Hymer Drop Down bed ..is it any good ? (1 Viewer)

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
When the bed is in the up position can the duvet and pillows be left in place or has the bed to be stripped each morning ? Cheers

Bedding can be left there..............I use the drop down as my main bed on the 644......whilst Mum uses the fixed transverse rear.
I've still only the sponge 'mattress', but find it comfy.......
And yes, one of the gas struts is getting a little tired, and will want replacing soon.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
No problem with the drop down bed. Personal issue is that if we don't have the external screens on, it does get quite light with daylight getting in around the blinds.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Mine doesn't have the built in screens either..........has short curtains in the inboard side which are long enough to 'close off' the bed when its down, and I rely on the windscreen curtains to do same on that side. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We leave ours made up, complete with four pillows
I sleep on the pull-down & wife sleeps on the side seat (which pulls out to make a decent single). We both use sleeping bags & two pillows each and they all store on the pull-down (along with other stuff if necessary). The pull-down bed has a lot of clearance at the front when in the up position so there's plenty of room for bedding etc. Front seats need to be tilted forwards OR pulled fully back to lower the bed. I don't use the ladder - just step on the rear/side of the drivers seat. (It's a 2005 B584 by the way)

ToddyTwo

Free Member
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Hi, we have a B544 and find the drop down bed really comfortable. We used it every night for 2 months with no problem. It pulls down quite low so we step up from the seat rather than use the ladder.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
A further thumbs up for the pull-down bed. The Dethleffs is identical to the Hymer inside (same company), and chassis/engine-wise. We've spent several winters full-time in down to -22c and never had any problem with the windows or screen. Got a roof-light above it too, with a screen, which is great in the summer.... It's very comfortable and easy to get into - Swmbo is only 5' and just climbs in from the settee, no need for a ladder.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OK.. I'm sold on the drop down bed .. thanks for the replies.. (y)

Any other issues with the 544 or Hymers in general.. apart from the usual stuff that is common to most marques..

damp obviously a major concern on ANY van. so all the known areas need checking.. round windows, doors, roof lights, etc .. that's a given, will be checking with a damp meter.

I read @Forestboy Rory's thread on his son's 544 , so know about the 5th gear issue , sagging front struts, bed gas struts, cam belt change, etc. and having bought the Motorhome Buyers Guide, will be using buyers check list..

but do Hymers have an Achilles heel that little fault particular to Hymers ?

B544 model years 2000 - 2006 ?

and if anyone knows of a good one up for grabs please let me know.. but it must have 3 or 4 belted seats and prefer the L shaped lounge.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We've had our 2002 B544 Classic for almost 3 years now and I cannot fault it. It's taken us down to Spain and up to Shetland and never been any trouble. I've seen wheel bearings failing mentioned a few times and mine has had one replaced by previous owner, cambelt I had done at around £350, bed is great but watch out for the sneeky bolts loosening up, easy to keep an eye on. Past two years has sailed through the MOT with only very minor advisories. Very fond of our B544. :love:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OK.. I'm sold on the drop down bed .. thanks for the replies.. (y)

but do Hymers have an Achilles heel that little fault particular to Hymers ?

B544 model years 2000 - 2006 ?
From a buyers point of view they hold their value too well.:)

Damp is not normally an issue with Hymer's due to the timberless PUAL construction, if water ever does get in it can't do much damage.
On the earlier classic shape a few have had problems with the sliding passenger window seals & frame leaking, but it's only a problem if it is left untreated, do not know if it is relevant to newer models.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
From a buyers point of view they hold their value too well.:)

On the earlier classic shape a few have had problems with the sliding passenger window seals & frame leaking, but it's only a problem if it is left untreated, do not know if it is relevant to newer models.

Yes I can get water come in here if it's raining and the wind is blowing hard (Scotland). Turn the van around is usually the fix!

Post edit; not sure if it's just a design fault or the sliding window seals needing replacement?

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A couple of thoughts.
  1. Check the position of the lower fridge vent. On the B544 I have a suspicion that it may be obscured by the large grey ABS rear 'bumper', which makes service that bit harder. Or I may have got this wrong and the vent is set horizontally into the floor. Obviously it's only a problem if you need access to the fridge gas jet etc.
  2. There are two sealing strips running across the roof on a B-klasse of the vintage you are considering: one over the joint between roof and front 'cab' moulding, the other doing the same job at the back. These can lift over time (I believe there are s/s screws beneath that can lift). If the seals are compromised, they have to be removed, screws sorted out, then re-set with mastic. I know Peter Hambilton does this fix but it is expensive (£100 per metre approx.) Also, I believe Jock had this done on his by a mobile fitter so you could ask him for advice. Again not a problem so long as the van is in good condition. Similar seals run down the sides at front and rear, and along the vertical edges of the roof where it wraps over the side. These carry the gutter but also need checking to ensure there is no lift away from the body.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes I can get water come in here if it's raining and the wind is blowing hard (Scotland). Turn the van around is usually the fix!

