HYMER DAMP CHECK WARRANTY. (1 Viewer)

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
The damp check warranty on our Hymer was due in March 2021. I duly contacted Erwin Hymer Centre (Travelworld) only to be told
by the Service desk that it was due that day, I had missed it and there was no leeway given by Hymer and they also advised that they needed it for 3 days to do the damp check. As I couldn’t travel to them due to COVID restrictions being in place until 12 April I couldn’t comply.
After another phone call to them a week or so later to try to resolve this, I was then told by the Service desk that Hymer had extended the dates due to COVID to 30 August. As EHC (TRAVELWORLD) are a round trip of 500 miles for us I elected to take it to Tyne Valley Motorhomes (only 50 miles away) who are authorised to carry out Hymer checks and warranty work and had in fact undertaken the damp check in 2020.
Tyne Valley could only fit me in on 5 August but as the Hymer extension was until 30 August that was fine. However when I requested confirmation from Hymer of this extension date - an email duly arrived stating the Hymer extension was up to 27 June and not 30 August. Now my damp check on 5 August falls out of the extension time and therefore won’t comply and they cannot give me an earlier date.
Has anyone got any suggestions that might help or had a similar problem? Any positive imput would be appreciated.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Our Autotrail Delaware was registered on 1st April 2016. This year I contacted Autotrail at the beginning of March and explained that my preferred serice centre, Johns Cross, was not able to open due to COVID restrictions, and they told me I had until May 2nd before I would be in breach of warranty - that is over one month after the date I presumed. They also gave me a list of open service centres.
Perhaps you could pressure them with the information that at least one other manufacturer gives a little more time.

Reactions: DJT

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
The damp check warranty on our Hymer was due in March 2021. I duly contacted Erwin Hymer Centre (Travelworld) only to be told
by the Service desk that it was due that day, I had missed it and there was no leeway given by Hymer and they also advised that they needed it for 3 days to do the damp check. As I couldn’t travel to them due to COVID restrictions being in place until 12 April I couldn’t comply.
After another phone call to them a week or so later to try to resolve this, I was then told by the Service desk that Hymer had extended the dates due to COVID to 30 August. As EHC (TRAVELWORLD) are a round trip of 500 miles for us I elected to take it to Tyne Valley Motorhomes (only 50 miles away) who are authorised to carry out Hymer checks and warranty work and had in fact undertaken the damp check in 2020.
Tyne Valley could only fit me in on 5 August but as the Hymer extension was until 30 August that was fine. However when I requested confirmation from Hymer of this extension date - an email duly arrived stating the Hymer extension was up to 27 June and not 30 August. Now my damp check on 5 August falls out of the extension time and therefore won’t comply and they cannot give me an earlier date.
Has anyone got any suggestions that might help or had a similar problem? Any positive imput would be appreciated.
Write to Travelworld and get them to put it into writing that the warranty is extended till the 30th August. After getting receipt challenge the issue through Hymer that their agent has agreed that cover is through to 30 August. Also consider getting it booked into Travelworld that way you will have all bases covered until you can get a dealer more local to squeeze you in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Now that Becks have ceased trading I may forego my 5 year final check and give all areas especially the roof a once over check as all has been well so far.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
DJT Why not try Adventure leisure at Tebay <Broken link removed> they are Hymer dealers I think. Thats where I am going to take mine next, as I'm not impressed with TW , they supplied my van and have done work on it but like you its a 400 odd mile trip plus usually an overnight. Plus 3 days for a damp check is ridiculous, full habitation should only be 3-4 hours.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I have had the same issue with Chelston. Its very disappointing. I was going to try Travelworld to see if they would give a better response. Not optimistic now! Its very very petty and not what you would expect from your dealer/

I also have some chassis warranty work needed (only a headlight) but the van will be out of warranty by the time I can travel.

