Hymer Dynamic Line Water Ingress Issues (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Heads up for owners, been on a site in Spain for almost 4 weeks, yesterday decided to clean out the garage and was horrified to find mould and spongy panels at front of garage in small alcove on the offside as photos. Lifted the Hymer waterproof mat in garage and found it wet underneath on offside stretching across to the mid point. Moho is a 2017 registered model and the bottom of this alcove is about 5 inches above the garage floor. I posted a heads up on the fb Hymer Owners Group yesterday and another member checked his this morning and found an identical problem. Carried out investigation this morning but nothing defiante found to narrow it down, condensation, ingress from outside there do not appear to be any internal leaks in double floor. Obviously this is very worrying on a van not 2 years old.
A52AC068-23C9-4BA9-AC93-0CBF4B2707FC.jpeg
95AB6252-86EE-412A-A0FF-254005A64286.jpeg
AECD6759-EF3A-4AD1-A9C5-DE84EE41137E.jpeg

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
927D3364-A7EA-4B28-82E5-7218D4A2DDBB.jpeg
221F4787-B55F-48B9-A443-014FABAB6C56.jpeg
Further investigations today, emptied the underbed wardrobe immediately in front of the garage bulkhead. Nothing obvious the black object at top of photo is the plastic wheel arch, in right hand top of first photo behind the heat ducting pipe is the backside of the alcove, no obvious signs of damp, mould or distortion. There are what appears to be dried water runs across top of lower floor and rust spotting. The black pipes are kitchen sink and bathroom drains, water was run through both and no leaks. The other owner with identical damp areas in alcove found exactly the same down to the dried stains and rust spots. My guess is water ingress is on garage side but where from is the worry, as in previous post this alcove though adjacent to garage door is 5 inches above garage floor. Surely it cannot be a condensation issue?
927D3364-A7EA-4B28-82E5-7218D4A2DDBB.jpeg
221F4787-B55F-48B9-A443-014FABAB6C56.jpeg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Could it be rain water getting in via the garage door seals? I had this problem on my 2003 B Star-line. I only tracked it down by shutting myself in the garage and get my wife to direct a hose at and around the garage door. My solution was to add additional sealing around the door. I used rubber draught-proofing strip. So far, so good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Philip seems strange that bottom of alcove which is the top of the underfloor is 5 inches above the garage floor, the identical alcove on nearside is perfect. And to have another owner have an identical issue could it be a design problem? Thankfully it’s still within its warranty period.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My local repair man mentioned an issue with locker doors he had recently. This was on a couple of Chauson vans but could apply to others as many buy the same type of door.

The seal(s) on the door are a strip with a start and end making a loop. He found that the the door seal and the body seal had the loop in the same place. Allowing water to enter... Move one of the seals and issue solved.
May not be same but worth a look and noting..

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Our 2014 B544 had a leak and it turned out to be dry cracked sealant around the factory fitted cycle rack mounts. It came in there, ran down the rear panel, into and through the wardrobe, pooling on the lower rear locker floor. Re sealing around the cycle rack mounts sorted it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think @DavidG58 had a problem with leaky seals on garage door and sorted it before harm done.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
First job is to get in the garage though and get water sprayed onto the garage doors, that will rule that out firstly. Its very poor that regardless on such a new van.
Water damage is a killer no matter what make the van is.
It is my main worry when using the van.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think @DavidG58 had a problem with leaky seals on garage door and sorted it before harm done.

One of very few things mine hasn't suffered (y)

we did though have a flooded garage, our problem was a split in the filler tube to the water tank, bonkers design filler on near side tank on offside, so a 1m horizontal filler hose which gets air locked easily, not helpful to OP, but the split leaked in travel if we had tank 3/4 full or more where it slopped up the tube. New tube problem solved for us

We also had a loose top cap on same tank which allowed some water out, that was very easily fixed

It would be nice if it could be this simple, but my thought is the door seal o_O

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Very unlikely to be garage door seals (had that problem on our Exsis) the DL has two separate seals an inner and an outer on the garage doors.
Mine is 2017 I'll have a look in the morning.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Very unlikely to be garage door seals (had that problem on our Exsis) the DL has two separate seals an inner and an outer on the garage doors.
Mine is 2017 I'll have a look in the morning.

Same year Lenny as OP van so will be interesting to see if you have anything, I suspect not.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My trouble was the door was correct size but the door hole was 4 mm bigger at the bottom 1/3 allowing a lot of water passed the seal which did not actually touch the seal and the water just poured in. It involved cutting the sealant at the bottom removing the door frame clamps and physically moving the whole rear door frame to the front by 4mm. The bottom needed to be completely sealed again with a solid sikaseal filling like it was at the factory, It took me a day to do. The dealers were wanting it for 6 week and left there after driving the car and van up 340 mile for four trips No thanks then they said I had negated the whole warranty by doing it myself as against their EXPERTS..
I do not thin that on yours would be the door or seals so clean and dry all the surface and start from scratch spray water on the out side first, the watch it inside to see what happens if nothing is seen coning in then it is likely the water system leaking the water tank will leak it there is a bit of flashing from the moulding process around the cap. smooth everything and refit the cap firmly check all the hoseclips.
As it is less the two years it should go be to a dealer as it is a warranty job

