinned against the bodywork :(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin

I presume their Starline also has a corresponding cut out for said bulge, unlike mine which is now worryingly pinned against the bodywork :(

Yes theirs is, but it's not easy to see as it fits quite well, the headlight should be clear of the bodywork to avoid stressing it, should have let @Terry at it with the angle grinder:LOL:

I would get you a photo but for some reason he doesn't want me to take his headlight out:eek:

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I suspect it might get sorted at Falkirk, that is if I haven't bought that Carthago :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
to add the finishing touch to this thread as well

frustratingly it took a fellow funster to make the light fit

before and after

IMG_1622.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG

thank you very much Terry

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

sorted in under an hour o_O and with milky coffee provided by fitter :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back