Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

Before heading off to Spain at the end of Feb our 2002 Hymer B544 Fiat Ducato 2.8 is in for a service. Its now covered a total 0f 55000 miles on the clock and I'm wondering about the clutch. I don't really want to be asking the service centre to check it out...licence for them to spend my hard earned!

There is no sign of any slippage or odd clutch noises, the bite is at about 2/3rds up, normal for these?

Cheers Dave

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
I can do 200, 000 on a clutch.....I drove a lorry for years on same on same clutch,,another driver,,identical lorry used 3 clutches a year
Anyway,,I test a clutch by putting handbrake on ,,select top gear ,,try to pull away ,gently going up to half throttle
If the engine is going to stall,there is not much wrong with your clutch

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There isn't any test a service centre can do to check a clutch other than the one outlined by john kyte. Pedal travel isn't a reliable indicator. I suspect your clutch is hydraulic & auto adjusting anyway. Another test is to travel at around peak torque rpm (probably around 2000rpm) in top gear. Press the accelerator to the floor & keep it there then fully dip & release the clutch. There should be no sign of slipping or delay in fully taking up the drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back