Hymer Drawer & Locker Handles 2016 onwards (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Many owners have experienced bubbling of the chrome on drawer and lockers handles due to the seemingly sub standard chrome plating/surface preparation and like me have had several replaced under warranty some several times. These handles were first fitted to Dynamic Line models band then across the model range. I made enquiries about having them re-chromed but was told it would be very expensive, replacements from Hymer are a buttock clenching price.
A member of the fb Hymer Owners Group has put a lot of work finding suitable replacements and has kindly given permission to produce his post on MHF.
These handles are obviously a different design and are satin chrome so will not be to everyone’s liking. The supplier is Locksonline.com.
Model is Melbury Bow Handle the short ones are part no 113.82.016 which have a screw hole pitch of 160mm between centres. The larger handle part no 113.82.019 they are 255mm between hole centres.
Again thanks to Ian Hogarth for allowing me to use his photo showing the poor chrome plating on the originals and the new ones fitted. If any members find other replacements please add to this thread
37EB729A-7D81-48DA-BB75-B8996A176E25.jpeg

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
It looks like the first photo is under water ? Hi Stewart hows things ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nice to see HOG promoting a non Hymer solution 👍

really saddens me how many bespoke items you can’t get as spares from Hymer, no longer available even after 5 years or less, I guess other manufacturers may be as bad

thankfully I don’t have these handles on mi e though

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
For those wondering this is the handle type, it’s the third replacement under warranty, Hymer now do not want to know. Light reflection has masked worst of bubbling but some can be seen on rh side. The issue with chrome plating as many will know once it bubbles and flakes it’s thin and razor sharp apart from looking unsightly. Premium Hymer product my anus.
866CF0C2-6280-4072-9BBC-A1617D19EB30.jpeg

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
It looks like the first photo is under water ? Hi Stewart hows things ?
First photo Zoom it up it’s a mess.
Things are well, currently down South, Suffolk (well for us from the Northern Frontier this is well South) ye gods you guys have some crap weather there’s the family sending us sunny photos and it’s cold and drizzled on and off all day and it’s been the same all week. Northwards tomorrow into Norfolk just North of Norwich to catch up with my wife’s God-daughter who’s just finished uni coming away with a first class honours degree, good lass.👍

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We have the same problem with our 2017 Duomobile. Disappointing for a firm with such a reputation for quality.
image.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I missed this thread until now, that's a nice cheap option. Hymer ones are €17 for the small one & €25 for the larger ones. That would €326 for a full set for my van.
I was looking getting them re-chromed wasn't expecting much change out of 200 quid still a lot cheaper and it would be much better quality chrome.

Premium Hymer product my anus
Only ever been a mid range van that was hyped up when Brownhills had the sole dealership.

Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Guys
My B588DL handles (all of them ) are the same , good old Hymer

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
To save me going to our storage place with a tape measure, to fit the new handles is it a simple unscrew the old ones and fit the new ones, or is there more involved such as drilling new holes and filling the old ones ?

(2018 MLT 570, bubbling in the chrome had started by 2019 and is now very apparent. Given that this is a known problem, and probably affects every vehicle sold by Hymer in the last 5 years you would have thought they would have a solution by now)

Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Stuart
Thanks for your footwork have you fitted these handles to your Hymer ? If you have any chance of a picture please.

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
Anyone interested in rechroming costs
These are from a burstner elegance
They measure 350mm in length
The cost to have 2 of these rechromed from Ashford rechroming is £240
The price from camper UK for 2 new ones is £220 Which is still a ridiculous amount for 2 handles

Attachments

• 20210812_113023.jpg
    20210812_113023.jpg
    984.8 KB · Views: 25
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Many owners have experienced bubbling of the chrome on drawer and lockers handles due to the seemingly sub standard chrome plating/surface preparation and like me have had several replaced under warranty some several times. These handles were first fitted to Dynamic Line models band then across the model range. I made enquiries about having them re-chromed but was told it would be very expensive, replacements from Hymer are a buttock clenching price.
A member of the fb Hymer Owners Group has put a lot of work finding suitable replacements and has kindly given permission to produce his post on MHF.
These handles are obviously a different design and are satin chrome so will not be to everyone’s liking. The supplier is Locksonline.com.
Model is Melbury Bow Handle the short ones are part no 113.82.016 which have a screw hole pitch of 160mm between centres. The larger handle part no 113.82.019 they are 255mm between hole centres.
Again thanks to Ian Hogarth for allowing me to use his photo showing the poor chrome plating on the originals and the new ones fitted. If any members find other replacements please add to this threadView attachment 511535
I got flung off HOGs for doing that 😊 so far my handles are ok but really useful info thanks Stewart J👍😊

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The price from camper UK for 2 new ones is £220 Which is still a ridiculous amount for 2 handles
I know chome plating is expensive you say the cost is for two but would it be any more if you had 10 done?

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
A family friend in the engineering world told me it would be buttock clenchingly expensive and cheaper to buy new from Hymer even at their inflated prices.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It may be of interest but watching Car SOS recently some chrome plating was required on a plastic grille and a different method was used , I think called silvering, which looked just like chrome plating .
Sorry my description is a bit vague but marbles are going :p

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
2 years ago the price for a handle from burstner UK was £58.75 + vat

Yesterday the price is £75.98 +vat
EU transport £5.00 + vat
Uk postage £8.00 + vat
From camper uk

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
It may be of interest but watching Car SOS recently some chrome plating was required on a plastic grille and a different method was used , I think called silvering, which looked just like chrome plating .
Sorry my description is a bit vague but marbles are going :p
I think its called mirror polishing

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
A family friend in the engineering world told me it would be buttock clenchingly expensive and cheaper to buy new from Hymer even at their inflated prices.
But if buy Hymer ones they will go again within 2 years.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
If this is common across the entire range then the manufacturing process is clearly defective. Hymer must have the ability to return the defective ones to their supplier for replacement at zero cost to themselves (apart from admin time). It just seems laziness and very poor service on their part not to put in this small effort on behalf of their customers in order to maintain their reputation for quality.

If we customers were prepared to force the issue with our own dealers under Sale of Goods Act legislation (6 years - inherently defective) then the message might get through to Hymer that they really ought to pull their finger out and do what they ought to be doing with their own suppliers. Hiding behind a limited 2 year manufacturers warranty is just unacceptable.

Anyone prepared to pursue this with their own dealer or seek their reaction?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If this is common across the entire range then the manufacturing process is clearly defective. Hymer must have the ability to return the defective ones to their supplier for replacement at zero cost to themselves (apart from admin time). It just seems laziness and very poor service on their part not to put in this small effort on behalf of their customers in order to maintain their reputation for quality.

If we customers were prepared to force the issue with our own dealers under Sale of Goods Act legislation (6 years - inherently defective) then the message might get through to Hymer that they really ought to pull their finger out and do what they ought to be doing with their own suppliers. Hiding behind a limited 2 year manufacturers warranty is just unacceptable.

Anyone prepared to pursue this with their own dealer or seek their reaction?
To be honest, if the Melbury handles are a simple replacement that does not rust or delaminate, at only £2.50 each, it's going to be case of change from £30 and an afternoon with a screwdriver to resolve the problem.

I think it would be more useful to get LocksOnLine to add that the handles are suitable replacements for the Hymer handles on their blurb, and offer a HOGS discount for a full set.

The cost of the Hymer originals is extortionate and the quality is abysmal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back