hymer , does anyone adapt a barbaque gas point ? (1 Viewer)

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
Hi , We looked at various motorhomes , found one which nearly fitted our layout but not quite - it did have however a nice gas bbq point on the drivers side .
Now - we bought a B544 hymer which has a great layout but has gas bottles on the pass side - My question is - is it possible to fit an adapter to the gas pipes to then plumb in a bbq point on the drivers side as that's the side my awning is fitted ?
Not a big issue but looking forward to summer already :)
regards john

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If your fridge is on the drivers side there'll be a gas pipe there.

Ian

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm sure you could (put a gas point on the other side) but why not remove a cylinder and then you could BBQ anywhere?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is possible to put a pipe direct from the gas locker on the passenger side and run it through to the drivers side (assuming it's a RHD) but that would be quite involved, an alternative would be to tap into existing gas pipework running on the drivers side with a manifold/isolation tap, as other gas appliances have. With both scenarios it is possibly best left to a qualified LPG fitter to do it as it wouldn't be straightforward.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm confused ... I've just been looking at photos of the B544 and they all appear to have the gas locker on the driver side (RHD) ...????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi , We looked at various motorhomes , found one which nearly fitted our layout but not quite - it did have however a nice gas bbq point on the drivers side .
Now - we bought a B544 hymer which has a great layout but has gas bottles on the pass side - My question is - is it possible to fit an adapter to the gas pipes to then plumb in a bbq point on the drivers side as that's the side my awning is fitted ?
Not a big issue but looking forward to summer already :)
regards john
There's gas in the bottom of the wardrobe feeding the heating - an easy tap-off from there.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
image.jpeg
I agree with the previous comments. Here is a picture of our B544. Would be interested to see a picture of the one being described in the post though. Gary

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes is the simple answer to your question, the only caveat is it should be done in a professional manner using copper pipe and fittings from gas takeoff point (making sure at least one isolation valve is Incorporated), through to the rear of BBQ point itself
No Orange rubber piping anywhere in the system (other than externally from BBQ point to BBQ itself of course)
LPG rubber pipe has a lifespan of about 5 years and inspected at every use, therefor not suitable for permanent or semi permanent gas installations.
Proper gas leak testing should be carried out after install (Soap and water is not an approved method).
Geo

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
View attachment 137612 I agree with the previous comments. Here is a picture of our B544. Would be interested to see a picture of the one being described in the post though. Gary
That photo shows the gas locker and awning on the RHS like Mel & myself suspected, the opposite to what you said.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That photo shows the gas locker and awning on the RHS like Mel & myself suspected, the opposite to what you said.
The opposite of what the OP said, not 'Hymer B544' (you're confusing the ID and vehicle being talked about.).

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We used plastic coveted copper pipe to cross from one side to the other as supplied by Gasit, a very easy job by a qualified person.

Upvote 0

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Our B544 is RHD with both doors on the right. Hence the bottles are on the left (next to passenger).
In out case the gas point is under the cooker hob. Just take the kitchen drawers out and the gas pipes are easily accessible.

It's clear that the B544 comes in a variety of body types.

a BBQ Point.jpg

Humberto screen Cover.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our B544 is RHD with both doors on the right. Hence the bottles are on the left (next to passenger).
In out case the gas point is under the cooker hob. Just take the kitchen drawers out and the gas pipes are easily accessible.

View attachment 137637

View attachment 137639
Good point, which is why a picture of the B544 in question would be helpful, though only to satisfy my curiosity, the question was about fitting a gas BBQ point.

Upvote 0

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
When I fitted a refillable underslung tank on our previous Hymer (1999 Starline 640) the only available space was on the UK nearside, and gas locker and associated regulator and plumbing on O/s. It was almost trivial to route a copper pipe from the new tank to the existing regulator. The only problem I had was in bending the pipe without kinking it - I didn't have a bender, and I'm almost sure I wouldn't have been able to use one in the tight confines. Plan the route, then plan which bends to make in which order.
The refillable tank and fittings I bought also included a gas-leak squirty bottle, and that helped.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

View attachment 137637

View attachment 137639
Interesting never seen a Hymer built like that before.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
barwik

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
Hi .
Go humberto - that's exactly the type of thing I'm after and that's exactly the layout of our van - I never thought of the cooker point to tap into ... so simple !!
But that's why it was worth asking so thanks everyone very helpful
:xThumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back