Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Strange wobbly vibrations when braking lightly when warm...

Fine when cold...

After pressing down really hard on the brake pedal all seemed alright for a little while...

Was getting worse on the Marjal trip...

This coming weekend we have two shows to do in the Algarve... Portimao on Saturday and Vila Real on Sunday and so I decide to say "to hell with the cost" I am going down in the Hymer and having a mini, working holiday break... better get the brake pads checked first though...

Am in the "hospital" as I write this...

A thought strikes me... I suddenly remembered I had put some emergency cash in my safe before Marjal... had I spent it?

How much was it?

I looked half an hour ago... €100 !!

Well happy...

The brake pads come off... loads of wear left but the edges have all broken up (at least four years old)... the boss goes off with them to his parts supplier...

Returns an hour later looking sad... could only get top priced Ferrodo pads... €100 fitted... did I want them...

Only the best for the Hymer...

You win some... you lose some... ying and yang hey?

I am off to the Algarve... more later... if you want...

JJ :Cool:

PS. I wonder how much it would have been in Sennybridge...

Attachments

• Hymer in Hospital.jpg
    Hymer in Hospital.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Check brake pads.jpg
    Check brake pads.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 99
  • New but Expensive.jpg
    New but Expensive.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 127
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi JJ:thumb:

I've seen some interesting pads before but never in that condition:Eeek:

Have fun:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it would surprise me if there wasnt damage to the discs with the pads in that state, so you may still get "wobble" whilst braking

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have seen pads that break up like that before they were cheap Chinese copies of a well known brake pad manufacturer these are often sold on places like Ebay and markets etc

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Ferodo.....

Wasn't he in The Lord of the Rings?

Branching out into brake pads now...times must be hard up Bag End

:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well it looks like the Hymer is getting better JJ :thumb: let us know if she needs new discs :winky:
terry

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Clever Funsters (some of you anyway)... As I suspected it looks as though the discs need a little skimming...

I am, however, on my way and the "wiggly wobble" seems much less but is no doubt starting to wear the very expensive pads off plonk a little... Next week will have to go back to hospital... not much of a waiting list but no NHS either...

Just stopped for a snack outside the bull ring in Coruche...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
boy they looked bad

Clever Funsters (some of you anyway)... As I suspected it looks as though the discs need a little skimming...

I am, however, on my way and the "wiggly wobble" seems much less but is no doubt starting to wear the very expensive pads off plonk a little... Next week will have to go back to hospital... not much of a waiting list but no NHS either...

Just stopped for a snack outside the bull ring in Coruche...

Boy they looked bad... as they say the rota's will need to be skimmed or the new pads will suffer.

I had mine all removed up at Duncan's - Star Spangled Spanner... Vic worked on the RV all day.. he had the pads out and they still looked new despite 18k on the clock. I do carry spare front and rear pads in the RV at all times just in case. As many RV owners know if you leave an RV sitting over the winter the pads can crumble and fail... I do take the RV out when not on SORN.... but they were still good and a little grease on the slides and the back of the metal of the pads and they were popped back in to the callipers and we were all set for another year. I do check the pad wear on a regular basis... I would not want to risk the hefty bill that Gary of TOFFSRV had in Switzerland last year when he had a calliper stick on... bad news... proper checks and adjustments are essential on motorhomes of all sorts. I like to hang on to my money as much as the next person. But I do prefer to pay and have the important parts kept in good order as much as buying toys fro the RV.

All said and done.. if you do not have a motor or brakes, what have you got left with?

But JJ would certainly get the rotors checked soon otherwise the new pads will suffer and you will end up buying new ones of them again.

Bob

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi JJ, I hope the hospital trips are for minor ailments and nothing major either way get well real soon.......get the discs skimmed if you have enough meat left on them then you will get the full life out of your new pads.......and have a comfy brake....the old pads look like a combination of cheap pads and heat....the new ones should not suffer the same.

Get well soon missed you at the meets.

All the best Rick

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The brake pads crumbling is nothing to do with inferior parts or chinese whatever, it is simply a "feature" of sleapy motorhome syndrome. I can't actually remember the last time I changed pads because they were worn ou but I've lost count of the number of pads I've changed becuase of crumbling friction material. From your photos its difficult to judge the condition of the discs accurately so I can't offer any sensible advice on those other thn to say there is likely to be limited scope for skimming.

D.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Doh brain and dangerous come into mind :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sudda learned ow to reed at skool :RollEyes: :RollEyes: :RollEyes:

All the best Rick.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am with Dave Newells diognosis too. How long since they were changed JJ ?.
Also that 660 did an awfull lot of sleeping until recently when a little lady came bye.:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bloody hell JJ !!
What chassis is that on ?
EBC or Ferodo for my 2007 boxer are £26.91 for all four on the front

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Bloody hell JJ !!
What chassis is that on ?
EBC or Ferodo for my 2007 boxer are £26.91 for all four on the front
Merc mate:winky: and he has to help out the Porky euro:ROFLMAO:.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Am with Dave Newells diognosis too. How long since they were changed JJ ?.
Also that 660 did an awfull lot of sleeping until recently when a little lady came bye.:winky:

:Blush::Blush::Blush: I knew I had put a lot of weight on ..... But that much!!!! :Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Bye the way JJ............Love the new avitor.....you old softy.:Smile:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
JJ I am with Dave N on skimming, not really worth it as you need every gram of metal to dissipate heat and have obviously lost a lot from the disc already.

Here's a link to a pair of discs from Brembo, absolutely top quality OE brake manufacturer, only £76 the pair plus shipping. This is just a first look and I bet I could do better on price if I tried.
These are sold by AP who are/were held in the highest regard for brake supplies, only sold the very best.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Front-Brembo-Brake-Discs-407D-409D-410D/dp/B004EAXAQ8[/ame]

Hope this helps

J

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
... or even better

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Front-Brembo-Brake-Discs-407D-409D-410D/dp/B004EAZF70/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1336001993&sr=1-2-fkmr1[/ame]

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
The price difference above is due to disc thickness for your model, 16mm or 22mm, both are solid discs.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I,m in the "dont skim e'm camp" as well, no point, you are accelarating their demise, and new good ones are not that dear either,....if it becomes a problem, I am sure a set could be shipped out for you at a reasonable cost.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am sure the "don't skim" group are right in many, many respects and, if indeed it is possible to source new ones at a reasonable price I might do so, but I very much support the Portuguese way of keeping things going... repairing rather than replacing and given that they do so much of this there are still the people with the knowledge and equipment to do it...

So... I expect I will see about the price of skimming versus replacing and move forward from there... skimming now and replacing later is quite possible too...

When the Chief Mechanic in Sennybridge finds brand new discs for 14p and a pint of lager with free delivery I will go that route...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

PS. I am delighted to report to any seasoned Portugal touring, off-site Funsters that the Vodafone data signal at Pego do Altar is now 3g and working well. I never use to stay here that long because my internet was so slow and unreliable... of course you can still go to Rui's Bar/Restaurant and use the free wi-fi (on the days he chooses to open...)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back