I wonder if the damp test is OK at the next Habitation service our warranty will resume or whether that's it gone.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I guess we're lucky. Our Dethleffs is due it's second check this month. I was contacted by the dealer, Premier Motorhomes, last month and all booked in for next week. Last year we were allowed a 6 month extension.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I have bought 3 new British built motorhomes from West Country motorhomes. They have done all my habitation checks on time with no quibbling over guarantee work, excellent service.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I would suspect that they will take any opportunity to renege on the warranty, or is that me being cynical.
Maybe not. If the damp check is OK it would be worth their while giving the warranty back on the condition that they can charge you for more habitation services :imoutahere:

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I have bought 3 new British built motorhomes from West Country motorhomes. They have done all my habitation checks on time with no quibbling over guarantee work, excellent service.
Even during a pandemic when they have been closed?

Problem I have is that we live on the Isle of Man and our borders have been closed for over a year. I had to write off the hab check last year completely as it just was not practicable. Got a local service guy to do it. he is NCC approved but Carado (computer still still says no) your warranty is invalid.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I had the same issue with a new Hymer I bought from Lowdhams. Back in 2017, the problem was simply that 6 weeks notice was not enough time for them to fit it in before the year was up.

As mentioned by golly , we got in touch with Adventure at Tebay who were able to fit it in no problem...very good people to deal with in my experience

• Thanks
Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
The warranty terms on my Laika (Hymer Group) automatically allows two months leeway either side of the due check date.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Tried to sort a date for my 4th year water ingress warranty check today moho registered 4th Jan 2017 dealers workshop has been closed due to COVID regs so I have obviously gone past the service due date. Dealer could not verify my warranty is invalidated and are contacting Hymer on my behalf for clarification. Not at all impressed with Hymers customer support on not only this but other issues.

OP
OP
DJT

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
DJT Why not try Adventure leisure at Tebay <Broken link removed> they are Hymer dealers I think. Thats where I am going to take mine next, as I'm not impressed with TW , they supplied my van and have done work on it but like you its a 400 odd mile trip plus usually an overnight. Plus 3 days for a damp check is ridiculous, full habitation should only be 3-4 hours.
A big THANKS to golly for that info.I got in touch with Adventure Leisure at Tebay and after I explained the situation to them the girl on service could not have been more helpful.
The van is now booked in with them.
Thanks to everyone for their replies to this post👍👍
DJT

OP
OP
DJT

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Tried to sort a date for my 4th year water ingress warranty check today moho registered 4th Jan 2017 dealers workshop has been closed due to COVID regs so I have obviously gone past the service due date. Dealer could not verify my warranty is invalidated and are contacting Hymer on my behalf for clarification. Not at all impressed with Hymers customer support on not only this but other issues.
Might be worth a conversation with Adventure Leisure at Tebay (see above post #5 from golly)👍👍
DJT

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
Have been told by dealer that my Dethleffs water ingress warranty requires a full habitation check whilst I requested the damp checks only as I believe that is all that is required. from reading the warranty. Any guidance?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Have been told by dealer that my Dethleffs water ingress warranty requires a full habitation check whilst I requested the damp checks only as I believe that is all that is required. from reading the warranty. Any guidance?
Sounds like a con. How long is your warranty for Habitation items. If its anything like our Carthago you only get two years. So on year two I had the habitation go over in great detail and any issues rectified under warranty. Year three onwards only have gas safety certificate and water ingress. It must be the same with the Dethleff, they are two separate warranty inspections one is not beholding to the other. In my case as the van is 6 years old next year its up to me if I pay for another inspection but had it done this year to continue the cover.

Also ask your dealer to put the specification in writing, then forward that to Dethleff pointing out the demand made. I think you can then see a change of tact.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
A big THANKS to golly for that info.I got in touch with Adventure Leisure at Tebay and after I explained the situation to them the girl on service could not have been more helpful.
The van is now booked in with them.
Thanks to everyone for their replies to this post👍👍
DJT
Glad you got sorted :clap:

• Thanks

M J

Oct 4, 2016
Wiltshire UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2014
KX66ElK%SlqVqVFhUIm0qA.jpg
Your hand over documentation should include a Service schedule form as shown giving the range of dates that are acceptable.

