Hymer Exsis-I rear bumper removal - how to guide with pictures. (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Here you go … a fascinating guide to rear bumper removal. Not the most thrilling read, but hey, it might be useful for someone..

Following a ‘scuff and run’ in Cornwall last year I’ve been meaning to get the bumper repaired. It’s only a scuff with no structural damage to the bumper itself.

scuff.jpg

I've had a couple of quotes including one for a new bumper and fitting at nearly £3,000 ! - and two different bodyshop quotes of £400 and £500.

I did similar damage to VW Polo a year or so ago and that cost me £120 at the local car bodyshop so, I went back them. They said they’d do it for £120 as long as I took the bumper in to them as the Hymer is too big to get into their unit.

So, I went over to the storage yard this afternoon expecting a reasonable amount of hassle to get the bumper off but it actually only took about 30 minutes.

So if you need to do the same - this is how it goes:

Remove the rear light clusters - two torx screws in each ...

Light Cluster.jpg

Unclip the rear light units from the wiring harness..

harness.jpg

Undo three crosshead screws underneath the van...

underneath.jpg

Undo two cross-head screws accessed from inside the rear garage in the rear corners...

inside.jpg

Undo five torx screws each side of bumper ...

rear bolts.jpg

Remove number plate and in recess behind undo two further torx screws ...

number plate.jpg

Lift bumper up to disengage it from the cross-rail and disconnect any other wiring.

crossrail.jpg

Place bumper in suitable long estate car and take to bodyshop....

estate car.jpg

Leave your Hymer looking rather naked without rear bumper....

off.jpg

The next thrilling episode of this post will be along in a few days time. This will cover - “how to carefully refit your freshly repainted bumper”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Bumper collected yesterday and was ready to put back on. I then noticed that one of the fixing plastic reinforcements was loose so quick trip to Toolstation for some heavy duty superglue and left to bond overnight.

IMG_3196.jpg

I went to the yard this morning to refit the bumper - had to be done then as I'd promised MrsAB a trip to Sainsbury's this afternoon - our first time in a supermarket for about 4 months.

As all good Haynes manual users will know, "refitting is the reverse of removal" - in this case it actually was, all the holes lined up and it went on with out any problems!

IMG_3214 2.jpg

All done - good as new!

So ... does the story end there? Well not quite ... remember to trip to Sainsbury's that I mentioned a few paragraphs back ....

Off we went in the "previously featured in this post" estate car and defensively parked in Sainsbury's car-park as usual.

Halfway round we get the tannoy call 'would the owner of ...... please come to the information desk'.

Turned out someone had revered into the car, damaged the rear right bumper ... and then driven off.

IMG_3217.jpg

So just for a few hours my fleet had no bumper damages ......

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Remind me not to park near you if our paths ever cross please 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Hey ... I'm the victim - its the scuff and run brigade you need to avoid... :smiley:

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
And to round off the boring bumper thread .... the scratch polished out of the car using my DA car polishing machine - what I thought were bits of my bumper were actually bits of the other car's. So bonus!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the bumper teardown. You never know when you might need that type of information. (y)

Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Here you go … a fascinating guide to rear bumper removal. Not the most thrilling read, but hey, it might be useful for someone..

Following a ‘scuff and run’ in Cornwall last year I’ve been meaning to get the bumper repaired. It’s only a scuff with no structural damage to the bumper itself.

View attachment 476713

I've had a couple of quotes including one for a new bumper and fitting at nearly £3,000 ! - and two different bodyshop quotes of £400 and £500.

I did similar damage to VW Polo a year or so ago and that cost me £120 at the local car bodyshop so, I went back them. They said they’d do it for £120 as long as I took the bumper in to them as the Hymer is too big to get into their unit.

So, I went over to the storage yard this afternoon expecting a reasonable amount of hassle to get the bumper off but it actually only took about 30 minutes.

So if you need to do the same - this is how it goes:

Remove the rear light clusters - two torx screws in each ...

View attachment 476716

Unclip the rear light units from the wiring harness..

View attachment 476717

Undo three crosshead screws underneath the van...

View attachment 476718

Undo two cross-head screws accessed from inside the rear garage in the rear corners...

View attachment 476719

Undo five torx screws each side of bumper ...

View attachment 476720

Remove number plate and in recess behind undo two further torx screws ...

View attachment 476721

Lift bumper up to disengage it from the cross-rail and disconnect any other wiring.

View attachment 476722

Place bumper in suitable long estate car and take to bodyshop....

View attachment 476724

Leave your Hymer looking rather naked without rear bumper....

View attachment 476725

The next thrilling episode of this post will be along in a few days time. This will cover - “how to carefully refit your freshly repainted bumper”.
This is very helpful I will have a go at my bumper once the weather picks up .

Apr 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Very useful, might help me with a need to remove bumper on Burstner to replace reversing sensors.

PeteChisholm

Free Member
Dec 6, 2023
Lydbrook, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC T690
Thanks for the information. I’m about to replace my rear light cluster so I need to do step 1 of your procedure. I have removed the two torx bolts and now the cluster is held at the side by a retaining clip. How did you release this please? Many thanks, Pete

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Thanks for the information. I’m about to replace my rear light cluster so I need to do step 1 of your procedure. I have removed the two torx bolts and now the cluster is held at the side by a retaining clip. How did you release this please? Many thanks, Pete
I can't remember doing anything other than removing the two screws for the light fitting then pulling the wiring connector apart. I don't have the Hymer any longer so I can't check it.

Maybe post up a picture and see if the collective have any ideas?

harness-2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back