Hymer Drop Down bed ..is it any good ? (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
What I have noticed is, that when the interior temperature is really cold (freezing outside) the bed seems to drop with relative ease once the strap is released, and with very little help from me.

Sorry Jock, I mislead a bit, it was just the nuts I replaced :rolleyes: I have noticed the changes in temp effect the raising and the lowering. I'm glad you mentioned it as I thought it was to do with how much ale I had consumed the previous evening :drink:I try to keep an eye on how the gas struts are fairing as wouldn't want them failing whilst away from home! Someone told me that a sign they are getting near to shot is if your driving and over those smooth dippy kinda bumps in the road o_O the front of the bed (nearest windscreen) moves downwards ! How true this is I not sure! :)

Last edited:

BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
A couple of years...France/Spain/Portugal and Blighty
We will be looking for a Hymer 544 when we get over to the UK next month and this thread, particularly regarding the bed, has been excellent. We read that the bed had good headroom and it is possible to enjoy a morning cuppa in the morning. We have a delicate question though....my wife and I are wondering if there's enough room to, err, love one another in that special way that only loving partners can ;-) !? Do the bed struts and hinge provide a solid platform when down?...does it have movement?...squeak?...weight limits? (we total 160kgs.)

Mind you, I am so happy this is one of my wife's concerns!!!

Brendon & Lorna
(Currently) Palm Beach, Queensland

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We will be looking for a Hymer 544 when we get over to the UK next month and this thread, particularly regarding the bed, has been excellent. We read that the bed had good headroom and it is possible to enjoy a morning cuppa in the morning. We have a delicate question though....my wife and I are wondering if there's enough room to, err, love one another in that special way that only loving partners can ;-) !? Do the bed struts and hinge provide a solid platform when down?...does it have movement?...squeak?...weight limits? (we total 160kgs.)

Mind you, I am so happy this is one of my wife's concerns!!!

Brendon & Lorna
(Currently) Palm Beach, Queensland

Brilliant ! lololol

The German designers have pretty much got it covered....

Dinette and bench
L Shaped lounge
Bar Version

All have their merits....

It's not just about the bed :whistle:

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
We had an old 1993 544 and the bed was very comfortable. Our friends have a much later 544 which they use for up to 6 months Of the year and they love it. We now have an Exsis 504 and frankly I think the bed is more comfortable than our one at home. Climbing over one another is always a pain, especially when the bone are getting old and stiff, so now Mrs W uses the back bed and I the drop down.

Wonderful, Wobby

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Its the climbing over each other that gets interesting! Super 584 camper x
That's why we don't use ours, and opted for the fixed rear bed. :)

If lucky enough to own another MH, it'll have either an island bed, or two singles. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In our 584 l sleep on the overcab and my wife sleeps on the pull-out side bed. Both are large and comfortable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We've just swapped a T552CL with fixed bed for a B544 (2012) and I'm 6'4" tall (or long) and was a bit concerned about the bed being long enough for me.
The bed is just about long enough and I have slept up there and had a good nights sleep so everything is great. We don't use the ladder just hop up and down on bench seat, easy peasy even in middle of the night.

We have only had the 544 for a few days but we absolutely love it, the space inside is great and I think it's got to be one of Herr H's best.

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Another vote for the 544, and in particular the drop- down bed. It's definitely more comfortable than our bed at home. We use a mattress topper, and it has a Froli base, rather than wooden slats...I don't know if that helps, comfort- wise. We've always had a king- size bed at home, and the 544 gives us equal space, so we don't feel we're compromising at all. No ladder, but it's easy enough to climb into the bed, using the side settee. Himself sleeps at the "front" so has less headroom, but he says it's fine. I just have to move my legs aside, for him to get out of bed before me. I've not fallen out of the bed. On a recent weekend away, we used a 1 tog duvet, and it was cosy. As Winter approaches, the 4.5 tog will be used instead. Our duvet and 2 pillows get stowed away, each morning, no problem. Lots of lounging space for daytime.

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We have a Duomobile. The drop down bed is very comfortable. We’ve used it as a double and as two singles. The ladder is easy to use. I don’t think we could raise it with pillows, and duvets would be a struggle. It’s an intelligent use of space though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Our first Hymer ( a Duo) and we like the drop down bed. I did manage to fall as I was getting down one night after some very good local wine but I think it’s a very good use of space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back