However I have experienced Hymers lack of customer service when I had a fault with the rear view camera system within the warranty but could not be dealt with due to the pandemic as both Hymer and the dealer were closed. When unlocked - You are out of Warranty !!

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
I can confirm what Polar bear says, West Country are brilliant, they go out of their way to help if there is any problem with the van and even on a personal situation they are understanding. 5 stars.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I had the same issue with a new Hymer I bought from Lowdhams. Back in 2017, the problem was simply that 6 weeks notice was not enough time for them to fit it in before the year was up.

As mentioned by golly , we got in touch with Adventure at Tebay who were able to fit it in no problem...very good people to deal with in my experience

We also bought a September 2018 Hymer from Lowdhams and took delivery in March 2020 (A week before the Pandemic hit)
For the September 2021 hab check Lowdhams wanted it for 3 days to do it (due to Pandemic restrictions)

Lowdhams is a 300 mile round trip for us.
It would have meant taking it up there, somehow getting home (how ? I seriously looked at cycling the distance), somehow getting back (how? cycling again ?) and then driving home.
Obviously not possible in the situation as it was at the time

As Lowdhams did not provide the September 2019 Hab Check paperwork (they said not needed for 1st year) and the 2020 one was not done, and I have no intention on selling for over 5 years, I'm inclined not to bother, it is after all a Hymer, so it should not leak !

Last edited:

Deleted User
IIRC the Hymer system has 3 elements, the hab check, damp check, and, underseal & chassis check. Only the dealers would underseal for me but the rest can be done anywhere but if in warranty you may not be covered.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
IIRC the Hymer system has 3 elements, the hab check, damp check, and, underseal & chassis check. Only the dealers would underseal for me but the rest can be done anywhere but if in warranty you may not be covered.
They don't do the underseal spray anymore, you only need the damp check for the water ingress warranty, no hab check needed for normal warranty. We have had 3 new Hymers never had a hab check, never had problems with warranty work.

• Informative
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Might be worth a conversation with Adventure Leisure at Tebay (see above post #5 from golly)👍👍
DJT
Problem is not my dealer who will fit me in it’s with Hymer who are being difficult I await their reply via my dealer

Deleted User
They don't do the underseal spray anymore, you only need the damp check for the water ingress warranty, no hab check needed for normal warranty. We have had 3 new Hymers never had a hab check, never had problems with warranty work.
Hi Lenny, thanks for that👍. We had the underseal last year with the Alko service but they wouldn't recognise a hab check done elsewhere. Our van is out of all warranties now so I'll get it done elsewhere - I still like a second opinion.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Anyone else like me and wondering if Hymer damp checks are really worth the time and money, at least in the UK? I don't mind paying €70 in Belgium on European trips but in this country, with so few dealers there just seems to be no alternative to paying £140/£150+ for at best 20/30 minutes work, especially as we are now wood free in the frame.

I know there have been the odd cases of water ingress on this forum but mine seems to be well built, (which is why we moved to a Hymer). Compared to our last UK built van which took 3 years to snag the only issue we have had with ours in the last 3 years is a replacement drawer handle.

Clearly tempting fate but it a bit like choosing to buy insurance when the alternative is to self insure.

So the question is - how comfortable do you feel in the build quality of your Hymer? And who has had issues that needed the warranty?

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I did have a warranty issue with the Hymer relating to water ingress.

in the end Travelworld had to remove the sealant between the left hand side of the roof and the van side and completely reseal it. It transpired that in the factory the sealant gun had stuttered and there were gaps in the sealant, all hidden behind a trim panel.

But due to the construction there was no damp, just a garage swimming in water. Once they’d fixed it we had no further issues, and it was fixed without any aggro.

as regards should you have it done every year - it’s a choice only you can make. If you’re going to hang on to the van for many years, you’ll probably be fine. But if you let the warranty lapse due to not having the checks done, I expect a dealer would knock off much more than the cost of the inspections from the trade in price. Might also be harder to sell privately.. (I’d not buy it for example, because I would wonder what other standard maintenance issues had also been missed....and there’s normally a good choice on the market.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back