Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
After a fair amount of research the above van is our current choice. If any one could give us some advice we would be most grateful.

We have tried finding one for sale and cannot find one. Presumably we would have to just order one?
Has anyone had problems with this motorhome?
Tyne Valley MHs would seem to be one of the closest dealers as we live in Cumbria, again has anyone dealt with them on here?

Sorry if these questions have been answered but we are sinking our life's savings into it and want to get it right.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Trouble is, until you start using any motor home you don't know if it's the right one for you. You could see if there is one at a European dealer and drive over to take a look in the flesh so to speak.
Horses for courses.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a Exsis i678, been pleased with it had it for nearly 3 years, have a B678DL due in March.
Kitchen area is small and the big drawers a bit of a pain. Also TV bracket can be a right pain in the arse.
I would go for one on the maxi chassis as due to long overhang and position of water tank, rear axle loading can be a problem on the light chassis.

If you want to pay a sensible price buy from Belgium or Germany I wouldn't consider buying a Hymer in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just had a shuftie at the above link ... don't know how you wash your hands in the washroom as the tap doesn't appear to go over the drop down sink?????

OP
OP
Fellraven

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
We have a Exsis i678, been pleased with it had it for nearly 3 years, have a B678DL due in March.
Kitchen area is small and the big drawers a bit of a pain. Also TV bracket can be a right pain in the arse.
I would go for one on the maxi chassis as due to long overhang and position of water tank, rear axle loading can be a problem on the light chassis.

If you want to pay a sensible price buy from Belgium or Germany I wouldn't consider buying a Hymer in the UK.
Hi Lenny HB. One of the reasons for the choice of van was the apparently good payload. How much stuff can you get in the garage before axle loading is a problem?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have an Exsis i578, we have had it just over 12 months, bought in Belgium, we are really pleased with it.

I would second what Lenny HB says about buying it abroad or at least contacting dealers in Belgium or Germany.

I know it depends on how much you carry in terms of payload but we find it fine. We have weighed ours, it has a good amount of extras ( satellite, awning, tv, 2nd leisure battery) and we are outdoors people carrying bikes etc. Loaded up with all our gear plus diesel, water etc we weighed in at about 3300.

I would imagine the 474 might
be lighter as it has a smaller bathroom and is shorter.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We imported a Hymer Exsis i698 last year on a maxi chassis GVW 4250 works really well for us had tow bar fitted to enable trailer towing we can load for 4 month trip to Spain with two dogs full fresh water tank full twin 11kg Gas refillables and fuel tank. Weighs in at 4000 kg and can go up to 6000 kg gross train.
We also have 85cm sat dish,solar panel and two leisure batteries and wind out awning and 150 bhp engine and spare wheel.EP Levellers and VB rear air.
Love it

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny HB. One of the reasons for the choice of van was the apparently good payload. How much stuff can you get in the garage before axle loading is a problem?
We gave up trying to run at 3500kg and uprated to 3850 still always on the limit on the rear axle.
We carry 2 e- bikes about 42kg without batteries(keep batteries towards front of van). A couple of chairs and table, spare wheel, probably 10-20kg of other stuff and 2x 20Lt water containers (40kg). Our gas cylinders are aluminium as that saves a bit.
The reason for the water containers is the Exsis has a silly little 100 Lt water tank.
Ordered the next van on a 4500 kg chassis fed up with having to watch the weigh.

You may fair better with the 474 as it is a bit lighter and a bit shorter.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
fellraven,

I bought my present van Hymer 584, 2006 model from Tyne Valley Motorhomes three years ago.
Their after sales was pathetic, one problem particularly annoyed me. I paid for an additional leisure battery to be fitted, it caused a lot of problems with the vans control panel more especially after later fitment of a solar panel, which was not carried out by TVM.
I eventually took the van somewhere else who discovered it had been incorrectly wired up with thin cabling. Soon after buying the van I had to fabricate a bracket to retain the battery because no attempt had been made to secure it inside the locker.
A cupboard they removed in the washroom to fix a water leak was replaced upside down. There was one good result from the hassle though as apart from electrical work I realized that I can do better myself.
Their valet of the van consisted of a spray of tyre black, they may have improved over the past three years though.

Norman.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I know it depends on how much you carry in terms of payload but we find it fine. We have weighed ours, it has a good amount of extras ( satellite, awning, tv, 2nd leisure battery) and we are outdoors people carrying bikes etc. Loaded up with all our gear plus diesel, water etc we weighed in at about 3300.
How do you manage that, we don't even have an awning. I know your van is a bit smaller and lighter but compared to some we travel fairly light.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_2017-01-04-20-05-07.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What doesn't help the weight balance is that the Exsis is quite light at the front end around 1630-1650kg on the front axle fully laden, most vans of this class are about 100kg heavier on the front axle.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What doesn't help the weight balance is that the Exsis is quite light at the front end around 1630-1650kg on the front axle fully laden, most vans of this class are about 100kg heavier on the front axle.
Quite agree @Lenny HB it's quite hard to load front axle as not a lot of storeage up front is there.weve had EP system fitted but surprisingly light thought that would add considerably to front end but we seem to be able to load evenly and stay within our limits.