Post edit; not sure if it's just a design fault or the sliding window seals needing replacement?
On the earlier vans I think it was a case of replacing the frame, better to investigate now rather than leave it & end up with a lot of damage.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@JeanLuc

thanks.. useful information.. worth inspecting these roof seals before buying.. I bet a lot miss that one.. ..

generally any seals that need re-doing over time I am happy and competent do DIY .

it's always been my practice to inspect annually and renew / repair if required

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Mikes had his 2 weeks now slept in it a few nights on the overcab says its very very comfortable.
Fridge vent is in the back wall above the rear bumper so easy to access.
Only awkward item is the grey drain waste which is under the step.
We're off to Weston with them this weekend so far they're loving it.
Have to say it'll be our choice of van when we eventually down size.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
On the earlier vans I think it was a case of replacing the frame, better to investigate now rather than leave it & end up with a lot of damage.

The sliding window gully is made in such a way that water will just run into it. It can then run forward as well into the gully for the front window. They do have three drains, but water can still collect. I can't see any problems except it gets mucky and a bit green. No sign of damp or damage though. Bit fidly cleaning.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hi, we have a B544 and find the drop down bed really comfortable. We used it every night for 2 months with no problem. It pulls down quite low so we step up from the seat rather than use the ladder.

Me too Jim, B584, always leave the bed made up, the double quilt from the lower plus pillows go up there for travel and once up the Avtex TV slides in along with laptop.

6' 2" with a dodgy back but I always get a good nights sleep and I don't need the ladder, step on the edge of the seat.

Loads of room, very comfy, I used to use the curtains at night but got a bit cold last January in the Elveden forest, now I use the silver screens all the time. Much better in the summer for blocking out the light.

Would only swap her for another.

Hymie.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Jim, isn't a fellow funster selling their van at a very good price ? Sure the thread's here somewhere...

I'm currently driving a 2005 van, with the more recent interior. Previously had a 1998 B544 'smiley' van.
Have to say I much prefer the new bathroom and electroblok display panel but otherwise, the pre 2004 is of a higher standard for sure. Recent worktops / tables are much lighter and 'delicate' - I prefer solid, sod the weight.
Also prefer the older double sink, far more useable than the new round design.

My opinion, a 2003/04 van with the older cabinets but facelift dash takes some beating, best of both worlds.

*edit*
Just found the other van for sale, looks like only two belts, so maybe no good for you.
But it does the better cabinets and facelift dash, gives you a clue as to what I'm rambling about !
Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, isn't a fellow funster selling their van at a very good price ? Sure the thread's here somewhere...

yes, but unfortunately it's the twin couch version.. I want either the dinette or even better the L shape

I need a minimum of 3 belted seats.

also prefer the rear double sink model.. pre 2005 ?

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
A couple of thoughts.
  1. Check the position of the lower fridge vent. On the B544 I have a suspicion that it may be obscured by the large grey ABS rear 'bumper', which makes service that bit harder. Or I may have got this wrong and the vent is set horizontally into the floor. Obviously it's only a problem if you need access to the fridge gas jet etc

My B544 has the lower fridge vent under the floor which is OK but as JeanLuc says means that you can only clean out the flue through the top and for anything else the fridge has to come out. Not had to have mine out, yet, when I tried last summer, really just to have a look and give it a dust out o_O I couldn't pull it forward but I think it was just the seal sticking so I decided to leave it alone on the basis of if it's not broke don't fix it!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
My B544 has the lower fridge vent under the floor which is OK but as JeanLuc says means that you can only clean out the flue through the top and for anything else the fridge has to come out. Not had to have mine out, yet, when I tried last summer, really just to have a look and give it a dust out o_O I couldn't pull it forward but I think it was just the seal sticking so I decided to leave it alone on the basis of if it's not broke don't fix it!
A couple of thoughts.
  1. Check the position of the lower fridge vent. On the B544 I have a suspicion that it may be obscured by the large grey ABS rear 'bumper', which makes service that bit harder. Or I may have got this wrong and the vent is set horizontally into the floor. Obviously it's only a problem if you need access to the fridge gas jet etc.
  2. There are two sealing strips running across the roof on a B-klasse of the vintage you are considering: one over the joint between roof and front 'cab' moulding, the other doing the same job at the back. These can lift over time (I believe there are s/s screws beneath that can lift). If the seals are compromised, they have to be removed, screws sorted out, then re-set with mastic. I know Peter Hambilton does this fix but it is expensive (£100 per metre approx.) Also, I believe Jock had this done on his by a mobile fitter so you could ask him for advice. Again not a problem so long as the van is in good condition. Similar seals run down the sides at front and rear, and along the vertical edges of the roof where it wraps over the side. These carry the gutter but also need checking to ensure there is no lift away from the body.