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for this. I hope it's nothing serious and you get it sorted quickly. We'll check ours tomorrow, and report back.
When and where did you have your last damp check? Is it something which has occurred recently, or could it have been happening for a while?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Will be watching this post as we have a 2018 678DL I will check out the alcove tomorrow but have not noticed any damp so far (early days) but can’t see that the door seals would affect that area as it’s higher and there is about 100mm reveal to the alcove on ours.(n)(n)(n)

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Will be watching this post as we have a 2018 678DL I will check out the alcove tomorrow but have not noticed any damp so far (early days) but can’t see that the door seals would affect that area as it’s higher and there is about 100mm reveal to the alcove on ours.(n)(n)(n)
Same as mine Alan, but as mentioned we have been on site for 4 weeks here in Roses, Spain, in temperatures in mid twenties and earlier in month low thirties yet this area is still damp to the feel and the wetness under the garage mat, one would have thought they would have dried out

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks for this. I hope it's nothing serious and you get it sorted quickly. We'll check ours tomorrow, and report back.
When and where did you have your last damp check? Is it something which has occurred recently, or could it have been happening for a while?
Suspect from the spongy panelling it’s been happening over a while, I can actually press my finger into some areas. Last Hab and damp check (which is not a Hymer requirement carried out in January this year, haven’t the report with me so unable to verify if damp checks were taken in the area affected.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just a thought I notice that in 588 the fridge vents are closer to rear than on ours have you had a look in behind them could it be from that area?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just a thought I notice that in 588 the fridge vents are closer to rear than on ours have you had a look in behind them could it be from that area?

Good point, Alan!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You mention that there are what appears to be dried water runs across top of lower floor and rust spotting. Something must have happened to have caused that, especially as the other owner with identical damp areas in alcove found exactly the same down to the dried stains and rust spots.

Have you checked the wheel arch thoroughly? As the pipes don't leak, I would suspect water ingress through the arch. Did you drive through wet weather conditions to get to Spain? Looking at your photos it does appear that there is water staining coming from the corner of the black plastic housing on the arch.

Water finds the lowest level so, as its on a level higher than the main floor, I'd rule out leaking from the garage door.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I know you are away and of course want the source of the leak fixed - I am sure you have thought of this but register the issue with Hymer asap and get a main dealer to deal with it - under warranty presumably plus you don't want to do something that invalidates the warranty. You should have 6 years water ingress warranty.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I know you are away and of course want the source of the leak fixed - I am sure you have thought of this but register the issue with Hymer asap and get a main dealer to deal with it - under warranty presumably plus you don't want to do something that invalidates the warranty. You should have 6 years water ingress warranty.
Reported to our dealer and pile of photos sent (Tyne Valley Motorhomes)

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
586D6B61-66A4-4430-97E6-1A55EE0CD39B.jpeg
Another group member has reported the identical issue but this time with a B444DL model, photo attached. It has been raining during the night and steadily raining now, forecast is rain all day once it clears I will inspect the garage floor for wetness.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
The problem we found with water ingress is that where the water is found, and the point of entry, can be entirely different, especiwith Hymers PUaL construction.

We found quite a lot of water in the garage of our 2017, and it transpired that the leak was actually at pretty much roof level, the water was running down inside the PUaL panel (which has hollow channels in it), and running out into the garage. There was no evidence of any damp in the van at all.. but no doubt if it had gone unnoticed in the garage then some mould type evidence would have shown itself

The picture below shows better what I mean..

The good news is that the problem was completely remedied in one trip to the dealer, Travelworld, who were superb throughout the whole episode (and in fact it was them that identified the source of the leak - I’d never have thought to look where they did and had assumed faulty door seals).

C7B1E697-5E65-45E1-8118-8150880FB9B9.jpeg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The problem we found with water ingress is that where the water is found, and the point of entry, can be entirely different, especiwith Hymers PUaL construction.

We found quite a lot of water in the garage of our 2017, and it transpired that the leak was actually at pretty much roof level, the water was running down inside the PUaL panel (which has hollow channels in it), and running out into the garage. There was no evidence of any damp in the van at all.. but no doubt if it had gone unnoticed in the garage then some mould type evidence would have shown itself

The good news is that the problem was completely remedied in one trip to the dealer, Travelworld, who were superb throughout the whole episode (and in fact it was them that identified the source of the leak - I’d never have thought to look where they did and had assumed faulty door seals).

View attachment 263891

So the gutter was leaking originally then which caused all the problem, I must say I also wouldn't have looked there either. They must have found it by seeing that sealant was missing in that area?

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

View attachment 263891
Nice one Millie that could explain the water in the garage, but the damp panels in the alcove which is about 5 inches above the garage floor? Surely there cannot be two issues here! Worryingly the base of the alcove is the underfloor of the van, if this is affected then it would be a major issue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back