Last edited:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
How do you manage that, we don't even have an awning. I know your van is a bit smaller and lighter but compared to some we travel fairly light.

Coming from a panel van conversion we do pack fairly light. Bikes are probably only 10kg each.

The 578 is a bit shorter and lighter than yours, and although we have a few extras we do have alloy wheels, alu gas tanks, no spare, no oven/tech tower and no GfK roof. Perhaps the shorter wheelbase makes a difference too?

We checked the weight as 3300 - full of gas and stuff for a 6 week trip, but only one person on board and 3/4 tank of water. Two up fully laden were probably 3450 max.

We have the optional 16in wheels so the real physical chassis capability is 3850, though downplated by Hymer to 3500. Axle allowances are 1850 in the front and 2000 back. We're well under on both (about 250 spare on each.).

Our view is that even if we load up with booze coming home there's no way we would physically overload any axle and even if we go slightly over 3500 the chassis can cope and we can just empty the water tank if stopped:)

Having said all that, I would be tempted by the maxi chassis next time to get the bigger brakes and stronger front springs - despite the std Exsis-i upgraded front springs our van has developed an increasing nose down stance over time.

OP
OP
Fellraven

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
Thank you for all the replies. Does anyone know how much the maxi chasis costs as I cannot find it on the Hymer site.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Looking at the 2017 price list it looks like it's £1110.

I'd also mention that if you are looking to add extras like tv,satdish and satnav, and can put up with the layout of the 578 (which is basically 20cm longer with a different bathroom and bigger fridge), then they are still making the "Experience" model which will save you a lot of money. It worked for us:)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Coming from a panel van conversion we do pack fairly light. Bikes are probably only 10kg each.

The 578 is a bit shorter and lighter than yours, and although we have a few extras we do have alloy wheels, alu gas tanks, no spare, no oven/tech tower and no GfK roof. Perhaps the shorter wheelbase makes a difference too?

We checked the weight as 3300 - full of gas and stuff for a 6 week trip, but only one person on board and 3/4 tank of water. Two up fully laden were probably 3450 max.

We have the optional 16in wheels so the real physical chassis capability is 3850, though downplated by Hymer to 3500. Axle allowances are 1850 in the front and 2000 back. We're well under on both (about 250 spare on each.).

Our view is that even if we load up with booze coming home there's no way we would physically overload any axle and even if we go slightly over 3500 the chassis can cope and we can just empty the water tank if stopped:)

Having said all that, I would be tempted by the maxi chassis next time to get the bigger brakes and stronger front springs - despite the std Exsis-i upgraded front springs our van has developed an increasing nose down stance over time.
Our Technical mass (MIRO with factory fitted extras ) is 3150kg, do have the GRP roof but no awning.
Our running weights fully loaded are, front 1650kg, rear 1980 - 2030kg. We could run at 3500 without full tanks but we rarely use sites so like full tanks and extra water on board.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We could run at 3500 without full tanks but we rarely use sites so like full tanks and extra water on board.

Sorry for hijacking @Fellraven thread.

@Lenny HB
We dont use sites much either so like full water tanks too - despite the Hymer instructions to only carry 20l :) We dont carry extra though.

Just looking at the base MIRO for our vans yours is 120kg heavier than us. I suspect our alloy wheels and no GRP roof counter the weight of our awning to some extent. Add the extra 60k for your bikes, 40kg of water and 30kg spare wheel then you've got to be looking at knocking on for 250kg difference - which I think is enough to put us the right side of 3500 and you the wrong side:-(

I should say though that if we were closer we would happily uprate to 3850 though - I think it's just a paper exercise on these vans if you have the 16in wheel option.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Don't think wheel side comes into it we only have 15" wheels and uprated to 3850 some models you can only take up to 3700.
GRP roof is 30kg, alloys save 5kg, awning approx 10kg/metre.
We only gained 150kg due to rear axle loading.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As Lenny says, the wheel size doesn't make a difference usually, its the actual chassis its built on that matters as that's what will determine the maximum it can go up to. We've now got a PVC on the Fiat Maxi heavy chassis and I must say it is a better drive than the light chassis of our previous PVC and we were able to uprate to 4250kg as a paper exercise.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Did an enquiry to find out if we were able to uprate our 4250kg maxi and was able to get 4500 however chose not to as we tow a car trailer and it would have reduced the train weight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back