Mikes had his 2 weeks now slept in it a few nights on the overcab says its very very comfortable.
Fridge vent is in the back wall above the rear bumper so easy to access.
Only awkward item is the grey drain waste which is under the step.
We're off to Weston with them this weekend so far they're loving it.
Have to say it'll be our choice of van when we eventually down size.

hah hah just realised you're talking about the lower vent I was on about upper vent sorry guys. Thinking about it it probably is at floor level.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I have had both a Luton, Autotrail Apache 634 and I now have my second Hymer b584.
Although we found the bed in the Apache comfortable enough there was always the ducking to get out of the front seats issue.

The Hymer bed is far more comfortable and during the day it is out of the way with the duvet and four pillows plus the ladder although I do rearrange things a little to relieve pressure on the inner roof lining, for example the ladder lies central facing fore and aft with two pillows either side.

For some reason I get a child like feeling of happiness lying up there looking down at the interior of the van, much better than being in bed at home.

I just need someone to share it with now, but that is another story. :whistle:

Take care,

Norman.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
For some reason I get a child like feeling of happiness lying up there looking down at the interior of the van, much better than being in bed at home.

It just needs the sound of a little rain tinkering down on the roof...total contentment:rolleyes:

(as long as it's not still raining when I get up in the morning o_O)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Also, I believe Jock had this done on his by a mobile fitter so you could ask him for advice
Yes, the rear roof seal needed doing first, and the seals and sealant were purchased from Hymer AG, whilst we were in Bad Waldsee, Germany. Hymer workshops didn't have the time slots available, to do the work during our visit. :(
The front seal which wasn't leaking, but was the same age, was done a few months later. Ash did the work, with me (his apprentice) cutting out the old sealant and making the coffee. ;)

bed is great but watch out for the sneeky bolts loosening up, easy to keep an eye on.
Absolutely David. I caught ours just in time, but two other Hymer owners I know weren't quite so fortunate. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Absolutely David. I caught ours just in time, but two other Hymer owners I know weren't quite so fortunate. :(

That's frightening! Before I knew of the issue I noticed that the bed didn't settle in the down position properly. Then when I looked, one of the nuts had about 3 threads left before it would drop off! I've since replaced nuts and bolts but still keep a close eye on them!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
That's frightening! Before I knew of the issue I noticed that the bed didn't settle in the down position properly. Then when I looked, one of the nuts had about 3 threads left before it would drop off! I've since replaced nuts and bolts but still keep a close eye on them!
Yes, I found a couple of the Nylock nuts clinging on by their last threads, but tightened them all up, and lubricated all the joints with silicone spray. As our over cab bed is not in regular use, I didn't replace the nuts and bolts.

What I have noticed is, that when the interior temperature is really cold (freezing outside) the bed seems to drop with relative ease once the strap is released, and with very little help from me. However, when the interior is nice and warm, the bed needs a fair bit of a heave before it comes down. No doubt down to expansion and contraction of metals, etc, etc. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What I have noticed is, that when the interior temperature is really cold (freezing outside) the bed seems to drop with relative ease once the strap is released, and with very little help from me. However, when the interior is nice and warm, the bed needs a fair bit of a heave before it comes down. No doubt down to expansion and contraction of metals, etc, etc. ;)

Hi Jock
more likely due to the expansion / contraction of the nitrogen in the gas struts .. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock
more likely due to the expansion / contraction of the nitrogen in the gas struts .. :)
That'll do for me, Jim pal. ;)

The gas strut on the rear French quarter bed, has lost it's resistance, so I'll have to see about replacing that. I've replaced the two on the garage door, for about a third of the price Hymer wanted, but with the same spec. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Yes Jim, SGS are well known for their knowledge and service regarding gas struts, and Hymer spec.

I didn't know about them, when I sourced the garage door struts (LiP) from a local Motor factor, who were also very helpful. Broken Link Removed

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back